DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I've wanted to go to this event my entire life and decided this is the year! The F-35 Lightning is in its first show season where it can do a demo with the gloves off and really show what it can do, so I saw it would be there and that's all the excuse I needed.

SInce I've never been, I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has any tips. I'm tossing around the idea of camping, but will probably get a hotel within an hour or so of the air show. If we (me and three of my kids) decide to camp, how are the showers? Nice? Overcrowded? How far is the camping area from the event area? I'm assuming there is plenty of food to be had around there, too, right? We'll be taking our JL, not an airplane, lol. We'll be leaving on the afternoon of the 26th and then spending the entire day at the show, including the night show.

Any other tips would be appreciated. I'll be watching the extended forecasts very closely. What is the weather typically like up there at the end of July? I'm guessing chances are it will be hot and mostly sunny.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Well, I've wanted to go to this event my entire life and decided this is the year! The F-35 Lightning is in its first show season where it can do a demo with the gloves off and really show what it can do, so I saw it would be there and that's all the excuse I needed.

SInce I've never been, I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has any tips. I'm tossing around the idea of camping, but will probably get a hotel within an hour or so of the air show. If we (me and three of my kids) decide to camp, how are the showers? Nice? Overcrowded? How far is the camping area from the event area? I'm assuming there is plenty of food to be had around there, too, right? We'll be taking our JL, not an airplane, lol. We'll be leaving on the afternoon of the 26th and then spending the entire day at the show, including the night show.

Any other tips would be appreciated. I'll be watching the extended forecasts very closely. What is the weather typically like up there at the end of July? I'm guessing chances are it will be hot and mostly sunny.
Friends of mine are going, driving this year, and purchased their EAA AirVenture Oshkosh tickets in advance, thru Eaa.org website. Plenty of advice, information on camping ,tips from the website and blogs...on my Bucket List, enjoy

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be there! In or around the Epic Aircraft pavilion.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What kinds of things are happening at the Epic Aircraft Pavillion? It sounds like it could be very interesting!

It is looking like the F-35 demo is Friday. I've got to see if I can get out of a major event at work that morning to get there for it. If not, I'll just have to settle for the F-22 Saturday evening. Lol.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
If you don't have hotel reservations yet, good luck.

The restroom/shower facilities at camp Scholler aren't bad and you are correct, there are plenty of food vendors on site. As for distance from the "show", depends on when you get there. The closer sites will be occupied weeks before the event but no worries, they have school buses constantly running through the facility you ca hpo on. I used to take my bike and ride it to the entry gate. As you'll see, I wasn't the only one.

It's been years since my last visit, back in the 80s I'd spend a weeks vacation there every year. You'll be hard pressed to see everything, the event and the site are HUGE.

There are events at the "Theater in the woods" every night and movies shown outside every night. It will be much easier to take full advantage of everything there is to see and do if you're on site. Also, be sure to take lawn chairs with you that are easy to carry. Much more comfortable for watching the air show.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't have hotel reservations yet, good luck.

The restroom/shower facilities at camp Scholler aren't bad and you are correct, there are plenty of food vendors on site. As for distance from the "show", depends on when you get there. The closer sites will be occupied weeks before the event but no worries, they have school buses constantly running through the facility you ca hpo on. I used to take my bike and ride it to the entry gate. As you'll see, I wasn't the only one.

It's been years since my last visit, back in the 80s I'd spend a weeks vacation there every year. You'll be hard pressed to see everything, the event and the site are HUGE.

There are events at the "Theater in the woods" every night and movies shown outside every night. It will be much easier to take full advantage of everything there is to see and do if you're on site. Also, be sure to take lawn chairs with you that are easy to carry. Much more comfortable for watching the air show.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure we are going to camp since it is easier to see more. I've got tiny lawn chairs that are light and easy to carry and are fairly comfortable. Glad you reminded me of that!

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
What kinds of things are happening at the Epic Aircraft Pavillion? It sounds like it could be very interesting!

It is looking like the F-35 demo is Friday. I've got to see if I can get out of a major event at work that morning to get there for it. If not, I'll just have to settle for the F-22 Saturday evening. Lol.
Nothing special, just pimping out the E1000, due for certification this fall.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax

Awesome! I live about 20 minutes from Oshkosh. And although I've lived here all my life, I've only gone to the big event twice. I guess airplanes just don't get me excited, but they certainly do a very good job. Us locals try to avoid the area because the traffic can be brutal; although, it has gotten much better since they've expanded the number of lanes on Highway 41.

But, I do think it would be tough to get any hotel reservations at this point, so camping is probably your best option. There are some brand new hotels that recently opened in Appleton, including DoubleTree and Holiday Inn, so maybe check those out in case they weren't accepting reservations prior to opening.

Don't forget to eat some brats and cheese curds while here ;)

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
I grew up maybe 10-15 minutes form the grounds, never went to the event or museum in the 35 years I lived there. Ended up moving to Texas and on one of my visits back with the kids we visited the museum. When I lived there I really tried to avoid Oshkosh during the event.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I’ve been a pilot since 1990, and have never been to Oshkosh. Sad.
Sponsored