Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL 2.0T Sport S
Occupation
Sales and tech support for MetalCloak
How well have they performed when coming down hard on rocks?
They hold up well. We run a support that goes from the bottom of the cap to the side of the frame to ensure this will not be an issue.
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
They hold up well. We run a support that goes from the bottom of the cap to the side of the frame to ensure this will not be an issue.
Any additional pics of this rear bumper? side profile or anything? Any experience with the end caps pushing into the body or anything? I really like the full coverage design. I assume it can take a hit if the departure angle is tight. Also, I see you guys have a plate relocation kit. I assume no issues with that working on a stock rubi wheel, right? Thanks.

CloakedWillys

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL 2.0T Sport S
Occupation
Sales and tech support for MetalCloak
I
Any additional pics of this rear bumper? side profile or anything? Any experience with the end caps pushing into the body or anything? I really like the full coverage design. I assume it can take a hit if the departure angle is tight. Also, I see you guys have a plate relocation kit. I assume no issues with that working on a stock rubi wheel, right? Thanks.

I will try to get a pic posted here but they are fully sported on the end caps with a leg that goes to the side of the frame. We wanted to be able to com down on them without the risk of body damage.

https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-full-width-rear-bumper.html
BTW, We did include some more pics on the product page recently.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a photo of the MetalCloak rear bumper on my 2018 Rubicon. The bumper is sturdy, well made and I think it looks good. You can't go wrong with MetalCloak products.

Rosie's rear bumper.jpg
Do you have any side pics? Curious how it ties in with fender flares.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here you are. I can take a close shot tomorrow if you like.
7FC63B56-6A1E-4FD3-94D1-DD469B56A444.jpeg
That’s perfect. Thanks. I like how right it fits to the body. I was looking for something as skip as the motobilt but with more side protection. Only think I’m still not sure on is the trailer plug location to my spare. I wonder if I could leave the plug mounted below if I wanted to.

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
That’s perfect. Thanks. I like how right it fits to the body. I was looking for something as skip as the motobilt but with more side protection. Only think I’m still not sure on is the trailer plug location to my spare. I wonder if I could leave the plug mounted below if I wanted to.
One of the selling points for me was the trailer plug location on the bumper, up out of he way. I have re-installed my spare tire and will send you a new photo later this AM.

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Mike, attached is a another photo of the MC bumper with tire installed. My tires are 315’s.

42D0B8EB-2A99-49CC-B2FB-2FB91C052880.jpeg

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mike, attached is a another photo of the MC bumper with tire installed. My tires are 315’s.

42D0B8EB-2A99-49CC-B2FB-2FB91C052880.jpeg
First, your Jeep is dope. Second, a 315 is like a 35, right? So I’m afraid my 37 will get too close to the 7 pin side of the plug. I have an echo trailer brake controller and I’m afraid it will touch. Maybe not. Might just have to order and see. If it was too close, can you still mount the plug below? I thought I saw in the install video that you reuse the bolts in the same spot.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
First, your Jeep is dope. Second, a 315 is like a 35, right? So I’m afraid my 37 will get too close to the 7 pin side of the plug. I have an echo trailer brake controller and I’m afraid it will touch. Maybe not. Might just have to order and see. If it was too close, can you still mount the plug below? I thought I saw in the install video that you reuse the bolts in the same spot.
We run 37s and there’s plenty of room around the plug

Brett

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak rear bumpers for JL? 42D0B8EB-2A99-49CC-B2FB-2FB91C052880
I’m considering this one and the ATP rear bumper. Any more trail testing with yours? Feel good about your body corners?

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
I just installed my MetalCloak narrow width rear bumper. I love the way the bumper looks, and it feels incredibly solid. I ripped off my stock plastic bumper in Moab, and took some body damage from the bumper crashing into the quarter panel. I have no more concerns about body damage with the new one.

