Sponsored

Sway bar links after 2.5" budget boost

ksmit88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, I found the damn squeak! From everything I can tell, the rear link is mounted correctly and the bushing is fine just a bad pic.

The squeak is from the fender washer with the welded but on it which goes on top of the rear spacer. It was slightly loose. I tightened it and sprayed a little lithium grease for good measure. No more squeak. Thank you guys for all of the help it was just super annoying to have a new JL that sounded worse than my old TJ.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I was under the JL taking a look and noticed this. I'm assuming this will prematurely wear the bushings. Is this a big issue or anything that will correct it? It's the same on driver and passenger.

Pic is standing in front of the vehicle looking at the front drivers side.

20180423_125309.jpg
That's odd. On mine, the bend at the top went the opposite way, which takes all the crookedness out of the bushings. It's almost like they made your wrong.

My aftermarket links I got from Rough Country also have the bend going the opposite of yours.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
That's odd. On mine, the bend at the top went the opposite way, which takes all the crookedness out of the bushings. It's almost like they made your wrong.

My aftermarket links I got from Rough Country also have the bend going the opposite of yours.
Those are the factory links he reused if I remember.

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I was under the JL taking a look and noticed this. I'm assuming this will prematurely wear the bushings. Is this a big issue or anything that will correct it? It's the same on driver and passenger.

Pic is standing in front of the vehicle looking at the front drivers side.

20180423_125309.jpg
I would try those links upside down. The bends should go the opposite direction...

I will make this statement, longer links are not needed at all until you put on longer shocks.

OP
OP
1quick1

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase

Interesting. These are the factor rear links. You wouldn't happen to have a pic would you? I wonder if they just installed them backwards.

Those are the factory links he reused if I remember.
Correct, these are the factory rear links.

I would try those links upside down. The bends should go the opposite direction...

I will make this statement, longer links are not needed at all until you put on longer shocks.
I can try switching them around and see how they look.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. These are the factor rear links. You wouldn't happen to have a pic would you? I wonder if they just installed them backwards.

Correct, these are the factory rear links.

I can try switching them around and see how they look.
I used washers to get them mostly straight. You may have a hard time getting the stud end through the axle mount on the passenger side if you flip them

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I used washers to get them mostly straight. You may have a hard time getting the stud end through the axle mount on the passenger side if you flip them
This is the only concern... If the stud size will not fit through the hole on the axle mount. Otherwise you can washer it up and wait for an aftermarket solution that is better.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The top pic is my factory link, the bottom pic is my Rough Country link. Notice how in both cases, the bend at the top is inward which allows everything to line up perfectly. Not crooked. No washers. Not sure what's up with yours. But I can see why you have issues.

20180525_084411[1].jpg

20180525_084300[1].jpg

Cornfed

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sport (totaled). 2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Electrician Ibew
You can put some thick washers to make it more even(I put one at the top and two at the bottom so the locknut still grabs.) Most kits come with links, but skyjacker sent me the wrong links with my 3.5-4" kit so I improvised. I actually like the stock link design better than most of the aftermarket offerings.

20180411_202928_resized.jpg
What size are those bolts/ washers I’m gonna be putting this kit on soon and you definitely know your shit infinitely better than me so any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
What size are those bolts/ washers I’m gonna be putting this kit on soon and you definitely know your shit infinitely better than me so any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,

I just used the factory bolts and put enough washers so that the bolt still sat flush with the lock nut when fully tightened. The bolt is 12mm I believe, but the washers I had laying around the shop were probably 1/2".

Sponsored

Cornfed

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sport (totaled). 2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Electrician Ibew
Thanks man, I really appreciate all the help you give everyone in this forum you seem to really go above and beyond to help educate people.

Jruedastinger

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl
So what ever happened with this, did the washers work or did you buy aftermarket ones to have it straightened out.

danwil

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's an old thread, but I need to ask:
aren't they the rear links used in the front? To me it seems like the bend (offset) is other way around.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
those pictures show severe bow in the springs that will cause premature wear. Change the spring perch to rock krawler and make sure your body is centered.
Mopar springs are supposed to bow

springs_zpsmvvbsw2p.jpg
springs_zpsmvvbsw2p.jpg

Reactions: J0E

bgsujeeper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Altitude Sport
Thanks,

I just used the factory bolts and put enough washers so that the bolt still sat flush with the lock nut when fully tightened. The bolt is 12mm I believe, but the washers I had laying around the shop were probably 1/2".
I just installed the 2.5” spacer lift and the rear sway bar link top bolts (the 12mmx65mm ones) did not fit through the sway bar link holes. I’ve seen that RC has sent the wrong bolt to others. It seems like it should be an 11mm bolt, not a 12mm bolt.

I improvised but would like to hear thoughts on this?
Sponsored