Sponsored

Protecting doors from idiots door dinging you?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I park far away, and usually look for end spots, the wider the better. But, people still seem to find a way. I remember on the Camaro forum, not long after the 5th gen came out and I had one, some lady said she parked far away only to see a guy in a beater purposefully ding her door and then say "that's what you get for trying not to get dinged"?!?!
KABOOM...

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, kids getting out of the rear of a vehicle are a big concern. I don't see how rock sliders, side steps, or any other common vehicle accessory will prevent these dings. Look at the shape of the rear door:

2018-Hyundai-Accent-Blue-Doors-Open-FLIPPED.png
That Rear Door is like a switch blade for Dings! !! :bandit:

Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Rock sliders on the jeep, running boards on the RAM. Ding away idiots!
Yeah, I had running boards on my old ram. But the Mustang that parked next to me had doors that came to a nice point above the running board. We caught the bastard though. We had stopped at a local brewpub to return an empty party pig so we were only inside briefly. As we are waling out to the truck my wife sees the ding as I am behind the mustang trying to back out. I stopped him and got his insurance information, $920 to fix a door ding on my 3 month old truck.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I watched someone open their door into my stock Sahara running boards and laughed, he didn’t say anything and I didn’t have any damage. Might keep them just for this reason!

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
When I was in Bardstown KY I found a door ding on my Dodge Ram. Mind you I was parked on the end of a parking row as far way from the door as possible. This @sshole parked super close and dinged my door and had my paint transfer on his door. There was many other places to park much closer to the store. I took my foot and caved in the passenger door of the offending vehicle and drove off happy with myself. Now every time I wash my truck I laugh at my door ding.
Took my wife’s brand new maxima (2 days old) out shopping. When I returned an older VW van with the weird shaped doors had parked next to me. Their door put a nice ding in the fender almost the top of the fender of the Maxima like you said their door had our paint on it. well it wasn’t worth kicking their quarter panel as I’m not sure they’d notice. But all is not lost , even a Inconsiderate A hole driving a junker will notice when it stops running. So I sacrificed my super big gulp Coke into their gas tank. Smiled and giggled all my hostility and anger melted away and it still gets a chuckle to this day.

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Took my wife’s brand new maxima (2 days old) out shopping. When I returned an older VW van with the weird shaped doors had parked next to me. Their door put a nice ding in the fender almost the top of the fender of the Maxima like you said their door had our paint on it. well it wasn’t worth kicking their quarter panel as I’m not sure they’d notice. But all is not lost , even a Inconsiderate A hole driving a junker will notice when it stops running. So I sacrificed my super big gulp Coke into their gas tank. Smiled and giggled all my hostility and anger melted away and it still gets a chuckle to this day.
While I hate dings as much as the next guy, what you did was intentional and an overstep. And what if the van wasn’t the culprit?

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
Yeah, I had running boards on my old ram. But the Mustang that parked next to me had doors that came to a nice point above the running board. We caught the bastard though. We had stopped at a local brewpub to return an empty party pig so we were only inside briefly. As we are waling out to the truck my wife sees the ding as I am behind the mustang trying to back out. I stopped him and got his insurance information, $920 to fix a door ding on my 3 month old truck.
do-not-like.jpg

Glad you caught the guy. I wish I could be so lucky.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
While I hate dings as much as the next guy, what you did was intentional and an overstep. And what if the van wasn’t the culprit?
Liberal over reaction, read. My paint was on his door is how I knew and it lined up exactly. I live in the real world and your actions have consequences he had absolutely zero respect for my brand new investment, I showed him the same respect. This disrespectful person came crashing into my world. I am the innocent person the victim. If this person did not want his property touched he should have not touched my property. He initiated the first contact another words he threw the first punch.

Now , If the person was an upstanding citizen and they did it on accident and left a note that’s a whole different situation. That’s what respectful people do. They don’t get drinks poured down there gas tank. They get respect in return. You see how that works.

Last edited:

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
I agree, kids getting out of the rear of a vehicle are a big concern. I don't see how rock sliders, side steps, or any other common vehicle accessory will prevent these dings. Look at the shape of the rear door:

2018-Hyundai-Accent-Blue-Doors-Open-FLIPPED.png
Even at that angle I’m 3.5” taller and sitting on 37’s.