A couple of things to note if you plan on getting a MetalCloak bumper:
  1. I have 35x12.5 Patagonia's on the stock tailgate carrier, no riser. I can't shut the tailgate with the tire installed. I'm not sure if a stock 33" KO2 would fit. I ordered the Rough Country riser from Amazon because I could get it in two days, I'll report back once I have it installed.
  2. Some of the instructions were out of order. According to the manual, you loosely install the center bumper portion with the factory hardware to the frame rails. After that you install the end caps and tighten them down. Then you are supposed to tighten the factory hardware to the frame rails. Problem is, once the end caps are installed there is no way that I saw that you could get a wrench up to the factory bolts at this point. I'm not sure if maybe this is a 2 door/4 door thing, but I have a body bolt bracket right in the way of reaching those bolts once the end caps are installed. Or maybe it's because the instructions were actually written for the Full Width end caps, where there might have been room for a wrench to sneak in. Either way, if you install the Narrow Width bumper, DEFINITELY tighten the stock frame bolts before installing the end caps.
  3. The instructions say that they provide anti-seize for all the stainless hardware, but I didn't receive any in my kit. Make sure you have some on hand before you start, or you'll be bumming a ride to Autozone because you can't drive yourself because you have no bumper/license plate.
It's a sweet bumper, the install was just a little wonky. Instruction manuals and online tutorials always under report the amount of times you assemble, disassemble, and reassemble :LOL:

I also installed the MetalCloak license plate bracket. The instructions were really straight forward, but it does take some work to run the wire to the passenger tail light where it gets spliced in. The kit is barebones, you make all of the electrical connections yourself. I replaced the butt-splices that MetalCloak provided and went with fully insulated ones. I'm not sure if this is necessary, but it makes me feel better.

I finished up pretty late last night so I didn't take any pictures. I'll add some tonight.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I just installed my MetalCloak narrow width rear bumper. I love the way the bumper looks, and it feels incredibly solid. I ripped off my stock plastic bumper in Moab, and took some body damage from the bumper crashing into the quarter panel. I have no more concerns about body damage with the new one.

A couple of things to note if you plan on getting a MetalCloak bumper:
  1. I have 35x12.5 Patagonia's on the stock tailgate carrier, no riser. I can't shut the tailgate with the tire installed. I'm not sure if a stock 33" KO2 would fit. I ordered the Rough Country riser from Amazon because I could get it in two days, I'll report back once I have it installed.
  2. Some of the instructions were out of order. According to the manual, you loosely install the center bumper portion with the factory hardware to the frame rails. After that you install the end caps and tighten them down. Then you are supposed to tighten the factory hardware to the frame rails. Problem is, once the end caps are installed there is no way that I saw that you could get a wrench up to the factory bolts at this point. I'm not sure if maybe this is a 2 door/4 door thing, but I have a body bolt bracket right in the way of reaching those bolts once the end caps are installed. Or maybe it's because the instructions were actually written for the Full Width end caps, where there might have been room for a wrench to sneak in. Either way, if you install the Narrow Width bumper, DEFINITELY tighten the stock frame bolts before installing the end caps.
  3. The instructions say that they provide anti-seize for all the stainless hardware, but I didn't receive any in my kit. Make sure you have some on hand before you start, or you'll be bumming a ride to Autozone because you can't drive yourself because you have no bumper/license plate.
It's a sweet bumper, the install was just a little wonky. Instruction manuals and online tutorials always under report the amount of times you assemble, disassemble, and reassemble :LOL:

I also installed the MetalCloak license plate bracket. The instructions were really straight forward, but it does take some work to run the wire to the passenger tail light where it gets spliced in. The kit is barebones, you make all of the electrical connections yourself. I replaced the butt-splices that MetalCloak provided and went with fully insulated ones. I'm not sure if this is necessary, but it makes me feel better.

I finished up pretty late last night so I didn't take any pictures. I'll add some tonight.
I just had the full width bumper put on my jeep. I already had the mopar bracket for bigger tires installed. The fit is perfect. I have no regrets about getting the bumper.
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak rear bumpers for JL? 20210731_085039
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak rear bumpers for JL? 20210729_191235
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak rear bumpers for JL? 20210729_191321

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What’s the weight of the rear full length bumper. Can’t find it on the site.
Sponsored