Extreme Terrain Deceptive ?

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
If anyone is undertaking any modification to their vehicle, they need to have a full understanding of what they are doing or seek professional assistance.

Many vendors sell complete axle assemblies, ring and pinions, suspension conversions, hydro assist setups, etc... and don’t include any instructions or full list of required parts. Much like those installs which will require extensive modification and additional expenses, research on this topic would have revealed this issue. Take it as a lesson learned.

Get the knowledge you need or a skilled friend to help and get to learn your Jeep during the install.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Crypton1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Maybe we're being a bit harsh on your misfortune (and I can be a jerk at times too). It sucks when a large purchase goes awry in spite of due diligence. While you are justified in feeling there should have been some additional information regarding the wiring harness requirements, to suggest that Extreme Terrain take the product back is unreasonable. It was installed so it would end up being scrapped without any defect whatsoever. ET couldn't recoup the cost as there is no warrantable issue.

Oh... one question... did you even ask them to take it back? Your post insinuates that you were waiting for them to offer a free return (that they didn't do)... did you ask to return it?

Can the issue be corrected? Absolutely. Will it cost? Yeah... probably... but until then you have a factory mopar hard top. That's the difference between getting it that way from the factory and buying one after the fact. The hard top still works, you just won't have a rear defroster or wiper.

It's a problem that can be solved without requiring returning the product. And I don't see a need for ET to change the description... there are LOTS of people who figure out how to do stuff to their Jeeps that is freaking amazing. I'm not one of them. If I had to do this I'd bite the bullet and pay someone to get it done right. Buyer beware and lesson learned.

I hope you solve the problem, I really do. But IMHO some of your expectations are just not realistic.
Yeah I'm probably going to bite the bullet and do the install . To answer you're question I did not ask them to take the top back. What I was looking for was a change on the website explaining what was required to complete the install and maybe the offer to take it back ( which I very well might have declined but at least the effort was made) I was just extremely frustrated with the entire ordeal . I mean who buys hard tops other than people who already started with a factory soft top ?

I have put a ton of work into my Jeep (about 10k in upgrades and add ons) and numerous times I have run into Instructions that are incomplete leaving out things that could really bite into the time it takes to do an install it gets very frustrating but I guess that's the price you pay for doing it on your own and not having the experience of doing it numerous times like a pro installer would. I do these things myself now because I have also had some bad experiences with installers . One sound dealer literally destroyed my dash on another vehicle by over tightening screws cracking all the plastic then had the nerve to say it was already like that on a brand new vehicle.

You're point on being harsh .... Some were a bit harsh but that's to be expected on the Internet and especially on Forums but sellers who take the time to sell products to people they know are doing an install for the first time should take some responsibility to make sure the descriptions they offer are correct (or more informative if they have large time consuming installs) as well as the videos. They actually admitted to me this should have never happened and that I was correct yet somehow I post it here and I'm the bad guy :)

OP
OP

Crypton1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no need for them to take down the video. The video shows how to install the part that they sell.
No actually its does not. At the beginning of the video they claim they just removed the factory SOFT TOP but never showed any of that nor did they say that the harness was an extensive install. Why, if they just removed said factory soft top, would they not make this clear to people installing the new hard top obviously they had to do the harness install right ???? Why would they not show the removal of the soft top to begin with ? If they Just removed a factory soft top How then did they show plugging in the harness which should not have even been there in the first place ? if you can explain that then I'm all ears

OP
OP

Crypton1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If anyone is undertaking any modification to their vehicle, they need to have a full understanding of what they are doing or seek professional assistance.

Many vendors sell complete axle assemblies, ring and pinions, suspension conversions, hydro assist setups, etc... and don’t include any instructions or full list of required parts. Much like those installs which will require extensive modification and additional expenses, research on this topic would have revealed this issue. Take it as a lesson learned.

