Dirt Burglar - #secretjeep build

Dirt Burglar

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport S, 2-Door, MT
My brother Brandon said he thought it was funny that I originally wanted a somewhat stock Wrangler but now would follow my build if it was on a forum. So, I thought I would share it with you for those that might be interested.

I ordered a Sport S in May 2019; 2-door/manual/hardtop. I couldn't even test drive a manual because no one had one at the time and majority of the inventory is JLUs. I thought it was crazy that what a Jeep purist would consider a Wrangler is almost dead. Anyways, I got what I wanted.

Build idea:
Low center of gravity. Fast in the dirt.
I really like the idea of OEM+ style builds. I want to keep my Jeep as stock looking as possible but make it perform very well off-road. The only thing a layman might notice are the 33 inch tall tires versus the stock 31.5, maybe. Brandon has a ton of experience building off-road rigs and he has been guiding me along the way. As per his advice and my understanding, I finally ordered almost everything I need. The thought process was to re-gear a little more than necessary for the 33s, LSD up front (opted for the rear LSD), valved shocks tuned specifically for my vehicle weight, and a round horsepower number of 300 with an intake/exhaust/tune (hopefully a little more).

Parts:
JKS Quicker Disconnects (Installed)
4.56 Yukon Gears
Dana 30 Detroit TrueTrac LSD
2.0 Fox Performance Shocks w/ AccuTune Valving
DuroSpring Bump Stops
AFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake
DynoMax Muffler Delete
Edge Pulsar Tuner
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 285/70r17

Parts I didn't think I needed:
Larger coil springs up front to accommodate 5 inches of up travel for the tuned shocks as per AccuTune Off-Road. I'm going with OEM JL Rubicon springs all around. I have to order those from my parts department unless I can find some take-offs from a 2-door Rubicon soft top (for the lightest rated springs to reduce lift).

Parts I have yet to order:
Tires because they take up a lot of room. My brother is not coming until earliest November to help me do all this.
Shocks aren't available from Fox yet so AccuTune can't purchase them. Plenty of time.

This thing is gonna rip. I haven't even taken it off-road stock yet. That's tomorrow though. Potato picture is from dealership when my order arrived. Shouldn't look too much different from that later actually. By the way, I'm keeping the stock wheels. I have learned to really like them and also they only weigh 21 pounds which is incredible.

Regards,
Justin
Dirt Burglar
#secretjeep

20190509_172544.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
My brother Brandon said he thought it was funny that I originally wanted a somewhat stock Wrangler but now would follow my build if it was on a forum. So, I thought I would share it with you for those that might be interested.

I ordered a Sport S in May 2019; 2-door/manual/hardtop. I couldn't even test drive a manual because no one had one at the time and majority of the inventory is JLUs. I thought it was crazy that what a Jeep purist would consider a Wrangler is almost dead. Anyways, I got what I wanted.

Build idea:
I really like the idea of OEM+ style builds. I want to keep my Jeep as stock looking as possible but make it perform very well off-road. The only thing a layman might notice are the 33 inch tall tires versus the stock 31.5, maybe. Brandon has a ton of experience building off-road rigs and he has been guiding me along the way. As per his advice and my understanding, I finally ordered almost everything I need. The thought process was to re-gear a little more than necessary for the 33s, LSD up front (opted for the rear LSD), valved shocks tuned specifically for my vehicle weight (sprung and unsprung), and a round horsepower number of 300 with an intake/exhaust/tune (hopefully a little more).

Parts:
4.56 Yukon Gears
DynoMax Muffler Delete
Edge Pulsar Tuner

Larger coil springs up front to accommodate 5 inches of up travel for the tuned shocks as per AccuTune Off-Road. I'm going with OEM JL Rubicon springs all around. I have to order those from my parts department unless I can find some take-offs from a 2-door Rubicon soft top (for the lightest rated springs to reduce lift).

TIres because they take up a lot of room. My brother is not coming until earliest November to help me do all this.
Shocks aren't available from Fox yet so AccuTune can't purchase them. Plenty of time.

This thing is gonna rip. I haven't even taken it off-road stock yet. That's tomorrow though. Potato picture is from dealership when my order arrived. Shouldn't look too much different from that later actually. By the way, I'm keeping the stock wheels. I have learned to really like them and also they only weigh 21 pounds which is incredible.

Regards,
Justin
Dirt Burglar
#secretjeep

20190509_172544.jpg
The detroit lsd fit in the front? Good to know

OP
OP
Dirt Burglar

Dirt Burglar

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport S, 2-Door, MT
The detroit lsd fit in the front? Good to know
So they won't say that BUT other carriers designed for the JK Dana 30 fit the JL Dana 30. Specifically, a guy installed an ARB RD100 front locker suited for a JK, no problem.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Wonder if that means a jk elocker would fit too

WandererJL

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I can tell you from experience that the old d30 differentials fit the m186. Dana even calls it a d30. I have the ARB RD100 installed in mine and everything went in no problem. Cant say for sure that the pinion is exactly the same but I think it is.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dirt Burglar

Dirt Burglar

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport S, 2-Door, MT
I ordered the Rubicon springs yesterday. I have seen people buy take-offs and install them on their Sports with varying results in lift. There are several configurations for varying trims, doors, and options like steel bumpers. I wanted the lightest rated springs to minimize lift so I searched online for a new Rubicon, 2 door, soft top, no steel bumpers. Took the VIN and called my parts department to get part numbers for the 4 different springs and ordered them online for about $60 each (dealer wanted $90-$95). I suggest doing it this way if you go down that road because there are 9 different front springs for the Rubicon and 15 different rears.

