Grocerygetter

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Just got into our 19 JLU. My plan is to add smittybilt xrc (or something equivalent) front and rear bumpers with a bumper mounted tire carrier on the rear bumper. I am also wanting to gain 2-2.5 inches of lift to clear 35s. My main issue is trying to decide what lift to go with. The price point on the cool spacer lifts are tempting, but common sense tells me that much weight from bumpers would cause issues with a spacer lift and not as much with a true suspension lift. Anyone have experience with this? Or does anyone have recommendations for gaining that lift without giving up ride comfort? I don’t see myself doing any hardcore wheeling yet. First true brand new vehicle I’ve owned lol. I also want to eliminate front rake and don’t know if a spacer kit will allow that as well as suspension lift with a front spacer added. Thanks!
Sponsored

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
Rough Country and Teraflex make spacer kits that has half inch bigger front pucks to level and remove the rake.

Putting on steel bumpers isn't gonna make it sag more than a 1\4". But if you add a winch it might take it down 3/8".

You can go either way..spacers...or coils to lift it. Who knows you might even have to add a half inch spacer still with coils after putting bumpers etc etc on it.

If I knew for sure I wasnt gonna be doing any hard wheeling and just wanted that "look" but still be able to run everything but really hard stuff I would go the spacer route. Any jeep that can run 35s can do a lot more than you think even with spacers.

Ive done both ways in the past with my jeeps. In fact my 04 TJ is still on a spacer lift(and better aftermarket shocks) and I have no issues running all the FS roads around here in PA and WV. But I know my intended usage for my jeeps,and it works fine for me. You might be different.

You also might still want or need caster correction,and id for sure get a beefier adjustable front track bar to center the wheels back up with 2.5+ lift spacers as well running 35s. Which you should get anyways if you decided to use coils to lift it intsead. Might want a rear track bar bracket to raise your roll center back up too. And ya might want a new steering stabalizer too. See where this is going...lol. JEEP!!!!

Just depends on what exactly your intended use and end goal is. Answer that and youll have your answer.

OP
OP

Grocerygetter

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Rough Country and Teraflex make spacer kits that has half inch bigger front pucks to level and remove the rake.

Putting on steel bumpers isn't gonna make it sag more than a 1\4". But if you add a winch it might take it down 3/8".

You can go either way..spacers...or coils to lift it. Who knows you might even have to add a half inch spacer still with coils after putting bumpers etc etc on it.

If I knew for sure I wasnt gonna be doing any hard wheeling and just wanted that "look" but still be able to run everything but really hard stuff I would go the spacer route. Any jeep that can run 35s can do a lot more than you think even with spacers.

Ive done both ways in the past with my jeeps. In fact my 04 TJ is still on a spacer lift(and better aftermarket shocks) and I have no issues running all the FS roads around here in PA and WV. But I know my intended usage for my jeeps,and it works fine for me. You might be different.

You also might still want or need caster correction,and id for sure get a beefier adjustable front track bar to center the wheels back up with 2.5+ lift spacers as well running 35s. Which you should get anyways if you decided to use coils to lift it intsead. Might want a rear track bar bracket to raise your roll center back up too. And ya might want a new steering stabalizer too. See where this is going...lol. JEEP!!!!

Just depends on what exactly your intended use and end goal is. Answer that and youll have your answer.
Excellent info! Thanks for the reply. I don’t ever anticipate hard off road wheeling so I think I might be ok with a spacer lift and some aftermarket steering upgrades. Thanks again

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
Yuppers...btw. Do you have an auto or manual tranny? Ruby or non ruby? If you have a non ruby and manual your gonna wanna regear for 35s(2 grand$)

Also youll need either wheel spacers or aftermarket rims with less backspace n offset to clear the 35s so your not rubbing anything.

OP
OP

Grocerygetter

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Yuppers...btw. Do you have an auto or manual tranny? Ruby or non ruby? If you have a non ruby and manual your gonna wanna regear for 35s(2 grand$)

Also youll need either wheel spacers or aftermarket rims with less backspace n offset to clear the 35s so your not rubbing anything.
It’s an 8 speed auto sport model. Not gonna keep the stock wheels, so planning on aftermarket without spacers
Sponsored