Sponsored

Adding hitch receiver to 2018 JL Sahara?

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Earlier post of mine. I have a sport s.

Don’t think I’ve seen details on this:

I wanted a hitch for a bike rack only (not towing, so wiring not needed). I tried the $55 jk/JL smittybilt from CJ Pony but it was very loose. I contacted smittybilt and they said it wasn’t for JL and a specific JL was coming. Back to CJPony it went. I then bought the mopar JL hitch:

Mopar part# 68251844AB
Grabbed from CJ Pony for $80 shipped. It doesn’t come with hardware, so here’s my $16 boltdepot.com part list for my sport s (Rubi may include some of this hardware?). Not sure lock washers are needed, but they can’t hurt? Hope this helps someone doing the same.
- 1.5 bolts for welded nuts on hitch (so, no nuts needed)
- 1.75 bolts/nuts for outside holes.

Your Order
Product#
Description Quantity Unit Price Subtotal
6346 Metric hex bolts, Zinc plated class 8.8 steel, 12mm x 1.5mm x 120mm 2 pcs $1.67 $3.34

6779 Metric hex bolts, Zinc plated class 10.9 steel, 12mm x 1.75mm x 120mm 2 pcs $1.80 $3.60

6886 Metric hex nuts, Zinc plated class 10.9 steel, 12mm x 1.75mm 2 pcs $0.24 $0.48

7744 Metric flat washers, Zinc plated class 10.9 steel, 12mm 6 pcs $0.23 $1.38

4829 Metric lock washers, Zinc plated steel, 12mm 4 pcs $0.13 $0.52

Summary
Subtotal: $9.32
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $6.80
Total: $16.12

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding hitch receiver to 2018 JL Sahara? {filename}

BWWJL, Oct 21, 2018

I have a Hollywood bike rack and I don’t need an extension, but I only have 1-2” spacing between my flat pedals on my trek stache. Road bike w speed plays has plenty of spacing.

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just order this hitch and their wiring kit. Free shipping, around 210 total cost.
I just installed the hitch last night. The end of the hitch is about flush with the bumper. Fit was very tight but no drilling was needed.

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
That's the other one I've been considering, but I can't tell if the receiver tube is as long as the etrailer one.
Fyi. I put this one on. Etrailer. I think it was $75. Came with the bolt sets. It fits flush basically. Maybe a little overhang

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Got my hitch from e-trailer and the wiring package that goes inline with your brake lights so no splicing or cutting necessary. Hardest part was running the power wire to the fuse box up to the engine but they have a great video showing you how. Actually ran the wiring through the frame rail. Hitch looks great IMO.

Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"
Item # 76104

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/76104.html

Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
Item # C56407

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Curt/C56407.html

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Got my hitch from e-trailer and the wiring package that goes inline with your brake lights so no splicing or cutting necessary. Hardest part was running the power wire to the fuse box up to the engine but they have a great video showing you how. Actually ran the wiring through the frame rail. Hitch looks great IMO.

Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"
Item # 76104

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/76104.html

Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
Item # C56407

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Curt/C56407.html

Do you have LED lights?

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I bought a Draw Tite hitch from etrailer. It fit, but I was upgrading my factory hitch, nowhere in their instructions or in their brochures was there any information that said that if you already have a factory hitch installed you would not be able to install it without taking down the Trailer wire bracket, cutting the wires and getting a new trailer wire bracket. Where the draw tight goes, it covers up that area. I didn’t find that out until after the install when I tried to put the trailer wire bracket back. I contacted tech support and gave them pictures on what was wrong and he said oh that must not be factory. Even when he looked at the photos with the factory installed threaded nuts for the bolts in the factory frame member. When I called to return it, I was told it have to pay a $30 return fee(fair, maybe) and it had to come back in uninstalled shape(not fair). But of course I had already installed it to find out that it didn’t work with factory installed Trailer wire bracket. So if you’re upgrading, forewarned is forearmed. The Factory trailer wire bracket is much more robust. Now that they know it doesn’t work with a factory installed hitch on a JL wrangler maybe they’ll put that in there info, or maybe not and they’ll be more unhappy customers like me. Do you know how Stanley of Stanley tools, made his fortune. He was complete, when you bought your hinges from him you got the screws for the hinges as well. You did not need to go back out to another store to buy the screws, I got screwed! Probably would not of bought it had I known. I was after the extra inches(like she was) that the actual receiver sticks back from the bumper. To get more room from the boat on the trailer to the spare tire. The swinging door is another issue, the boat is so close to the Jeep that the gate won’t open far, but I knew that.

Sponsored

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I just installed the same hitch from Etrailer with the wiring kit and it’s perfect. Well worth the $225 in my opinion. Looks factory and my trailer lights are much brighter than my previous hookup.

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I just installed the same hitch from Etrailer with the wiring kit and it’s perfect. Well worth the $225 in my opinion. Looks factory and my trailer lights are much brighter than my previous hookup.

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Curt hitch and Tekonsha wiring harness from amazon. Bought the 7 pin conversion from etrailer so I have both 4 pin and 7 pin option for the rare occasion I pull small camper with trailer brakes. Wiring wasn’t too bad but had to run 2 power lines to battery so I took my time and hid the lines used wire loom etc to protect it

jeep917

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Curt hitch and Tekonsha wiring harness from amazon. Bought the 7 pin conversion from etrailer so I have both 4 pin and 7 pin option for the rare occasion I pull small camper with trailer brakes. Wiring wasn’t too bad but had to run 2 power lines to battery so I took my time and hid the lines used wire loom etc to protect it
I am trying to figure out what i need to order to install the tekonsha wiring harness. Unfortunately, i have not found any great ways to mount the wiring harness. How did you attach the bracket that holds the connectors? did you have to drill holes or did you use one of the no-drill brackets? Thanks

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I am trying to figure out what i need to order to install the tekonsha wiring harness. Unfortunately, i have not found any great ways to mount the wiring harness. How did you attach the bracket that holds the connectors? did you have to drill holes or did you use one of the no-drill brackets? Thanks
I ended up adding a 7 pin round receptor but I used one of the existing screws under the bumper and then one self tapping screw into the bumper. One new hole and then hid wires up under bumper
Sponsored