Not open for further replies.

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
It will be far over priced. It was also a mall crawler back in the day. This is nostalgia trying to bite. Jeep life.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Everything I have read about IFS is it's weaker then a solid axle. It would have to be some sort of break through unicorn IFS before I would consider one.
It's relative, I bet ya full-size just 1/2t IFS is stronger than the base Dana 30 and at least comparable to the D44 in terms of ultimate torque it can withstand.

Any additional strength of an SFA is just a happy accident by-product; you want a solid axle for the forced articulation and wheel travel it affords on uneven terrain.

Again, the go-fast dez crowd being the exception

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It's relative, I bet ya full-size just 1/2t IFS is stronger than the base Dana 30 and at least comparable to the D44 in terms of ultimate torque it can withstand.

Any additional strength of an SFA is just a happy accident by-product; you want a solid axle for the forced articulation and wheel travel it affords on uneven terrain.

Again, the go-fast dez crowd being the exception
Maybe, maybe not. Remember, though, the Bronco is NOT a 1/2 ton chassis. I serously doubt it will have the beef of the 1/2 ton suspension. That said, I'm sure it will be well made and strong enough, at least in stock form. I'm not sure how the Bronco will accept lifts and larger tires, though. The front suspension will be much more expensive and complicated to lift and the fenders will need trimming, most likely. People are creative and resourceful, though, and they'll make it happen, with deep pockets.

What I like about the solid axles is that it gives Jeep a simple way to offer stronger axles as an option, as in the Rubicon. To do that with an IFS would be expensive and more risky for Ford. It certainly won't have the profit margin of the Rubicon, which is simply a bolt-on difference on the assembly line.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The mags are also reporting the new Bronco will be SFA

Not saying it's correct, clearly no one knows yet

Sponsored

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
With the customer service I've been getting from Jeep lately on my backordered parts, I'm definitely tempted to get the new bronco. At this point I wouldn't mind IFS cause my Jeep is just a daily, the old Jeep is my off road one. The deal breaker here is if the look of it is actually going to be a little retro or not. They supposedly said it will have round headlights and the bronco emblem on the grille. Also the removable top and doors is a must. Even with the 2.3l engine that possibly will be in it, it's bigger than the 2.0 in my Jeep. I'm pretty sure it has more power and torque as well...

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
If they were smart only the Rock Monster will have a solid front axle and a V8. Why? for the same reason they make a 4 door Wrangler, hauling families around town.

Then the guys that need it get it, and if it wobbles they love throwing another 2k in parts to do upgrades, and the rest can still hit trails and drive around safely.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I do think there are some advantages to IFS. There are always tradeoffs. There's no death wobble or bump shake with IFS, for example. On the other hand, alignment is more frequent and also a pain. IFS is more complicated, but offers simpler skid plating options.

I certainly don't mind variety and I think Ford will make a really nice machine, however it is configured. If you are looking for a hard core off-roader, though, (which most people are not), Ford reps said a year or so ago that it would be very good off road but would not have the extreme capabilities of the Wrangler. That could mean a variety of things, but the first that come to mind for me are the fender design (approach and departure angle limitations) and IFS. Of course, off-road does not only mean rock crawling. The Bronco would probably be better at pre-running style off roading.

I really can't wait to see this thing. Oh, and the 2.3 will most certainly have more power than all but the diesel in the JL lineup, but I don't care. I want reliability and durability. I'm keeping my JL for at least 20 years. I don't want to be stranded in the woods somewhere bragging to the trees about the 0-60 time of my vehicle. I've been places in my JK with the old mini van 3.8 that no current Ford product can go without damage. (Or maybe even with damage.)

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Hmm, wonder how long it will take the aftermarket to get caught up to the Bronco, if it even tries? At least Jeep has a long aftermarket trail. And even with that, they are slow.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The mere fact that this keeps popping up on a Jeep board is evidence of how threatened the loyalists are.

If it were truly no threat then it wouldn't be worthy of the time of day.

The more you doth protesteth the more you prove yer skeered

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
The mere fact that this keeps popping up on a Jeep board is evidence of how threatened the loyalists are.

Maybe they will launch a special OJ version:like:

images (2).jpeg

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL

I popped it up for the new rumor on a rock monster project/model bronco along with the Rapter version, and insider info again saying they are going to make a competitor Wrangler not another crossover like blazer.

You are right some are gonna freak out, which is funny. I think its great to have competition to make both products better. More friends on the trail? nothing wrong with that.

If you ask 20 different Wrangler owners how they use their wrangler you can get 20 different answers. Rock crawler, overlander, convertible beach dune buggy, family hauler, dessert runner, trail explorer, mud bogger, lives on a mountain and wanna get home in the winter guy, angry bird mall runner, adventure trailer puller, hunter, gonna get my kayak there no matter what guy. Thats alot of space to cover, and plenty of room for new friends.

Heck, I used to hate the 4 door, but yesterday I was thinking "man I bet that would be fun for camping.. what if"

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I have owned lots of Fords, including the 2019 Mustang GT with driveline buzz, sitting in the garage right now, and I just don’t agree with this statement. I have had lots of problems with my Fords, less so with our Chrysler products.
Interesting as I've owned a lot of Fords and Audi's. The Fords have been Mustangs, Explorers, Rangers, and F150's. One Probe GT way back. All were good for the 100k+ miles I owned them.

The Audi's were excellent until they started to have problems. Then 4 figure bills for repairs become common and it's time to sell quickly.

I've only owned 3 FCA products; one being the current Jeep, and the other two were dealer shop queens. I am hopefully the Jeep doesn't follow and I am happy to hear your experience is the opposite.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.