Sponsored

Parts on Backorder

PWMDMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
One very consistent theme here is once a problem is actually diagnosed the part needed to fix it always seems to be on backorder. Sometimes it's a week, a few weeks, a month or the best yet we don't know. The Wrangler is no longer a new build....why are repair parts so scarce? Was FCA just really hopeful the Wrangler would have fewer problems and they didn't anticipate the need? Are they just being cheap? I've owned multiple brands and between my personal vehicles and every family or friend I have never heard of basic parts being on backorder so many times for so long of a time.
Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
If FCA doesn't carry spare items in stock, they don't have money tied up in inventory. You already have purchased your Jeep...so why warehouse spare parts? They know you will have to wait any way if there are no other suppliers.

OP
OP

PWMDMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That's absolutely amazing and just the exact opposite of what a company would do if they wanted to provide good customer service.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Modern car manufacturing is based on ā€˜just in timeā€™ deliveries for the components that go down the assembly lines isnā€™t it. Their whole ethos is built around holding zero stock of components. Why would they tie up money in spare parts that might never be sold?

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
That's absolutely amazing and just the exact opposite of what a company would do if they wanted to provide good customer service.
I actually agree with this, but itā€™s not the way major manufacturers operate any longer. Iā€™m sure they would argue that if they held large inventories of parts we would have to pay more for the vehicle initially. The consumer generally pays or the manufacturer fails.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PWMDMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I actually agree with this, but itā€™s not the way major manufacturers operate any longer. Iā€™m sure they would argue that if they held large inventories of parts we would have to pay more for the vehicle initially. The consumer generally pays or the manufacturer fails.
Sure it's how other manufactures operate! I waited one time for a part to be shipped over night for a Mazda and with Acura, Volvo, Lexus and Honda all had the parts in-stock. I've never heard of this, short of some major recall campaign where parts were scarce, of an auto manufacturer who routinely doesn't have any parts available....sometimes for weeks.

BTW....Just-in-time is a manufacturing concept and it only works if the parts actually get there in time to not shut down production....not 3 weeks later.

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
I'm currently one of the customers affected by this parts scarcity :mad: I can assure you I'm wondering the same thing and it truly sucks for me being without my vehicle for just under a month now and no word on when this backordered part will even be made let alone shipped

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It is either a piss poor customer service decision or indicative of how many of these vehicle are actually having problems.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Sure it's how other manufactures operate! I waited one time for a part to be shipped over night for a Mazda and with Acura, Volvo, Lexus and Honda all had the parts in-stock. I've never heard of this, short of some major recall campaign where parts were scarce, of an auto manufacturer who routinely doesn't have any parts available....sometimes for weeks.

BTW....Just-in-time is a manufacturing concept and it only works if the parts actually get there in time to not shut down production....not 3 weeks later.
Well, given that all car makers are struggling to make a profit in the current market, theyā€™ve already cut their workforces and merged with each other to reduce costs/share platforms. How likely is it that they are going invest in spare parts? Itā€™s not complicated.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/fca-q1-profit-falls-29-weaker-sales-revenue

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
It is either a piss poor customer service decision or indicative of how many of these vehicle are actually having problems.
I've been hearing there's a few known issues with my part at least, but FCA is not telling anyone about it just yet. I just want my damn Jeep back. I paid to drive a wrangler, I'm now stuck in a compass till I'm told otherwise

Sponsored

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
Well, given that all car makers are struggling to make a profit in the current market, theyā€™ve already cut their workforces and merged with each other to reduce costs/share platforms. How likely is it that they are going invest in spare parts? Itā€™s not complicated.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/fca-q1-profit-falls-29-weaker-sales-revenue
I don't disagree with you. On the other hand I don't understand how it could take over a month to make a part which has been on backorder for even longer. I'm stuck in limbo waiting for an update. I never thought buying a new vehicle would turn into such an ordeal:facepalm:

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired

Well given that all car makers are str
I don't disagree with you. On the other hand I don't understand how it could take over a month to make a part which has been on backorder for even longer. I'm stuck in limbo waiting for an update. I never thought buying a new vehicle would turn into such an ordeal:facepalm:
Yes, I agree itā€™s too long, I guess Jeep are relying on their suppliers to perform. Iā€™m in the UK and havenā€™t yet been in a back order situation yet...... I imagine we might wait a lot longer than you guys.

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
Well given that all car makers are str

Yes, I agree itā€™s too long, I guess Jeep are relying on their suppliers to perform. Iā€™m in the UK and havenā€™t yet been in a back order situation yet...... I imagine we might wait a lot longer than you guys.
Hopefully for your sake you won't have to be in that situation. I could see that turning into worse than mine is

OP
OP

PWMDMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

It's pennywise, pound foolish. As a business owner who has to stock a certain amount of materials/product in order to provide timely service and good customer service I can say it's NOT wasted money...it's simply an expense that takes some time to recover. I'm not saying they have to stock a year's worth of parts.....just enough to cover current demand. If this is financially difficult for FCA then they have BIG problems. Eventually, this practice will hit their bottom-line hard when it starts driving sales down due to piss-poor customer service. How much $ is spent on keeping owners in loaner cars while their cars spend one month at the dealership waiting for a part? In the end, somehow, someway, every other manufacture is able to deal with supplying sufficient parts for repairs.

The only real hope for RAM/Jeep is to get them away from FCA which of course won't happen because they are the only two brands performing well for FCA. Eventually though, FCA's ineptitude will tarnish these brands too.