Get the knowledge you need or a skilled friend to help and get to learn your Jeep during the install.
I would agree with you 100 % if this was a product I ordered from a dealer and decided to install it myself. But that's not the case on a lot of these conversions upgrades or add ons. A lot of this stuff is sold to the public as after market and to people they know are doing this on their own that's why most of these websites offer videos to help install and instructions. They know this and advertise as such so if you are going to advertise that then you need to back up your claims and this is not just for my top its for every after market item they sell. You claim these are the right informative instructions then back it up. Its a wonderful service they offer but that comes with some responsibility.

If I tell a friend I can help him install a bumper go ahead and buy it then he asks for help and I go to his house and can't get the Job done do I just walk away and say sorry bud see ya later ?

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
No actually its does not. At the beginning of the video they claim they just removed the factory SOFT TOP but never showed any of that nor did they say that the harness was an extensive install. Why, if they just removed said factory soft top, would they not make this clear to people installing the new hard top obviously they had to do the harness install right ???? Why would they not show the removal of the soft top to begin with ? If they Just removed a factory soft top How then did they show plugging in the harness which should not have even been there in the first place ? if you can explain that then I'm all ears
Watch the video from 4 mins 25 seconds.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Crypton1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Watch the video from 4 mins 25 seconds.
I watched the video I know they say you need a Harness they do also say this was a factory hard top Jeep in the first place so they might not have known what it takes to install the conversion kit. At the beginning of the video they say this is going to be for those soft top owners who want to install a hard top . My point is a conversion kit is different than a simple harness. It includes installing the entire assembly signals and washers on the steering wheel. Its not just plugging in a few wires. It probably requires removing the dash and running wires and tubes the length of the Jeep which I'm sure have to be routed a certain way since it includes running the tubes for the Washer fluid. With all this happening it would have been nice to know ahead of time.

And FWIW they told me they were going to remove the video and they actually put me on hold while they watched it. They also said there would be a detailed description explaining that there would be a time consuming install on the conversion kit that should be researched before buying the top .... Did you see that change ? I don't

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I would agree with you 100 % if this was a product I ordered from a dealer and decided to install it myself. But that's not the case on a lot of these conversions upgrades or add ons. A lot of this stuff is sold to the public as after market and to people they know are doing this on their own that's why most of these websites offer videos to help install and instructions. They know this and advertise as such so if you are going to advertise that then you need to back up your claims and this is not just for my top its for every after market item they sell. You claim these are the right informative instructions then back it up. Its a wonderful service they offer but that comes with some responsibility.

If I tell a friend I can help him install a bumper go ahead and buy it then he asks for help and I go to his house and can't get the Job done do I just walk away and say sorry bud see ya later ?

To address your first argument, they have no responsibility of ensuring you have the brains and talent to install a product they offer for sale. That is your job. If you can’t get the job done, you consult the help of a professional. I can see that you aren’t willing to accept any responsibility or take any rational approach to resolving it, so you should probably contact every civil attorney you can find and being the class action so you can be some warrior for the uniformed jeepers from coast to coast.

In regards to your second nonsensical paragraph, you are obviously still lacking brain cells if you agree to a job you don’t have the skills to complete for your hypothetical friend. Also, your friend is obviously in the dark and you’d be a bad friend for trying to assist in an area that you obviously have no business in.

OP
OP

Crypton1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To address your first argument, they have no responsibility of ensuring you have the brains and talent to install a product they offer for sale. That is your job. If you can’t get the job done, you consult the help of a professional. I can see that you aren’t willing to accept any responsibility or take any rational approach to resolving it, so you should probably contact every civil attorney you can find and being the class action so you can be some warrior for the uniformed jeepers from coast to coast.

