Insurance for Wrangler JL – Off Road Cover

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker RED JLUR
Delivery of my JLUR is imminent (1st week of August) and currently shopping around for the insurance (Comprehensive).

Have noticed, most of the online quotation is around $2K year. Taking into consideration i have not had any accident for over 7 years and got no demerit points. My current car insurance is about $700 a year so almost 3 times for the Wrangler. I guess my current POS car cost less then $10K/Market value, that pays in insurance savings.

I also noticed most of the standard run of the mill insurance company have no specific clause on Off-Road incidents. wondering if you guys are getting an off-road specific insurance cover? if yes from whom?

Also what are your yearly insurance estimates for the Wrangler JL?

PS: Above is for Victoria, Melbourne.
Sponsored

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
all things considered, 2K is high.
perhaps it softtop make it more risky?
Shop around, ask questions, often cheap is not the best, but 2 k seems pretty high to me.. but then i old. lol
ps most good ins cover for 'off road' anyhow.. but always ask to be sure

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Made enquiries on this last year, but couldn’t get a price as the JL hadn’t been released. From memory AAMI & NRMA both covered off road with their fully comprehensive insurance. Budget Direct will be cheaper, but their reviews aren’t great, coverage isn’t as good. Suggest picking up the phone and talking to your insurer. Ask what their interpretation of “off road” is. Some will only cover you on a gazetted road, not a fire trail or 4x4 park, found this out after taking out a tree on Frasier island in 2005, I was only covered because the track I was on was listed as a gazetted road. $2K for the premium does seem high, would have expected something around the $1k mark? Make sure it includes annual windscreen cover as they seem to break on the JL, and aren’t covered under warranty.

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Slow work day – got two online quotes, one for a sport for $1193 & another for a rubi for $1342. Both include windscreen cover. $2K’S too high, shop around.

JEEP.PNG

jeep2.PNG

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
723C2131-1F6D-48F7-9224-2E4CF01FFA0D.jpeg
723C2131-1F6D-48F7-9224-2E4CF01FFA0D.jpeg
Slow work day – got two online quotes, one for a sport for $1193 & another for a rubi for $1342. Both include windscreen cover. $2K’S too high, shop around.

JEEP.PNG

jeep2.PNG
Hi Steve0,

It looks like they increased price, or just I mis-selected anything? I did an online quote as well. For 3.6 rubicon, it’s $1952/year (comprehensive plus + windshield).

DC264A6B-5B5E-4FB6-B1E6-DC205DEF8856.jpeg

Sponsored

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
I'm in my late 40's, age, post code, where you park (street/carport/garage) how many k's you travel per annum & claim history will make a difference to premiums. Still it shouldn't be that big a difference. Keep shopping around, I'm sure you'll find a better deal.

OP
OP
Alamein.sajib

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker RED JLUR
I'm in my late 40's, age, post code, where you park (street/carport/garage) how many k's you travel per annum & claim history will make a difference to premiums. Still it shouldn't be that big a difference. Keep shopping around, I'm sure you'll find a better deal.
I am 30 and my NRMA quote was close to $3K....Sucks to be young i say! Going to call around next week again to see if i can drop it under $2K.

abbot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
I went with the NRMA and was charged ~1300AUD for a Sydney post code. It was the best one I could find..

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I have been with Mercury for years, pricing is great and between house and auto have had maybe 5 claims, we were always very happy with how mercury treated us when we needed them..

Had my broker check with mercury

"I spoke with Mercury claims and they confirmed that there is typically coverage while you are off-roading, but we recommend reviewing the policy jacket to see if any exclusions would apply in your specific situation (see attached). I have not had a client turn in a claim for off road damage yet but I don't see any exclusions specific regarding off road driving; except in regards to towing or if you are off-roading while in a pre-arranged contest/competitive event or on any track/facility that may be used for such contest/event. Again, we recommend reviewing the attached yourself to see if anything else would apply to you.

Equipment installed by the manufacturer (not the dealership) is automatically insured. I have attached a list that shows what is covered at no additional charge, items that need to be added at an additional charge in order to be covered, and items not covered at all. Stock rims are covered but if you have custom rims and want them covered, I can get a quotation for you. We would just need the approximate value to get a premium. Suspension/Lift kits are not covered and cannot be added for an additional charge. If a policy vehicle exceeds the ground to frame height limit of 23 inches for private passenger automobiles, 27 inches for small trucks/minivans, 30 inches for large trucks up to 7,500 pounds and 31 inches for larger trucks, they are are unacceptable under Mercury's program."

below is print screen of included items.. and attached is the mercury policy.. i could not find an exclusion for offroad..

so they look to be a good national option for Jeepers..

upload_2019-7-18_9-38-18.png

Attachments

Invech

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl Rubicon
Comprehensive, I got less $800 for my JLU from Allianz on Wednesday, I am at QLD
Sponsored