Bestop negative experience?

424hamst

First Name
Kal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Mine was Bestop 56863-35 Black Diamond purchased from Morris 4x4. Curious if anyone got their rebate as well. When double checking my version it made me realize I never got my rebate from Bestop either.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Interesting, mine was the JL 4 door twill but different part number - 56863-17

But both go to the same page, so I wonder if in the back end, there's a new product with some changes for the problems they had... I put your part or my part and they both go to the same page that doesn't show a part number specifically.

Hmpf. Nope. I just added one to my cart and when it shows the part number, it's still the -17 on the bestop page...

Figured maybe that's the difference between the company you bought it from and me buying it direct, but both part numbers work on the bestop site...

424hamst

First Name
Kal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe the part # difference is 56863-17 is black twill, 56863-35 is Black Diamond. You bought the higher end one, while I wend with the lower priced version based on the part #'s.

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I believe the part # difference is 56863-17 is black twill, 56863-35 is Black Diamond. You bought the higher end one, while I wend with the lower priced version based on the part #'s.
Doh! I didn't even notice what you said with the description of the Diamond version right there, I was thinking of the other poster who specified they also had the twill....

Sigh... I need some Jack Daniels apparently. ;)

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I bought the twill fastback for my 2 door and have no issues. Wish you luck

Sponsored

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Blows my mind when you see the fit between a factory top and a bestop. I had the nx and the pro on my jk. The tailgate bar was a joke on the nx and the rear glass didn’t seat well with the pro at the tailgate. The factory tailgate bar was designed so much better than the piece of crap bestop gave out with their tops. What I don’t get is if you are building all of the factory tops how did they come up with that junk for their tailgate bar. Product development has been so slow from them for the jl. I really wanted a trektop for my jl but after seeing all the bad reviews and complaints I’m probably just gonna hold off till I can get an oem top at a decent price.

GGguy77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop Twill a couple months ago. At first, no issues. Now, when I open it I get a lot of flapping from 40+ that was not there initially. My satellite radio goes out and in a lot more now as well. My guess is the fabric has loosened up and rides higher, causing it to flap and block the gps antenna as well.

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Finally got a box to return this junk - $230 I have to pay out of pocket to return a product that was defective. This is just unbelievable. I've never had a company force me to pay return shipping for something that was defective, and didn't work... I know all my future jeeps will only be purchased with hard tops, I'll never do anything that gets this company another penny from me.

424hamst

First Name
Kal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanted to report back that after several iterations, our top is now correct and seems to have all issues resolved. Bestop sent a complete new top, rear window, and rear crossbar. I noticed that the issue with our rear window flopping was that the velcro at the rear of the first top was not sewn on so it eventually peeled off and allowed the rear window to flop at highway speeds. This new one with the velcro sewn on really made a big difference and has completely resolved the flopping issue. The new rear crossbar has a larger one-piece seal that corrected the gap across the middle of the rear cargo door. All in all very pleased with the top now.

Just wanted to give people some follow up that Bestop customer service really stepped up and went out of their way to make sure our top was corrected. I believe our issue was based on it being a very early production run as I purchased this as soon as they were released and it must have had a few glitches that got worked out as time went on. Overall very pleased with the top now and based on what they have corrected, would definitely recommend this top now to anyone considering going this route.

OP
OP
jdthird

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Glad your experience was good, but the fact that they made me pay $230 to return a defective product tells me there's something wrong with their business practices...
Sponsored