Hitch extender anti-rattle

Scott_F

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Can anyone recommend a good anti-rattle device for a hitch extender? I need the extender for my bike carrier (which has its own anti-rattle hitch pin) to clear the spare, and I ordered a u-bolt type hitch tightener, but it won't work - mostly because the outside dimensions of the extender are nearly the same as the receiver on the Jeep. I almost ordered a anti-rattle pin that has the insert that goes inside the extender, but none of them had very good reviews (not durable). I' really like to have the whole affair tightened down so it's not wobbling around when I drive.

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Scott_F

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
What are the exterior dimensions of the extension?

This might work:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-Rattle/Roadmaster/RM-062.html
I looked at that one, but I believe it has to go around the receiver on the jeep and there is hardly any room to get something around it - it's very tight up against the bumper and the safety chain loops. I didn't measure the outside of my extension yet, but it's probably 2 1/4" ish. I'm wondering if a larger u-bolt type with the folded plate will work. The problem is that most of these are for 2" ball mounts and the u-bolt won't go around my extender.
61n-vXJkmiL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Sponsored

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
It wasn't for my bike carrier (because I don't have one of those) but I recently took a composite wedge shim and wedged it between my draw bar and the receiver tube. I then secured it to the draw bar using a wire tie and duct tape so it will always be there. It got rid of the rattle when I towed my trailer from St. Louis to Arkansas...and it was pretty darn cheap.
new_wedge_poly_90458837.jpg

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using this for years for exactly that purpose. It works really well. I bought a cheap extension from Harbor Freight to pair with it. It's super tight - no movement at all. Easy on / off.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-Rattle/Lets-Go-Aero/63232.html
I use something similar and it's worked great. Still some play but I haven't heard the hitch rattle. I also own one of the u-bolt with plate devices shown above that I've used on other vehicles but I haven't needed it on the Wrangler.

Hwy 395

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
The set up I referenced above, once tightened, has zero play at all in any direction. You can stand on it, jump up and down on the extension, and it acts as if it's a welded frame member with no movement at all - no matter what you do. It's ideal for a bike rack extension or other rack type fixture, where you want no extra movement at all introduced. Together with my "1 Up" bike rack which also locks solidly with zero play into this extension, it's a rigid system for carrying expensive road or mt. bikes on crappy roads.

Highly recommended for that type application. i searched many possibilities before coming across this. If I somehow lost it, I'd order another immediately. It would be less important for trailer pulling though as a totally rigid system is not really needed there.

Philipclopez

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
2167 West Virginia Avenue Albany, NY 12204
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
CZC Auto make all the difference to using my bike racks with my Yukon XL. I elevate the bike racks from the 2in receiver with an additional elbow to maximize clearance between ground and bikes/rack. These units tighten up the whole arrangement easily - each bracket takes 2 mins to fit, perfect for going on journeys with the bike racks loaded

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dalton07

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Daewoo Tocsa
After researching many kinds of anti-rattle hitch devices, I think that I like the LIBERRWAY hitch tightener. I found that this hitch tightener was quite versatile, as it’s ideal for any 1.25-inch or 2-inch hitch. I also love this device’s durability, which comes from its heavy-duty design. This design consists of a stainless steel U-bolt and a thick powder-coated plate, which are both rust-resistant. In addition, it can reduce hitch noise for hitch racks, bike racks, trailer ball mounts, hitch receivers, and cargo carriers.

Last edited:

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I had the same problem with my bike carrrier. I tried the clamps mentioned above, but wasn't really happy with the extra hardware. I bought one of these and it seems to work great in the 2 times I've used it, with a Yakama Single Bike rack..
Sponsored