Clubs

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
yes , you have pretty much described my experience , in my opinion it is not as easy as VW shifting and those that have never driven manual tranny may be struggling with this one , the engine needs some rpm for the 1st otherwise it just stalls. There is I think way too much inactive play in the clutch pedal at the bottom and it takes time to feel the clutch active zone , who knows maybe mine is little different
Yeah, with the 3.8 JK I could start off very slowly - in a parking lot with slow cars still in front of me, for example - by just leaving it at idle and slowly engaging the clutch. You can't do that with the 3.6 JL.

saltyaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
42k miles and zero problems other than an occasional squeaky clutch pedal. To echo others in this thread - I wish reverse was geared a bit lower. 5th and 6th are great for me, but I live in flat coastal TX.

OP
OP

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Intrigued by the ones mentioning that they would like a lower reverse ratio.

Firstly, its lower than the NSG370. Second, has anyone that wants a lower reverse in the manual tried the auto? Its significantly higher than the manual. That was a major complaint on my ecodiesel, reverse needed to be lower so much that companies were making kits to unlock the front hubs when in 4 low so that you could back a heavy trailer up an incline much more easily.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
@bruno747
Iā€™ve had two issues in just over 11K miles. The first was a squeaky shifter that the dealer easily fixed. The second is a creaking noise when depressing the clutch (once fully warmed up).
I had the squeaky clutch issue and it was easily addressed by the dealer adjusting and greasing the spring. Have not had an issue since and it has been quite a few months and several thousand miles. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll fix it for u.

I have a squeaky shifter now and it just hasnā€™t bothered me enough to take it in. How did they address that? Next service visit Iā€™ll mention it.

Regarding the MT, I absolutely love in on my JLUR. Came from a manual ā€˜12 JKU that I drove for 103k. As others have said, the JL manual is a HUGE improvement. I DD the JLUR about 100 miles a day including in heavy NJ traffic and wouldnā€™t trade it for an auto.

Sponsored

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
Hey @sost1sg , for the squeaky shifter, the dealer removed the center console, removed the cable from the shifter and lubricated the pin, reinstalled...noise is gone. I think there is a star case or bulletin they could reference, but I don't have the number.

For the creaking clutch, the dealer replaced the pedal assembly and the master cylinder...still there. Which spring did they grease; was it the return spring?

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Hey @sost1sg , for the squeaky shifter, the dealer removed the center console, removed the cable from the shifter and lubricated the pin, reinstalled...noise is gone. I think there is a star case or bulletin they could reference, but I don't have the number.

For the creaking clutch, the dealer replaced the pedal assembly and the master cylinder...still there. Which spring did they grease; was it the return spring?
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Next tine itā€™s in for service Iā€™ll mention that. Yea it was the return spring. Every tine I would depress or release the clutch it would make an awful creak. They removed, greased and adjusted. Been quiet ever since.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I have a honda accord 6-spd manual and the JLUR. While people say its like a sports car, I take that to mean the shifting feel. It is NOT geared like a sports car. In the accord (also not a sports car), 1/2 are both acceleration gears. In the JL, 1st is make it roll forward, and 2/3 are acceleration gears. The jump from 4-5 in the accord is small, as is the jump to 6. They feel kind of linear (that's the wrong word). In the JL, in-town is all 3, some 4 unless there is no stopping involved. Highway is usually 5, and I only hit 6 over 70 mph. That's with the 4.1 gears. If I only had it for road driving, it would bother me, but when coupled with the offroad use, I really like it. I think I would have preferred it if they actually made it a little lower though, so I'm probably going to regear with 35" tires to 5.13s. Going from 33 to 35 tires and 4.1 to 5.1 gearing should drop the ratios by 17%. I'm hoping this gives me a 5 spd manual with a granny gear for hauling the boat up the ramp, and it should give a super low crawling gear in 4 lo.

TLDR: Great shifting, the gearing takes a bit of getting used to for on-road driving, but the combo works well offroad.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I've had manual all my life (except one mistake with a Hyundai) and most of them have been Jettas of all types. I was very worried about how a manual Jeep would drive. I first test drove a 2017 and I did not like it at all. It just seemed way too clunky, even though I knew I was comparing it to my Jetta. But then I finally found a manual 2019 an hour away from my house. I test drove that and was 100% relieved!

So, I ordered my manual 2019 Sahara and this thing is smooooth.

Sponsored

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
I have a honda accord 6-spd manual and the JLUR. While people say its like a sports car, I take that to mean the shifting feel. It is NOT geared like a sports car. In the accord (also not a sports car), 1/2 are both acceleration gears. In the JL, 1st is make it roll forward, and 2/3 are acceleration gears. The jump from 4-5 in the accord is small, as is the jump to 6. They feel kind of linear (that's the wrong word). In the JL, in-town is all 3, some 4 unless there is no stopping involved. ...
Agreed. While shifting in the JL is smooth and nice, it's really not even remotely a sports car in feel. It feels like shifting a modern truck, which is good because that's what it is for the most part. Really, once you get used to the ratios, it's pretty easy in daily on road driving. 3rd and 4th (especially) are long, 5th and 6th are both overdrives. Like you said, 1st is pretty much only used from a complete stop and 2 and up once you get moving. If i'm anywhere over say 6 mph, I stay in second. Trying to drive at low speeds 2hi in 1st is a recipe for bucking.

Ultimately it's nice, and after the clutch broke in a bit, it's a very pleasant daily overall.

For comparison, my other car is a well dialed in 96' Miata. Now that shifts like sports car, and it's really no comparison. To say it's a joy to row the gears in that car is an understatement, however to be fair, that car is one of the most fun things ever made.

Happos2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
I have 12k on my 18JL Rubi and still loving the stick. No issues (other than some creaking which doesn't bother me). Works well offroad as well, no issues there. Also it works well in cold conditions, didn't have issues this winter and it was always predictable.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
When we, or I should say I, say it feels like a sports car, I'm talking about the smooth shifting and shorter throw in the JL. Nobody here thinks it IS a sports car. I will say that the clutch on mine feels as good as any sports car I've owned, or driven, though.

We are NOT talking about the gearing. For the most part, it is geared as it should be for what it is and is designed to do.

I will also say it is lots of fun to go through the gears on a twisty road. Much more so than any Jeep or truck I've ever driven. They really got this thing right, IMO. Yes, I'd tweak the gear ratios, but they can't make everybody happy with that. Everyone has their own priorities.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It's a great transmission but for the life of me I cannot figure out why they made reverse so high. I got stuck in deep wet snow this spring and the 3.8 didn't have enough power to spin the wheels in reverse (no torque on these engines, but that's another pet peeve). So I went into 4Lo and then the wheels spin easy in reverse, but wayyyy too slow for a situation where you need wheel speed, hahaha (rubicon t-case).

Backing up a hill is also tough, constantly slipping the clutch.

All the pros of this tranny are great though. Smooth, quiet, short throws, easy clutch (almost too easy). I'd do it again.

Seriously considering going to 4.56 gears but keeping the stock 33" tires. 6th gear would be more usable on the highway and reverse would be more functional. 1st gear would be too short but I would just start out in 2nd. Might be a fun experiment.

ostaz

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Both my wife and I have 6 speed manuals. Hers is a 2018 JLU Sahara and mine a JLU Sport....the manual trans is fantastic! I've only driven stick for the past 30 years (1997 4-runner, Porsche Boxter) and I really love to drive this car. It is a WAY different experience than driving the automatic. Also, the clutch engagement gets even better once the car has been driven for 1 or 2K miles. Anyway...I like it!
Sponsored