Sponsored

Broke the lockers on test drive.

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
BFA0E2C2-26EE-4D9B-A88F-66C9731BFA7E.jpeg
Yesterday I stopped at Rydell Jeep (San Fernando CA) to test drive a Rubicon. Mainly because I got worried from reading how cramped the cabin is for people over 6’2”.

Anyway, I pulled over to test the lockers. Put the Rubi in 4L and pressed the locker switch. Nada. Then the ‘SERVICE LOCKERS SOON’ notice flashed in the center screen while the amber 4WD light remained flashing even in 2H.

There was 20 miles on the Jeep.

The salesman assured me that NOTHING was really wrong and the Rubi just needed a re-flash.

PS I included a picture to show the diff in height between the Sport and Rubi.

EDIT TO ORIGINAL POST: I was testing to see how long it took to engage. My Rubicon was usually instant while my PowerWagon took it's own sweet time. I’m not a rookie. That said, you shouldn’t feel the need to defend a faulty JL and I have no idea how the 19 miles before me were driven.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
BFA0E2C2-26EE-4D9B-A88F-66C9731BFA7E.jpeg
Yesterday I stopped at Rydell Jeep (San Fernando CA) to test drive a Rubicon. Mainly because I got worried from reading how cramped the cabin is for people over 6’2”.

Anyway, I pulled over to test the lockers. Put the Rubi in 4L and pressed the locker switch. Nada. Then the ‘SERVICE LOCKERS SOON’ notice flashed in the center screen while the amber 4WD light remained flashing even in 2H.

There was 20 miles on the Jeep.

The salesman assured me that NOTHING was really wrong and the Rubi just needed a re-flash.

PS I included a picture to show the diff in height between the Sport and Rubi.
Unless you found some dirt I'm glad I'm not buying off the lot. Lockers on the street?!?

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
Unless you found some dirt I'm glad I'm not buying off the lot. Lockers on the street?!?
You can engage lockers on the street to test, it makes no difference as long as you keep vehicle in a straight line and avoid “hop”

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Wow. If I was gonna buy an off-the-lot Rubicon I'd test the lockers too. Would suck if the first time you found that out was after getting on a trail and being excited to wheel.

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. If I was gonna buy an off-the-lot Rubicon I'd test the lockers too. Would suck if the first time you found that out was after getting on a trail and being excited to wheel.
I agree however how many folks understand what binding is? Glad to see OP got to dirt before engaging. I can tell by profile pic he's not afraid to let that truck stretch a bit.

I'm in SOCal too so will hit the desert within weeks of taking delivery and MOAB in April. Need to ensure it's all dialed in before then :). Can't wait.

Sponsored

malogos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2018 BRZ tS
FWIW, the front locker on my new JK (from years ago) didn't work within the first 1k files. Dealership fixed it, though.

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
so am I going to be able to do sick burn outs on the street with the rear locker or what?

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
You can engage lockers on the street to test, it makes no difference as long as you keep vehicle in a straight line and avoid “hop”
You can on yours... I won't be doing that.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Don't you sometimes have to move forward just a bit for the lockers to actually engage?
Sponsored