Sponsored

Switching parking sensors to new bumper?

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
Mine don’t do anything. I get the parking sensor light and says something along the lines of parking sensors unavailable. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

drg6654

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Mine don’t do anything. I get the parking sensor light and says something along the lines of parking sensors unavailable. Any suggestions?
Any help with getting this resolved and replacement parts from the inside of a steel bumper?

celliott13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I am still tweaking mine. The two center sensors pick up a little low in the center if the ground is very level or slopes up slightly. I need to direct them more upward.
I have spent two days troubleshooting mine. With all the mopar bezels and clips in hand the best I could come up with is:
1. Moving the bezel for the drivers side to the drivers side center and vice versa.
2. Moving the bezel for the passenger side to the passenger side center and vice versa.

I still get warnings about something in the middle but it's not picking up the back edge of the tire. I do however think it's still picking up the outer edge of the tire, which will only get worse when I put my 37's on in a couple of weeks.

Several things to note, I do have the mopar oversize tire carrier kit installed already so it pushed the spare out by about 1.5 - 2 inches. This is the only thing I can think is causing the alert in the center two sensors. I have swung the tailgate open and the alert stops in the center and goes only to the passenger side where the tailgate is hanging over the sensor.

Now, for a fix. After a lot of trial and error, I wanted to have some sensors vs. disconnecting the whole thing and having none. I put a felt furniture pad over the top of the two sensors in the middle and the center doesn't alert anymore, but the outer ones do. Has to be something soft for some reason, electrical tape or rubber feet will only set them to go off. Doesn't look super fancy, but I'm sure it will blend in over time.

On a side note, I have reached out the Go Rhino for support and how to keep it from alerting on the spare as I do expect them to come up with a fix when the product clearly says it works with park sense sensors. I'll let you all know if I hear anything back from them on it.

20191010_165531.jpg

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I have spent two days troubleshooting mine. With all the mopar bezels and clips in hand the best I could come up with is:
1. Moving the bezel for the drivers side to the drivers side center and vice versa.
2. Moving the bezel for the passenger side to the passenger side center and vice versa.

I still get warnings about something in the middle but it's not picking up the back edge of the tire. I do however think it's still picking up the outer edge of the tire, which will only get worse when I put my 37's on in a couple of weeks.

Several things to note, I do have the mopar oversize tire carrier kit installed already so it pushed the spare out by about 1.5 - 2 inches. This is the only thing I can think is causing the alert in the center two sensors. I have swung the tailgate open and the alert stops in the center and goes only to the passenger side where the tailgate is hanging over the sensor.

Now, for a fix. After a lot of trial and error, I wanted to have some sensors vs. disconnecting the whole thing and having none. I put a felt furniture pad over the top of the two sensors in the middle and the center doesn't alert anymore, but the outer ones do. Has to be something soft for some reason, electrical tape or rubber feet will only set them to go off. Doesn't look super fancy, but I'm sure it will blend in over time.

On a side note, I have reached out the Go Rhino for support and how to keep it from alerting on the spare as I do expect them to come up with a fix when the product clearly says it works with park sense sensors. I'll let you all know if I hear anything back from them on it.

20191010_165531.jpg
I have the out two flawless, but the inner two cause me issues. Gonna work it soon.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
My two outside sensors pick up as I would expect them too. The two middle sensors seem to be pointed a little too far towards the ground, causing them to trip. I have played with them quite a bit to no avail. I notice that if backing down the driveway they don’t trip until I hit flat road at the bottom and the go off when the Jeep is not on any incline, hence why I think they’re directed too low. I just haven’t had time to remedy that. I did purchase the rubicon/steel bumper bezels so I should be able to make it work. Stock 18” Sahara wheels/stock tires.

Iko2019

First Name
Ed Quick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S

20191010_165531.jpg
Have you found a solution? I have the Go Rhino Spare Tire relocator and they have been zero help troubleshooting my sensor errors.

celliott13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Have you found a solution? I have the Go Rhino Spare Tire relocator and they have been zero help troubleshooting my sensor errors.
The felt pads over the two middle sensors is the best solution so far. GoRhino never got back to me with any solutions and I tried so many different positions, and angles for the mounts and the pads is the only thing that consistently works.

FWA05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on my Rubicon
any updates on this? I am looking at taking my plastic bumper off and installing the back up sensors in a metal bumper.

Sponsored

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
Update: The rear parking sensors are anchored differently on the OEM plastic bumper than on the steel bumper.
On the steel bumper the sensors are composed of three separate parts, two are installed from behind and the outer housing ring is inserted through the sensor hole from the outer side of the bumper. A locking cylinder is popped off from the back, the sensor is also removed from the back, and the outer ring is pulled out from the outer side. Just reverse the order and the sensors are installed in the steel bumper.

If you have a plastic rear bumper, you will much more work to do. The sensors are made of two parts, an outer housing/ring and the sensor itself.
You can unclip the sensor easily from the outer housing. But the plastic housing is thermally welded onto the plastic bumper!
To remove the housing, you will need a sharp pointed tool to gently lift up the housings' welded tabs upward slightly. Then using an L-shaped tool, gently continue to lift the tabs away from their welds (don't force/tear the tabs). The welds are fairly weak and will pull away without too much damage.
I labelled each sensor so that it would be in the same order in the new bumper as in the plastic one.
You will have to epoxy the plastic housing onto the new bumper. Check the diameter of the sensor hole to make sure that the sensor housings fits the holes. The epoxy you use should suitable for both plastic and steel. I marked the outline of the housings. On my plastic bumper the housing tabs were oriented horizontally, so I marked the tab positions the same way. You will probably need to sand away any paint or coating where the housing will be glued down. I wiped down the bare metal with a rag soaked in isopropyl alcohol, I then epoxied the housings into the sensor holes and let the glue dry over night.

I then proceeded to wire up the sensors and the wiring for the license plate.
why is the order of sensors important aren’t they the same part number?

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
why is the order of sensors important aren’t they the same part number?
It’s not the sensor order that matters other than when connected to the wiring they would only fit a layout of passenger across to driver side. It’s the bezel and housing order that matters.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

Jeep Wrangler JL Switching parking sensors to new bumper? 20191010_165531
I know this is an old thread, but wondering if you have the brand of the pads. Having a similar issue and my first Amazon trial didn’t work.

Noelskii

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Does the decoupler ring hold the sensor brackets in place? I went from plastic bumper to Mopar Steel bumper and I had to drill my own holes for the sensors. Brackets fit fine, but how do I keep them in place besides gluing them? Is this what the decoupler ring is for?

thanks!
Sponsored