Sat Radio reception

devron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I'm having the same issue here in NJ. Clear or cloudy no matter where I am the SXM signal drops out multiple times. I've had my Jeep for just over a month and was wondering what was going on. FM reception is fine. I traded a 2012 Ford Edge in that also had SXM and had no problems with reception. On another thread topic I'm also having the reported road wandering and steering issue. Starting to second guess myself that this may have not been such a great purchase. @JeepCares
Sponsored

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Initially I didn’t really have any issues. Then I started noticing a drop out when I drove by a specific building near my office. Then I started getting a few more totally random dropouts. This week I had the top down all week. Receiver fully exposed. Randomly would get so many bursts of short dropouts that I had to flip to fm. My Expedition works through tunnels and the occasional zombie apocolypse. My FCA Dodge Durango isn’t as good but doesn’t drop out ever in normal driving. Seems to be getting worse for me as time goes on.

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
I actually had reception issues with the AM/FM along with the SAT. AM had a shrill whistling noise. Pressed the 'seek' and it went away. Took it to the dealer and apparently there is a recent TSB to correct the issue. They performed the TSB and the radio is working good now.

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
same issue here in MD.

one spot on drive home seems to constantly be a dead spot, open road with tree line, other than that, seems random.

bad enough at times to turn to FM

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
same here. Had horrible reception on Friday. (it was windy, but not cloudy)

Sponsored

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
The dealership has no way to troubleshoot the issue. They are going to hear you out and undoubtedly, order you another satellite radio receiver.

The tech may take a looksee to make sure all looks aok up there where the satellite radio receiver resides up on top of the sound bar/roll bar.

Anyway, stop in and talk to the Service Manager. Forget dealing with the Service writer as he/she will smile but reality is they have little say about what will be done. Explain the situation to the Service Manager and point blank ask her/him to order you another satellite radio receiver if his tech finds nothing a muck when he looks your JLU over. My guess your polite request to the Service Manager will net you a new receiver.

Don't waste your time and fretting about it, just go to the dealer.
I've been told that unless they can reproduce a problem or get a code, Chrysler will not authorize the service department to do any work to fix a customer reported concern. Best bet, I guess, is to get the service manager to go on a test ride and hear it for himself. Otherwise, they're not likely to order anything, at least that's been my experience, quite consistently.

xxSubSeaxx

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Mine is cutting out so much that I switch to FM. I have three other cars with Sirius and no issues. Today was clear blue sky with the Freedom panels off and still cutting out. I am going to take it to the dealer this week.
I'm going to take mine back to the dealer as well. I have nearly 30k on my 2018 JLU sport, and the satellite radio reception is worse than I've ever seen on any vehicle - and I've been in quite a few. I've even got the directionality down - southeast is by far the worst, even if there are open fields on both sides. It'll still cut out. The only solid reception I ever seem to have is in the south to west quadrant. Northeast is pretty terrible; north is bad. East is bad. I'm sure you get it by now... I'm not sure I can remember the last time I got to listen to an entire song. >:-(

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It is pretty bad. Anytime I pull into the garage or even under the awning at Sonic, satellite radio disconnects. Another reason I just stream from my phone.

Sponsored

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I think the radio cuts out because it is recording ahead. When you switch channels you get the beginning of the song. You can hit replay And can hear the song again or even go back 30 minutes. This causes the issue. I can go under a bridge and then 45 seconds later I hear the break in the song. I have a potable xm radio and it does the same thing.

Fmaxcy

First Name
FLINT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL Rubicon
Anyone else notice the reception drop out quite a bit? Driving around town I'm losing reception a few times a song multiple times each drive. Nowhere near the reception quality of my JK or the wife's van.
Have you installed a roof rack on your JL. If so the location 7 inches behind the front door where it tells you to mount the front roof rack is directly above the seat receiver

OP
OP

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Have you installed a roof rack on your JL. If so the location 7 inches behind the front door where it tells you to mount the front roof rack is directly above the seat receiver
Initial post I had a ski rack. Moved it aft this winter and had much less reception issues than the year before.
Sponsored