Sponsored

Budget (but safe) flat tow

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've read the "Best flat tow setup" thread but see a lot of recommendations for top of the line gear, all in near $2000 between brackets, bars, lights, brakes, etc. While that high end gear certainly has its place, is there room for a budget setup that doesn't compromise safety?

For example, probably not much room to save money on tow plates/attachment points since the JL is new, but what about tow bars/brakes/lights that are more universal? How about pre-owned gear that looks visually new?

My specific situation is I would like to flat tow our 2 door Sport behind a 2013 F150 (eboboost/max tow/HD payload) about 4 hours from the valley into the mountains. Family and camp gear in the truck, JL pretty much empty.

What does your budget (but safe) flat tow setup look like?
Sponsored

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
You have probably heard the term "Buy once, Cry once." This is probably one area where you do not want to skimp. Your best bet for less expensive gear might be looking on Craigslist, or some of the RV Forums for used equipment. A new supplemental brake system easily approaches $1000 or more alone.

OP
OP
EDH_JL

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've found a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar with accessories ($425) and Roadmaster Even Brake ($300) in "excellent condition" (isn't everything on CL?). Asking prices for both.
Maximus3 tow loops $220 new
Maximus3 blue ox lugs $195 new
Magnetic brake lights and misc wiring $30
Total ~$1200, self installed. What else am I missing?

Tow vehicle has both 7 and 4 pin connectors, JL has tow package if that matters at all.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I might be cheaper to purchase a used car trailer and save the wear and tear on the ball joints and other front end components. Flat towing is hard on frames and front end of all cars. If you don’t tow it all the time try U-haul and wear their crap out not yours.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Spending $2500 for a legal setup rents a lot of trailers at $50 a day

Sponsored

OP
OP
EDH_JL

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I might be cheaper to purchase a used car trailer and save the wear and tear on the ball joints and other front end components. Flat towing is hard on frames and front end of all cars. If you don’t tow it all the time try U-haul and wear their crap out not yours.
Spending $2500 for a legal setup rents a lot of trailers at $50 a day
I don't have room for a car trailer, and Uhaul at $50/day for a week long trip is $400 after tax and fees. That adds up quick and you have to find a place to park the trailer plus two vehicles all week.

The cheapest option is just to drive two vehicles, but with a wife and two kids we prefer to all be in the same vehicle together

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I don't have room for a car trailer, and Uhaul at $50/day for a week long trip is $400 after tax and fees. That adds up quick and you have to find a place to park the trailer plus two vehicles all week.

The cheapest option is just to drive two vehicles, but with a wife and two kids we prefer to all be in the same vehicle together
My wife is a travel nurse. I tow a 40’ 5th wheel with the Dodge dually and she follows/leads it sucks. Sometimes the drive is 2000 miles. The upside is, you can take more crap with you