Sponsored

Are there any security cargo covers that truly work with soft top down?

OP
OP
Trav.city

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
To second the above post, the soft top will not lock with the Slipstream. A bit pricey, but Diabolical also sells a soft top cover (photo from Diabolical). It compacts the soft top down just a little bit, but mainly it keeps the soft top from bouncing or moving while driving...and it does this very well. Also, it makes the top look nicer when looking at it in the rear view mirror.

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 1.30.24 PM.png
Thanks for the picture. I was wondering how high it sat.
Sponsored

gabeguy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubi (SOLD) , 2007 FJ Cruiser, 1954 Willys
I have the Slipstream as well, but I run a soft top. Be prepared to have to strap down your soft top if you get one and the top doesn’t sit down the whole way, so the lock doesn’t work. I strap mine down with Velcro around the bar for the back window. I also use two straps around cargo hooks attached to the hard top screws I’ve got. I love my Slipstream, but just didn’t want you to be surprised if you get one.
Check out their website again. I just ordered one for my two door after watching the installation video and the have addressed the soft top issue I believe. Check out their products page, the shorter tie down rails are free upgrades to previous customers and they also have a soft top wrap/cover.

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
I have the tuffy security system and works with the soft top. I’ll try to get pictures later. It’s been on for a year and works well..., but a little more expensive than what I wanted to pay.... just don’t have the tools/space to build my own.

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
Check out their website again. I just ordered one for my two door after watching the installation video and the have addressed the soft top issue I believe. Check out their products page, the shorter tie down rails are free upgrades to previous customers and they also have a soft top wrap/cover.
The shorter tie down rails still do not allow the soft top to lock down. Without the Slipstream the soft top folds down below the level of the tub to lock. With the Slipstream (or any of these security enclosures) the soft top can only be flush with the tub.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I'm pretty sure I can make a fairly minor adjustment to my design to allow the soft top to fold down like it should.
Basically add a hinge to the top panels (and/or rails), and have 2 settings for the rear panel. One level for when the top is up, and one that angles the rear panel down to allow the soft top to recess like it should.
Not a huge revision, but based on a rough understanding of the soft top's function, it shouldn't be too difficult to do. If I could get my hands on a soft top, I'm sure I could come up with a functional design. I don't know why the commercial companies aren't doing this. At the very least as an optional design like they do with/without the Alpine radio.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trav.city

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure I can make a fairly minor adjustment to my design to allow the soft top to fold down like it should.
Basically add a hinge to the top panels (and/or rails), and have 2 settings for the rear panel. One level for when the top is up, and one that angles the rear panel down to allow the soft top to recess like it should.
Not a huge revision, but based on a rough understanding of the soft top's function, it shouldn't be too difficult to do. If I could get my hands on a soft top, I'm sure I could come up with a functional design. I don't know why the commercial companies aren't doing this. At the very least as an optional design like they do with/without the Alpine radio.
I agree. Thanks again for sharing your ideas. You can see the small pocket that was designed for the soft top to sit in right behind the roll bar. Maybe they will read this and realize people don’t what the soft top sitting 4”s higher than it was designed to.

TimR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the picture. I was wondering how high it sat.
It's not really that bad. This was one of the things that I was really worried about with the Slipstream, but it's not really that bad. Keep in mind that I'm not that tall...it takes out half of the view that I normally had, but I can still see traffic behind me. Plus, you have your side mirrors. And if you REALLY want to see behind you, just turn on your rear cam.

I have the wrap from Diabolical also...it definitely helps keep everything wrapped up and looking nice. As you can see in the picture, I use two straps to keep it down as a safety measure. It takes me all of 30 seconds to attachment them. Granted, I would love for the top to be able to go down all the way so that it locks, but this is a workable solution. Love my Slipstream. Best thing on the market.

IMG-3751.JPG

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I agree. Thanks again for sharing your ideas. You can see the small pocket that was designed for the soft top to sit in right behind the roll bar. Maybe they will read this and realize people don’t what the soft top sitting 4”s higher than it was designed to.
Ah, yes I guess I have noticed those pockets before. Never really thought about them being there to allow the soft top to recess into them. If that's all the added depth needed, you could most definitely modify one of the DIY designs to accommodate it.

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
I thought through this a lot before as well, but you'd have to hinge the top panel, both wing skins, and the tie down rails that are on top of the wing skins. Not totally undoable, but the wing skins and rails would require some metal cutting.

Just wanted to point this out. I ended up getting the Slipstream and honestly love it. I can leave the top down and feel secure that my stuff is outta sight and secure. I use two straps to compress my soft top and help with visibility, then add a bungee on each side (attached to the tie down rails) to keep the whole unit from moving. It's a bit more work but worth the tradeoff for me.

This picture isn't the best angle, but you can see one of my straps (yellow arrow pointing to it) and the red bungee...

IMG_9451 2.jpg

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I love how the Jeep Backbone security cargo carrier fits and that it is aluminum. Although for the soft top version, I wish it actually dipped down to accommodate the soft top in the down position, then maybe add a piano hinge to open the back up 12” or so. In my opinion, when the soft top is down is when your cargo area is most vulnerable and the only reason I want one. I emailed Jeep backbone to please send a picture with the soft top down and they have yet to send it.

Back to the title, Does anyone know of any hard security cargo box that actually works well with a soft top down?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Security Cover.jpg

Sponsored

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I love how the Jeep Backbone security cargo carrier fits and that it is aluminum. Although for the soft top version, I wish it actually dipped down to accommodate the soft top in the down position, then maybe add a piano hinge to open the back up 12” or so. In my opinion, when the soft top is down is when your cargo area is most vulnerable and the only reason I want one. I emailed Jeep backbone to please send a picture with the soft top down and they have yet to send it.

Back to the title, Does anyone know of any hard security cargo box that actually works well with a soft top down?

I posted a picture of the Backbone below. Note no bolts attached to the outside like the Slipstream. Undue the Slipstream outer bolts and you have access to the back. Not a great design. I had the Backbone on my 2018 Sahara soft top and loved it. I just traded that vehicle in for a 2019 Sahar with the hard top and the Backbone wont fit it so I plan on selling it for $300 and its in excellent shape. My email is [email protected]. I will be selling it for local pickup only.

Security Cover.jpg

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
I posted a picture of the Backbone below. Note no bolts attached to the outside like the Slipstream. Undue the Slipstream outer bolts and you have access to the back. Not a great design. I had the Backbone on my 2018 Sahara soft top and loved it. I just traded that vehicle in for a 2019 Sahar with the hard top and the Backbone wont fit it so I plan on selling it for $300 and its in excellent shape. My email is [email protected]. I will be selling it for local pickup only.

Security Cover.jpg
No you don't. There's a metal tab attached on the bottom which slides in under the metal tub of the jeep, so you can't lift those panels up.
Sponsored