Sponsored

Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
What pisses me off the most is the companies selling these products need to warn consumers of the potential risk when touching these body mount bolts. But no, instead they have a video of a girl with pink fingernail polish removing them.
I tend to agree with you on this. That said, the first post in this thread was a year ago. For the last year, folks have been suggesting problems with this bolt. Over and over. While Companies should discuss this on their websites, it was threads like this that have convinced me to not even bother to attempt putting on steps/sliders that use these bolts.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
What pisses me off the most is the companies selling these products need to warn consumers of the potential risk when touching these body mount bolts. But no, instead they have a video of a girl with pink fingernail polish removing them.
......with a 1/2 power impact.....
Thank you. And thank you @ExitLeft ..... I will hand tighten. Any idea what these bolts should be torqued to??
I used blue lock tight and 1/2 turn past snug.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I tend to agree with you on this. That said, the first post in this thread was a year ago. For the last year, folks have been suggesting problems with this bolt. Over and over. While Companies should discuss this on their websites, it was threads like this that have convinced me to not even bother to attempt putting on steps/sliders that use these bolts.
Same here. Before reading this thread I was set on getting the RockHard 4X4 slider, but they use these bolts. I ended up going with the LOD Destroyers instead and am glad I did. Theyā€™re a bit pricey, but I didnā€™t have to mess with these bolts.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Same here. Before reading this thread I was set on getting the RockHard 4X4 slider, but they use these bolts. I ended up going with the LOD Destroyers instead and am glad I did. Theyā€™re a bit pricey, but I didnā€™t have to mess with these bolts.
May I ask if you drilled the ā€œoptionalā€ holes or not?

What about you @oceanblue2019 ?

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
May I ask if you drilled the ā€œoptionalā€ holes or not?

What about you @oceanblue2019 ?
Thereā€™s three holes that are recommended to be drilled. I only drilled one, the forward most one on the passenger side. The two rear most holes I did not drill. Seems solid enough for what I do. Would be simple to drill it, but I just got lazy. LOL

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I was thinking the same thing, but the LOD destroyers are in no way as strong as the RockHard. The signature series LOD however is stronger IMO but weighs a lot more and you lose ground clearance. There are quite a few very well thought of rocker guards out there using the same method as RockHard's. It's a pretty darn stout method for protection so a REAL shame JEEP made this the issue it is. However there is a method to use but I get the apprehension. It sucks. lol

I do like the look of the destroyer better then most. It also can take a pretty good hit on rocks with it's 10 gauge bottom edge but it's not a stout rock smashing unit like the signature or the RockHard. If not bouncing off rocks much the destroyer is pretty good no doubt.

Marshall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited
Purchased the RSE steps and then stumbled across the body bolt issue on this site. Spent 2 weeks researching past issues from others, and putting together a plan of attack. Ultimately, I took on the task of installing the rails on my own this past weekend and successfully (luckily) installed the RSE step rails. They work great. Used an oxy acetylene torch in 30-sec intervals to heat the front body bolts to 400-450F. Used a breaker-bar with little resistance after heating the bolts. My biggest issue was the washers not separating from the bolt heads. Took some creative hammering to create a gap for the RSE body bolt mounts.

On a side note, I called RSE about tips on using the AUX switches included with the tow package. RSE said that others who had installed the RSE step rails had had issues with odd power cycling. Decided to follow the standard RSE instructions vs. using the AUX switches.

Rescuedelta8

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I have a 2018 JLU sport. Successfully installed the drivers side barricade rock slider. Started working on the passenger. Went slow at the passenger front bolt. 3/4 way out, pow. Sheared bolt. I couldnā€™t believe it. Ordered new bolt today as none in stock anywhere of course. Going to try to drill out the rest since itā€™s close. You might note how much red thread locker was on this particular bolt that it was crumbling out and also sticking to the hole of the cushion.
If anyone should need to reference the part number for the front bolts it is:
6511826AA
A23D3D1A-0579-4855-AD74-D21373B95050.jpeg
D42E2EC6-9368-4094-8CD0-5B5897BB2D6A.jpeg

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I have a 2018 JLU sport. Successfully installed the drivers side barricade rock slider. Started working on the passenger. Went slow at the passenger front bolt. 3/4 way out, pow. Sheared bolt. I couldnā€™t believe it. Ordered new bolt today as none in stock anywhere of course. Going to try to drill out the rest since itā€™s close. You might note how much red thread locker was on this particular bolt that it was crumbling out and also sticking to the hole of the cushion.
If anyone should need to reference the part number for the front bolts it is:
6511826AA
A23D3D1A-0579-4855-AD74-D21373B95050.jpeg
D42E2EC6-9368-4094-8CD0-5B5897BB2D6A.jpeg
Did you heat it prior?

Sponsored

olmectech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I used heat and still broke a bolt so that still is not the solution. The solution is take it to the dealer and have them install for $150.
Good luck getting that bolt out. It took me three trips to the dealer and a bolt removal guy that was an extra from the Mad Max movies
to finally get my passenger side installed. All said and done I was out $375 for a $150 install.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
At this point, 3rd party manufacturers that have designed their products to require the removal of these bolts should rethink their design. There is AMPLE evidence that a significant number of talented DIYā€™ers cannot get these bolts out without shearing them off. Itā€™s time to change the design, IMO.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I did not. I had seen where some had used heat and others did not. Wasnā€™t for sure that was the key. So many different methods being used out there. Now I know.
Red locktite directions say it needs heat to remove. I tried to loosen it without heat and it wouldnt budge. With the method I described in an earlier post it moved instantly, It was still a major PITA and for SURE it's worth 150 bucks to have it done somewhere trusted.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I used heat and still broke a bolt so that still is not the solution. The solution is take it to the dealer and have them install for $150.
Good luck getting that bolt out. It took me three trips to the dealer and a bolt removal guy that was an extra from the Mad Max movies
to finally get my passenger side installed. All said and done I was out $375 for a $150 install.
What was your exact method? What are they doing at the shop to get them out? .

150 bucks is worth every penny IMO.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
At this point, 3rd party manufacturers that have designed their products to require the removal of these bolts should rethink their design. There is AMPLE evidence that a significant number of talented DIYā€™ers cannot get these bolts out without shearing them off. Itā€™s time to change the design, IMO.
Not so much the design. Seems they used way too much red locktite on the front bolts. Mine didnt have that much on them but were still a PITA. IF there are those who heated them up properly still had a problem that may be the reason. But the proper amount of heat should work regardless.

A page or two back has my method and others have tried it with success. If some have failed using the same method I would hope they post up for others.

But again, the best method is pay the 150 bucks until jeep eases up on the red locktite. lol
Sponsored