Sponsored

Which Switch for A-pillar lights?

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Looking to run a rigid side shooter (D-ss) and rigid D—series pro on each cowl (rigid cowl mount). Would all 4 lights be ok to run on a 15 amp aux switch or do they need to be run on one of the 40 amp switches? I have the Factory aux switches.
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
That's gonna depend upon what they draw. I have 2 pair of the D-series midnights on aux 1 since I have no immediate need for anything requiring a higher draw.

I'd use a 40-amp switch to be safe, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable about this will step in.

There's a discusson on this post about the same subject for Baja LP9's.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/baja-designs-lp9-install.19299/

OP
OP
skrubi12

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That's gonna depend upon what they draw. I have 2 pair of the D-series midnights on aux 1 since I have no immediate need for anything requiring a higher draw.

I'd use a 40-amp switch to be safe, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable about this will step in.

There's a discusson on this post about the same subject for Baja LP9's.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/baja-designs-lp9-install.19299/

Per their website the sideshooter floods draw 3.36 amps each and the regular d-series spots draw 2.14 amps each...if I’m doing the math correctly thats 11 amps. Using the wattage specs i’m coming up with 11.32 or 12.83 total for all 4 (depending on using 13.6 volts or 12 volts, respectively - not sure which is accurate)

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Per their website the sideshooter floods draw 3.36 amps each and the regular d-series spots draw 2.14 amps each...if I’m doing the math correctly thats 11 amps. Using the wattage specs i’m coming up with 11.32 or 12.83 total for all 4 (depending on using 13.6 volts or 12 volts, respectively - not sure which is accurate)
Should be fine using either 3 or 4. I have cubes on the A pillar and the bumper and did each set to 3 or 4 as I wanted to control them independently but you should be able to run them to just 3 or 4 if you prefer.

OP
OP
skrubi12

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@1quick1 thanks! I’ll take your word for it but hoping someone that has done this also chimes in - just hoping for redundant advice

Sponsored

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
this is the right math, you have some good overhead on the load with a 15A fuse.

Should be fine using either 3 or 4. I have cubes on the A pillar and the bumper and did each set to 3 or 4 as I wanted to control them independently but you should be able to run them to just 3 or 4 if you prefer.
all four will be fine on one 15A switch. i put them on separate switches so i could operate them separately. so i used AUX3 for the upper cowl lights, AUX4 for the lower cowl lights.

OP
OP
skrubi12

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@LunchBoxFab right on brother! I appreciate the feedback.

Next question: should I use both harnesses (comes with the set) cutting off the relay/switch and splicing the 2 hot wires to the switch wire and two ground wires to a ring terminal (and ground bolt) or use a splitter for a single harness (split each of the 2 Deutsch connectors into 2 (one for each light)? I’m Not really sure how having two lights on one end of a single harness will impact the load on the fairly small gauge wire.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@LunchBoxFab right on brother! I appreciate the feedback.

Next question: should I use both harnesses (comes with the set) cutting off the relay/switch and splicing the 2 hot wires to the switch wire and two ground wires to a ring terminal (and ground bolt) or use a splitter for a single harness (split each of the 2 Deutsch connectors into 2 (one for each light)? I’m Not really sure how having two lights on one end of a single harness will impact the load on the fairly small gauge wire.
i have some blue heat shrink connectors that will accept both LED wires on one side and fit the larger single factory wire on the other side.

OP
OP
skrubi12

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well I decided to run them to separate switches. I have the spots in Aux2 and the floods on Aux4 - both are 15 amp switches in the accessory mopar switch setup (I don’t have the two package - I could have sworn 2&4 were 15 in the tow package per the manual.). I’m not very mechanically inclined but all seemed to work out. I really like the rigid cowl mount as I’m able to mount the lights out to the sides a bit and still lower the windshield if I want.

7834D293-F47E-42EF-B5E9-199944060CE1.jpeg
Sponsored