Lock receiver to frame?

MD Jeep

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S JLU - Sting Gray
I have searched everywhere but am only coming up with hitch pin and coupler locks. What about securing the actual receiver to the frame? I have the Curt receiver with no wiring and it is only secured to the frame by 4 bolts and nuts. Hitch pin locks are great to secure my cargo basket to the receiver but what is stopping someone from simply removing the receiver and basket all together in one piece and working on separating them afterwards? Your help is appreciated!!
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
WHAT ????

What is stopping someone from STEALING YOUR ENG/TRANS---FENDERS--WINDSHIELD ???

Worry about something more LOGICAL/PLAUSIABLE/ !

W.E.

JIMBO

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You could weld the hitch mounting nuts onto the bolts if you wanted to make it impossible to remove. You must park your trailer in some pretty shady places if this is actually something that might happen to your Jeep.

Last edited:

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
IS THIS GUY FOR REAL. Someone please steal his front WINDOW THERES NO BOLTS IN IT. (LOL)

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
It's a legit concern. I had a friend whose jet skis and trailer were stolen from a hotel parking lot. They unbolted the receiver hitch from his truck. and took it and everything attached behind it.

There's lots you can do....but having insurance is the most practical.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
1. Wrap a cable lock around the receiver and frame really tight or
2. See if you can find a bolt that fits the receiver that has the same threads as a wheel stud, use that bolt and wheel locks or
3. Purposefully round the nuts off. You'll have to use vice grips or something if you go to remove the receiver later

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
It's a legit concern. I had a friend whose jet skis and trailer were stolen from a hotel parking lot. They unbolted the receiver hitch from his truck. and took it and everything attached behind it.

There's lots you can do....but having insurance is the most practical.
Interesting, did they have the same model of truck - if there was surveillance video? I've heard of people unbolting the coupler from the trailer and slapping on a new coupler, but not taking the receiver. Was the trailer locked to the receiver in a way that was more than just the coupler?

OP
OP

MD Jeep

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S JLU - Sting Gray
Thanks for the replies! Good ideas. Not securing the receiver seems like a weakness to the hitch pin locking process the same as locking a bike to an unsecured object would be. I realize all of this is just a deterrent and where there is a will there is a way but I am surprised they don’t make a “receiver bolt lock” similar to the hitch pin lock (space could be the issue and non-universal fit for vehicles). I am not in a bad area though so perhaps I am just being paranoid. Thanks for the help!

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Interesting, did they have the same model of truck - if there was surveillance video? I've heard of people unbolting the coupler from the trailer and slapping on a new coupler, but not taking the receiver. Was the trailer locked to the receiver in a way that was more than just the coupler?
This was more than a few years ago - before when cameras were common. We used to do a bunch of endurance jet ski races down in Baja Mexico. This one was in San Felipe. I don't recall his exact lock setup, but like the rest of use, I'd bet that they locked the skis to the trailer and the trailer to the receiver with huge cables. We all knew that the cables could be cut, but it was at least a deterrent. Generally speaking the hotel was considered reasonably safe, but you never know. Basically everything was locked to everything, but the receiver wasn't locked to the truck (I recall it was a Suburban). Who'd have thought of that? I do now! Yes, I know that when simple coupler locks are used they disassemble them or remove the ball from the hitch. Never under-estimate someone who's motivated!

It doesn't matter if it's the same model truck, as they're not going to install it. They just strap or tie it to whatever they can on the back of their truck. You'd be surprised what and how people will do stuff down there. All it has to do is go a few streets away where they either live or can remount whatever they have.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Anytime I am concerned about something like that happening to a vehicle (or concerned about the bolts loosening without me realizing it), I have a friend do a couple weld beads to hold it if all the bolts were to come out.
i.e., after installing Blue Ox base plates that are bolt on, I have them tacked on too. (the newer plates come with cables to secure them - must've had a problem?)

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
It doesn't matter if it's the same model truck, as they're not going to install it. They just strap or tie it to whatever they can on the back of their truck. You'd be surprised what and how people will do stuff down there. All it has to do is go a few streets away where they either live or can remount whatever they have.
Didn't realize it was in MX, having spent quite a bit of time working there, I'm not surprised.
Sponsored