In regards to your second nonsensical paragraph, you are obviously still lacking brain cells if you agree to a job you don’t have the skills to complete for your hypothetical friend. Also, your friend is obviously in the dark and you’d be a bad friend for trying to assist in an area that you obviously have no business in.
Funny I don't remember insulting you in my post yet you felt the need to do so here . I honestly couldn't care less about you're opinion and you seem to be the one lacking brain cells to post what you just did in response. Its obvious you can't understand the concept of customer service and its not about having brain power at all. I know exactly what its going to take to install that conversion but it will take someone who has not done the Job a significant amount of time to complete the Job by taking apart the dash to get all those additions to work along with the steering wheel and all the parts to run those wires and tubes to the back of the Jeep. All I asked of ET was to make people aware this could turn into a very time consuming addition and a 300 dollar conversion kit. I'm not sure that's too much to ask and they actually agreed so just STFU and try to understand the company I am dealing with already said they were wrong and should in fact change the sales page to reflect that .

The other response of suing and starting a class action law suit is equally stupid. If you have nothing to offer other than something to inflame this situation further do everyone a favor and stop posting in this thread and putting out childish accusations. Also if you are so brilliant maybe you could have offered a solution like a video on how to install the Conversion, problem is there are none that I can find on a JL at this stage.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Funny I don't remember insulting you in my post yet you felt the need to do so here . I honestly couldn't care less about you're opinion and you seem to be the one lacking brain cells to post what you just did in response. Its obvious you can't understand the concept of customer service and its not about having brain power at all. I know exactly what its going to take to install that conversion but it will take someone who has not done the Job a significant amount of time to complete the Job by taking apart the dash to get all those additions to work along with the steering wheel and all the parts to run those wires and tubes to the back of the Jeep. All I asked of ET was to make people aware this could turn into a very time consuming addition and a 300 dollar conversion kit. I'm not sure that's too much to ask and they actually agreed so just STFU and try to understand the company I am dealing with already said they were wrong and should in fact change the sales page to reflect that .

The other response of suing and starting a class action law suit is equally stupid. If you have nothing to offer other than something to inflame this situation further do everyone a favor and stop posting in this thread and putting out childish accusations. Also if you are so brilliant maybe you could have offered a solution like a video on how to install the Conversion, problem is there are none that I can find on a JL at this stage.

So if they did what you want, why are you complaining?

If you know how to fix it, what do you need from us?

The insult was to a hypothetical situation that you posed. Not you directly. It was focused at your poor analogy.

The issue is, an unreasonable complaint.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Be very careful when Purchasing from this company or any after market company for that matter because I have seen things like this in the Jeep market before. I was looking to purchase a Mopar Hardtop and found one on Extreme Terrain. I watched the install Video and read the entire description on the website before I made such a large purchase. They stated in a few places that all you needed to complete the install was a Harness to connect the wiper and fluid hose. So I purchased the top and it was delivered in excellent shape but I had forgotten to order the Harness.

So when the top arrived I removed my soft top and all the hardware associated with it and installed the top. I then remembered about the Harness so I went to Extreme Terrain to look for a harness and much to my surprise they don't sell one ? So then I looked on Amazon and found out that it's not a wiring harness that is needed it's an entire conversion kit !! A conversion kit that is not just wires its the entire kit including a whole new assembly for the steering column controls tubes to run the washer fluid from the front of the Jeep to the back and all the wiring associated with running the wiper. This Kit cost $300 and the install I'm guessing will be a huge undertaking. It would have been nice to know all of this in advance and now I feel Like I'm stuck with another 1,000 dollars + in install fee's because Im being told this is not just a case of running wires and pulling off a steering wheel it involves air bags and other crap as well.

