Sponsored

Poll on Sunrider JL Wind Noise

Does the Sunrider for JL cause more wind noise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Last year I took a trip on the highway with my wife and Sunrider installed. It was too noisy for conversation: even with it closed.

Since then I purchased a moving blanket and grommet kit and cut the blanket to fit under the Sunrider, and put grommets in it that get attached over the latches and Sports bar.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-grommet-installation-kit-104-pc-63237.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/40-inch-x-72-inch-movers-blanket-47262.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-ball-stretch-cord-set-47302.html

It's now quiet enough for talk--not quiet, just a state of significantly reduced noise.

When I open the Sunrider, the blanket, attached to the latches, moves with it.
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Sunrider for hardtop is the best investment we've made on the Jeep. Noise does become intrusive at higher speeds (over 70 when closed and over 60 when open) but nothing beats the convenience. Just remember to close it BEFORE you plow into any mud-puddles (don't ask me how I know). :facepalm:

IMG_1391.JPG

Lmike6453

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude (Black)
Hello guys
Just purchased one and wanting to know did you all buy the bestop protectant for black twill fabric??
I did. Wasn't too much money for a protectent if I can use it many times with spray bottle.

Lmike6453

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude (Black)
Last year I took a trip on the highway with my wife and Sunrider installed. It was too noisy for conversation: even with it closed.

Since then I purchased a moving blanket and grommet kit and cut the blanket to fit under the Sunrider, and put grommets in it that get attached over the latches and Sports bar.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-grommet-installation-kit-104-pc-63237.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/40-inch-x-72-inch-movers-blanket-47262.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-ball-stretch-cord-set-47302.html

It's now quiet enough for talk--not quiet, just a state of significantly reduced noise.

When I open the Sunrider, the blanket, attached to the latches, moves with it.
Can you show pics of it installed? Might be worth posting in the DIY forum to help and show others.

Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Hello guys
Just purchased one and wanting to know did you all buy the bestop protectant for black twill fabric??
I purchased 2 bottles of the Bestop Twill Protectant. Have been using it since January. A little bit goes a long way.

Apply outdoors or in a well ventilated area.

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have one on my 2019 JLUR and it started flapping really bad after 2 months. Bestop sent a replacement (thank you!) which solved it to an extent, however its still way noisier and somewhat flapping (the rear side) - more than what I had after the original install. The original install was mostly similar to hard top noise level.

I do have a bug deflector (https://www.cjponyparts.com/avs-hoo...eW3zyl6-iF0CD6fTcjdMAT870wXQky-xoC8-AQAvD_BwE) and the short platform maximus-3 roof rack and a 40 inch led bar installed on top of roof rack. I suspect all those things together create an airflow that hits the sunrider hard that causes the flapping. There is no wind noise with all these things installed with the hardtop panels, so its the combination with the sunrider.

I do like the convenience but hate the annoying noise - so am stuck between the two.

All in, I would recommend it, but am hoping I can solve the annoying flapping noise.

UKJeep2018

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara
Wind/Road noise is noticeable but I tend to turn my music all the way up so I don’t notice it. When driving at 70MPH i can hold a conversation without the noise interfering badly.

Soft top is worth it to me though. The ease of use compared to panels makes the wind noise a good compromise.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
prior to buying my JLUR I test drove hard tops and soft tops and found the soft top quieter on the hiway. Not by a lot but I was surprised. Wonder why the Sunrider is a bit noiser? No matter to me if a tad more noisy, I will have one some day.

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE High Altitude
Occupation
Military
I voted "no" because the extra noise is almost unnoticeable. I have since a couple of weeks after install a very annoying "squeak" or rattle on the passenger side. Sounds like a Styrofoam squeak, there is some Styrofoam in the Bestop Sunrider but does not "seem" to come from that exact area, still trying to locate? HT panels will be hanging in their bag in the garage til next winter. Probably could leave it on, but really don't wanna be cleaning snow/ice of the Twill.

Other than that we love it and hope the rainy weather here in the N.E. changes from monsoon weather to some nice warmer sunshine. We can then use it's great advantage more often and I can commute more on my MC, that's even more open!! lol

Go Jeep!!!
Mine is doing the same thing!! Have you figured it out ??

Sponsored

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
I have the twill version installed in my gladiator coming from the insulated freedom panels and I find it slightly lighter on freeway speeds but in town there is no notice difference. Drive at 75+mph open and it’s awesome. Music set to 20 or 25 and no noise just awesome breeze :). I do open the sliding rear glass tho so that may help at freeway speeds

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
I finally figured out my rattle noise. The twill top would smack against the metal rail whenever I would shut my doors. Put a little window sealer foam and viola noise is gone :)

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Mine is doing the same thing!! Have you figured it out ??
I have tried everything even re-install, no luck??

See your cure in your last post, sounds good will see what I can do?

Go Jeep!!!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I get a super annoying rattle when just the rear windows are down for the dogs as the twill flaps on something at the center rear of the SunRider
Sponsored