Sponsored

For those wondering about 38s and 4.10 gears. Video inside.

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
I get asked the question a LOT about how my Jeep runs with 38s and 4.10s. I decided to shoot a video the other day while I was driving up to the campsite. So far I am very happy and surprised. I know how to setup gears and have re-geared in the past so that is not holding me back. I hope this helps answer some questions.

-Eli
Sponsored

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I get asked the question a LOT about how my Jeep runs with 38s and 4.10s. I decided to shoot a video the other day while I was driving up to the campsite. So far I am very happy and surprised. I know how to setup gears and have re-geared in the past so that is not holding me back. I hope this helps answer some questions.

-Eli
2.0 or 3.6?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

-Eli
Awesome dude thanks for the info.

g00nda

First Name
g00nda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Awesome dude thanks for the info.
Hi Eli,

How did you manage to get all the settings to display on the top right of your odometer screen?

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Did you ever drive faster than that and still manage to cruise in 8th? I have 35” with 4:10 and it is usually in 7th at 70 or 75 mph.
Minus does the same. I have to cruise at 65 or 85 to hit 8th. I’ve found those to be the sweet spot on my JL.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Minus does the same. I have to cruise at 65 or 85 to hit 8th. I’ve found those to be the sweet spot on my JL.
Exactly. Mine will cruise in 8th on the highway sometimes with careful throttle manipulation. But not typically. On 35s. I can’t imagine that being on 38s will use 8th as the normal overdrive highway cruising gear except in a situation like the OP displayed, cruising steadily within a small speed window absent any terrain variation.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Looks like OP is Michigan?

Try that starting from my house at 6800' in Colorado and only going up from there. Normally aspirated + atmospheric pressure is real.

Glad it's working for OP. I've got the same setup and only see 7th or 8th downhill off the skinny pedal.

J. Creeper

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon

-Eli
How’s it holding up now? Did you decide to regear and change axles?

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Hi Eli,

How did you manage to get all the settings to display on the top right of your odometer screen?
EDIT - oops I just realized I replied to a two year old message. 😜

He has the top right set to show "range to empty".

Below that is the cruise control on display, which is always there when cruise control is turned on.

Below that is the ESS Deactivated/Error light.

You can configure these by scrolling through the EVIC display options using up/down arrows on the left side of the wheel, until you get to the "Screen Setup" option. You can only access it when the Jeep is stopped, not moving. From page 124 of the 2022 manual:

Jeep Wrangler JL For those wondering about 38s and 4.10 gears.  Video inside. 1674615019950

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate

-Eli
How is it wheeling in 4 lo? Me: 2.0T, AT, 37's - but beadlocks + Nitto 38x13.5R17 going on soon with stock gears. Wheels great with 37's, I'm sure 38's will be better.

The 8 speed auto is amazing.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
How is it wheeling in 4 lo? Me: 2.0T, AT, 37's - but beadlocks + Nitto 38x13.5R17 going on soon with stock gears. Wheels great with 37's, I'm sure 38's will be better.

The 8 speed auto is amazing.
I've personally found the 2.0/8-speed to be an overall great combo. The low and mid range torque of this relatively lightweight engine makes the Jeep feel lighter than it really is. My JLUR is sitting 5.5" above stock height in the front and 6" in the rear, with 40x13.5's. Still rocking the stock 4.10's.

A few months back, I was at Windrock Park in Tennessee. I hit a couple of trails that included 7 and 8 rated obstacles and it walked right over everything with ease, and I was purposely aiming for the harder lines. Even though it had just rained hard the day before, I didn't need to bump it at all.

The biggest thing that makes me hesitant to swap to shorter gears, other than putting more money into these axles than I already have, is ending up with too little of gear mesh due to the smaller diameter pinion gear. I'll wait till I upgrade to a set of 60's, which will have larger ring gears to better support 5.13's or 5.38's.

4" lift and 38x13.5's...
Jeep Wrangler JL For those wondering about 38s and 4.10 gears.  Video inside. 20211013_132632

5.5"/6" lift and 40x13.5's...
Jeep Wrangler JL For those wondering about 38s and 4.10 gears.  Video inside. 20220806_091606

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I've personally found the 2.0/8-speed to be an overall great combo. The low and mid range torque of this relatively lightweight engine makes the Jeep feel lighter than it really is. My JLUR is sitting 5.5" above stock height in the front and 6" in the rear, with 40x13.5's. Still rocking the stock 4.10's.

A few months back, I was at Windrock Park in Tennessee. I hit a couple of trails that included 7 and 8 rated obstacles and it walked right over everything with ease, and I was purposely aiming for the harder lines. Even though it had just rained hard the day before, I didn't need to bump it at all.

The biggest thing that makes me hesitant to swap to shorter gears, other than putting more money into these axles than I already have, is ending up with too little of gear mesh due to the smaller diameter pinion gear. I'll wait till I upgrade to a set of 60's, which will have larger ring gears to better support 5.13's or 5.38's.

4" lift and 38x13.5's...
20211013_132632.jpg

5.5"/6" lift and 40x13.5's...
20220806_091606.jpg
Have you upgraded your axle shafts? I put DANA SPICER DANA 44 ADVANTEK REAR CHROMOLY AXLE SHAFT M220 in a couple weeks ago. Apparently one of the seals got damaged in shipping that went unnoticed. Sat for a week in my garage with no leaks. During a recovery operation I was pitched 20% and when I completed the recovery, a couple table spoons of oil was all over my wheel. northridge4x4 is shipping me a new seal & bearing for that axle.

Exactly my thinking and doesn't need trussing.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Have you upgraded your axle shafts? I put DANA SPICER DANA 44 ADVANTEK REAR CHROMOLY AXLE SHAFT M220 in a couple weeks ago. Apparently one of the seals got damaged in shipping that went unnoticed. Sat for a week in my garage with no leaks. During a recovery operation I was pitched 20% and when I completed the recovery, a couple table spoons of oil was all over my wheel. northridge4x4 is shipping me a new seal & bearing for that axle.

Exactly my thinking and doesn't need trussing.
RCV 2-piece axle shafts, Reid Racing knuckles, Dynatrac HD ball joints, and RockJock upper control arm bushings for the front axle. Still waiting on RCV 300M rear axle shafts.

No plans on trussing these axles. I'm not interested in the type of offroading that requires momentum, like rock hopping, mudding, or desert bombing. Damage always comes quicker and more frequent when momentum is involved. I prefer crawling, and if I can't walk an obstacle, I'll first try adjusting my line before having to bump it.
Sponsored