Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
Hi all,

I have a 2019 JLUR that I bought new a couple of months ago. If I park it nose down on my driveway (fairly steep driveway) with less than half a tank of fuel, when I start it up it the low fuel warning lights are all on, tank shows empty. It won't show the correct fuel level unless I drive for a while and then shut it off and restart. Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
something that would be an issue with any car, the fuel level sensor is just a float in the tank that sits in the middle and goes up and down with the fuel level. when you tilt the car forward or backward the liquid gas flows to the front or back causing the fuel level directly below the sensor to drop.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
something that would be an issue with any car, the fuel level sensor is just a float in the tank that sits in the middle and goes up and down with the fuel level. when you tilt the car forward or backward the liquid gas flows to the front or back causing the fuel level directly below the sensor to drop.
I thought newer cars use, for lack of a better term, electrical pulses in the gas tank to measure the fuel level?

OP
OP

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
Yeah, I get that...just seems weird that I can drive for half an hour uphill, downhill and flat and it will never normalize. Shut it off and restart it and it will jump right back to normal.

Reactions: J0E

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
kind of strange that it will do that at half tank. on my last jeep (grand cherokee). when i back into my driveway with less that a quarter of a tank, it'll show up empty. my drive way is not steep.i think that the fuel pump and float sits farther back in the tank vs centered.

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Same here. Have been at a buddy's house and he lives on a steep hill. If I have 1/4 tank left while driving, but I park steep nose down then restart the Jeep it will show completely empty with a warning light. I just ignore it and it eventually normalizes after about 2 minutes of driving.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I thought newer cars use, for lack of a better term, electrical pulses in the gas tank to measure the fuel level?
they probably do, but FCA bought a bunch of bobbers for fishing and... well you have no idea how much money they are saving!

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Yeah, I get that...just seems weird that I can drive for half an hour uphill, downhill and flat and it will never normalize. Shut it off and restart it and it will jump right back to normal.
Usually fuel level sensors do not refresh in realtime. It takes average over X amount of time. Otherwise bumps, acceleration, braking, corners, etc would cause your fuel gauge jump around for a while

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Usually fuel level sensors do not refresh in realtime. It takes average over X amount of time. Otherwise bumps, acceleration, braking, corners, etc would cause your fuel gauge jump around for a while
Exactly! Some manufacturers make that delay longer than others. Toyota was pretty terrible at that. After filling up my Tacoma, it took almost 5 minutes for the needle to reach full once you left the gas station.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
OP I'd be curious how long you could drive and never have it read the true level.

Personally, I'm guessing forever. I'm betting programming oversight. FCA is really good at that, too