I was not happy that Extreme Terrain did not make this very clear in their description and in their video which clearly states all you need is a simple harness. Here is the page link https://www.extremeterrain.com/mopar-hard-top-2018-jl-4-door.html .Whats even more funny is they tried to tell me (when I called) they don't make the video's ??? So I said, "So you don't make the video's but since you posted them on you're Website you are certainly responsible for their content"

My next step was to call Extreme Terrain and let them know they really should change their website description and Video to include the disclaimer that this is a very intensive install and a conversion kit is needed that could cost in the neighborhood of 1000 + to complete the hardtop accessories and full install. They apologised and fully agreed with me this was a huge oversight on their part and I asked if there was anything they could do to help out and they basically said no to any help on the Conversion kit or the install but offered me a 50 credit to buy anything in their store ??? So were sorry we basically screwed you but heres fifty dollars to spend on our products ? They also said they would take down the video and include the added expense in the description for the harness and install but three days later the same damn ad is up there and so is the Video. Smart sales team Terrible customer service and that's never a good combination for the consumer.

I see what they are doing here and they will probably deny it, but they don't want you to know the added cost because then you may not purchase the product which is very deceptive. I've seen this before and I'm guessing it won't be the last time. I'm very through when I make a purchase and I was in this case as well but the info was simply not there for me to see if I wanted to incur all these added costs so in the end I guess Im screwed and Extreme Terrain couldn't care less IMHO.
The bold part is the important part. The rest is noise. You didn’t research or buy what they specifically told you that you needed to buy as part of your primary purchase. You were not “thorough”. You were anything but. They specifically told you what you needed to also buy ...... “in a few places” in the video. You didn’t research that and you didn’t buy it.

And, I don’t consider this ‘deceptive.” Not in the least. I think that the very fact that you posted this “deceptive?’ Thread despite what seems to me is pretty good pre-sale and after-sales customer service from ET, makes me sad. Seems to me that the title of this thread should have been “boy did I screw up!”.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Crypton1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bold part is the important part. The rest is noise. You didn’t research or buy what they specifically told you that you needed to buy as part of your primary purchase. You were not “thorough”. You were anything but. They specifically told you what you needed to also buy ...... “in a few places” in the video. You didn’t research that and you didn’t buy it.

And, I don’t consider this ‘deceptive.” Not in the least. I think that the very fact that you posted this “deceptive?’ Thread despite what seems to me is pretty good pre-sale and after-sales customer service from ET, makes me sad. Seems to me that the title of this thread should have been “boy did I screw up!”.
No the important part is I see you failed to read that its a conversion kit not a harness and that they said to me it was a huge oversight on their part and that they agreed with me the video should be updated as well as the advertisement. Its funny how everyone is attacking me and blaming me for this when the vendor actually told me it was their fault. Thanks for the help or any alternative Ideas it's greatly appreciated.

Funny they said to me they were going to update the site stating this install needed a conversion kit which requires removing the dash running wires and tubes from the front to the back of the Jeep and removal of the steering wheel and replacing all of the controls . I was at least happy that this would not happen to other people. But guess what ? The website has not been changed at all. No mention of a conversion kit and it still says its a simple install. Sorry but they were the ones who took the blame for this and agreed it was an over sight on their part yet they have done absolutely nothing to prevent this from happening again even after they promised they would

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
No the important part is I see you failed to read that its a conversion kit not a harness and that they said to me it was a huge oversight on their part and that they agreed with me the video should be updated as well as the advertisement. Its funny how everyone is attacking me and blaming me for this when the vendor actually told me it was their fault. Thanks for the help or any alternative Ideas it's greatly appreciated.

Funny they said to me they were going to update the site stating this install needed a conversion kit which requires removing the dash running wires and tubes from the front to the back of the Jeep and removal of the steering wheel and replacing all of the controls . I was at least happy that this would not happen to other people. But guess what ? The website has not been changed at all. No mention of a conversion kit and it still says its a simple install. Sorry but they were the ones who took the blame for this and agreed it was an over sight on their part yet they have done absolutely nothing to prevent this from happening again even after they promised they would

Should’ve made them pinky promise.

OP
OP

Crypton1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well today a full conversion kit arrived at my house. I had no idea this was happening but Extreme terrain sent the kit . So I called them to express my thanks . Looks like they back up their claim of Great customer service
Sponsored