Next step is to wait for all these parts to show up, pile them up in a corner, and look at them everyday until Brandon gets here to help me install everything.

mchewd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Wrangler Sport Unlimited

Parts:

20190509_172544.jpg
Hi Justin,
Thanks for the post. You are motivating me to post my own build. Question on the JKS Quicker Disconnects. How did the vertical cut off the sway bar tab go for you? I am a little hesitant cutting into my new Jeep.

Thanks,
Mike

OP
OP
Dirt Burglar

Dirt Burglar

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport S, 2-Door, MT
How did the vertical cut off the sway bar tab go for you? I am a little hesitant cutting into my new Jeep.

Thanks,
Mike
Haha. F***. That part got me. I am new to wrenching and didn't have anything to cut it with. I went to Home Depot and bought a sawzall and cut that bitch off no problem. First time using one. Right before I started to cut I realized I was fully committing to this project. Go for it. Save the tab as a souvenir.

OP
OP
Dirt Burglar

Dirt Burglar

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport S, 2-Door, MT
Also, if you are installing JKS disconnects on stock suspension like I did, you're going to have to extend them about 8 full rotations. They will definitely be longer than the stock end links at that point but its the only way I could get them to disconnect and reconnect in a repeatable/usable manner with the tires back on.

Last edited:

mchewd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Also, if you are installing JKS disconnects on stock suspension like I did, you're going to have to extend them about 8 full rotations. They will definitely be longer than the stock end links at that point but its the only way I could get them to connect and reconnect in a repeatable/usable manner with the tires back on.
Thanks for the tips and the hacker sprit. I lifted my JL with 2 in Mopar lift and 35" tires. I got the 21/2-6" lift quicker disconnects. Looking to take the leap this weekend or next. I will let you know how it goes!

Sponsored

WES IV

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr with hardtop. Firecracker Red.
Occupation
Going over the hills and far away

Build idea:
I really like the idea of OEM+ style builds. I want to keep my Jeep as stock looking as possible but make it perform very well off-road. The only thing a layman might notice are the 33 inch tall tires versus the stock 31.5, maybe. Brandon has a ton of experience building off-road rigs and he has been guiding me along the way. As per his advice and my understanding, I finally ordered almost everything I need. The thought process was to re-gear a little more than necessary for the 33s, LSD up front (opted for the rear LSD), valved shocks tuned specifically for my vehicle weight, and a round horsepower number of 300 with an intake/exhaust/tune (hopefully a little more).

Parts:
4.56 Yukon Gears
DuroSpring Bump Stops
DynoMax Muffler Delete
Edge Pulsar Tuner

Tires because they take up a lot of room. My brother is not coming until earliest November to help me do all this.

Regards,
Justin
Dirt Burglar
#secretjeep

20190509_172544.jpg
Very cool!
I'm waiting for my 2 dr Wrangler Sport S to arrive (very soon). It seems like most people have Unlimited or Rubicon models on this site. I look forward to reading about your adventures.

OP
OP
Dirt Burglar

Dirt Burglar

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport S, 2-Door, MT
Alright. I finally ordered the Fox shocks from AccuTune Off-Road. I went with "Jeep Valving" which is middle of the road tuning. No whoops but they will be good over bigger bumps and plenty fast on fire roads (a term I recently learned). Once they get them from Fox (weren't quite ready for the JL) they will valve them for me and ship.

So that just leaves tires. I was really liking the idea of the Duratracs but there are so many great tires out there. I'm gonna re-look at all my options again. Initially I liked the lightweight and suppleness of the Duratracs but this re-gear will be able to handle plenty so I'll just commit to something when the time comes. And I'm kind of burnt out on doing "homework" at this point to be honest.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Alright. I finally ordered the Fox shocks from AccuTune Off-Road. I went with "Jeep Valving" which is middle of the road tuning. No whoops but they will be good over bigger bumps and plenty fast on fire roads (a term I recently learned). Once they get them from Fox (weren't quite ready for the JL) they will valve them for me and ship.

So that just leaves tires. I was really liking the idea of the Duratracs but there are so many great tires out there. I'm gonna re-look at all my options again. Initially I liked the lightweight and suppleness of the Duratracs but this re-gear will be able to handle plenty so I'll just commit to something when the time comes. And I'm kind of burnt out on doing "homework" at this point to be honest.
You order the 2.5 factory fox? Ive been waiting for my fronts for about a month haha. Sucks waiting