Sponsored

Ocean Blue: black or body-colored top & fenders?

For Ocean Blue JLUR specifically, which do you prefer:

• Total voters
OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
Really interesting, and thanks for all the awesome pics. I guess I'm now leaning towards painted fenders and black top after seeing these pics. It's definitely the favorite in the poll too, though both "black top, black fenders" and "painted top, painted fenders" both do pretty well as well (tied as of today in fact). The only combination not proving very popular at all is painted top with black fenders.

Hope to keep getting more responses, votes, and pics. It's super helpful.

If I go with a Moab, however, I guess I have no choice. I believe that configuration always comes with painted top and painted fenders. But if I go Rubicon of course, I can pick what I like.

While it would belong in many other threads here, I'm still debating Moab (with KO2 in place of stock KM2) vs Rubicon. I do want to offroad, but probably will never do major rock crawling, so Moab underpinnings will probably be fine for me, and I do like the fulltime 4wd transfer case on the Moab. But of course, I've always loved the look and brand "luster" of a Rubicon and might someday wish I had sway bar disconnects and lockers. So tough to decide...
Sponsored

OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a painted top and black fenders. I was hesitant when I found one in transit but I am a fan. Most people change out fenders anyways at some point in a Jeeps life so wasn't a deal breaker for me.

IMG_1098.jpeg
despite that combo being the one that gets the fewest votes, I have to say that your rig looks amazing. Sometimes I love the painted top, and instead going with black fenders to break up all the blue. Damn, you guys make this tough!

slimfl08

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
despite that combo being the one that gets the fewest votes, I have to say that your rig looks amazing. Sometimes I love the painted top, and instead going with black fenders to break up all the blue. Damn, you guys make this tough!
After a couple trips out I am glad I didn't get painted. The K02 love tossing rocks back. If you do go painted definitely do some 3M film.

DiabloBlanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I personally will be going with Ocean Blue as well, and I was planning on painted fenders and a black hard top if I am able to get the Rubicon. I feel like the black top keeps the "Jeep look" more than a painted top, but that's just my opinion. Whatever you end up with will definitely look awesome.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
At first I thought black top black fenders. Prefer black top and if you want to sell/trade later it will be easier. Changed my mind on fenders, I think colored fenders won't fade and scuff like black plastic. Paint should protect the fenders better.
I went with black top and painted fenders on my Hellayella Rubicon and I think I would do the same with Ocean Blue. My reasoning was that since I ordered the dual tops I would have consistency between either the hard top or soft top.

I like the painted fenders on Ocean Blue, Mojito, and Hellayella. Firecracker Red and Punk'n look better with black top and black fenders personally.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Really interesting, and thanks for all the awesome pics. I guess I'm now leaning towards painted fenders and black top after seeing these pics. It's definitely the favorite in the poll too, though both "black top, black fenders" and "painted top, painted fenders" both do pretty well as well (tied as of today in fact). The only combination not proving very popular at all is painted top with black fenders.

Hope to keep getting more responses, votes, and pics. It's super helpful.

If I go with a Moab, however, I guess I have no choice. I believe that configuration always comes with painted top and painted fenders. But if I go Rubicon of course, I can pick what I like.

While it would belong in many other threads here, I'm still debating Moab (with KO2 in place of stock KM2) vs Rubicon. I do want to offroad, but probably will never do major rock crawling, so Moab underpinnings will probably be fine for me, and I do like the fulltime 4wd transfer case on the Moab. But of course, I've always loved the look and brand "luster" of a Rubicon and might someday wish I had sway bar disconnects and lockers. So tough to decide...
One other aspect of the painted fenders is that they have the black edging which does break up the all color aspect of the fenders along with the front led and the black thin plastic edge.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
One other aspect of the painted fenders is that they have the black edging which does break up the all color aspect of the fenders along with the front led and the black thin plastic edge.
THIS! Yes, this is another thing Jeep improved over the JK. Instead of an unbroken sea of body-colored plastic (unbroken except for a small circular blinker light that appears to have been placed on the fender completely at random), the JL has this nice touch.

2EB0EFD9-DEC1-4803-A96B-6D520F9083FC.png

I went with painted fenders and black (soft) top. I made fun of the JK when it came out for having massive black plastic bumpers so I couldn’t see myself buying black fenders on the JL, even though of course they look far better than the JK’s.

C2329763-7593-45D8-B0CD-B7ED78D7646C.jpeg

Notice the similarities to the TJ. Similar proportions of painted fender to black plastic. Turn indicators placed with purpose, not just randomly floating on the side of the fender. God, the JK was ugly.

Last edited:

AuburnRubicon

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theandypalys.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Professional User of Common Sense
I had the black plastic fenders. Before any off-roading, 3 were scratched, and one of those was pretty bad. I got mine coated with LineX Premium and love them!

464D1784-5C38-41D5-9464-60519DA7D5E8.jpeg

OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
excellent point - I think this is a big improvement in looks over the JK, for the reasons you stated,

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
one other consideration is the dual top group.

Since i got the dual top group, i wanted the jeep to have the same basic color scheme no matter which top i was using.

Also, since i plan to use the soft top half of the year, i did not want to have to worry about scratching the paint on a hard top every time i swap tops. While i am not careless with it, i am not as worried about scratches if something happens.

Finally, i have had rocks thrown on the roof of almost every truck i have ever known.

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
I did painted hard top with painted fenders but also did the dual too group so it's a black soft top during warmer months.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I had the black plastic fenders. Before any off-roading, 3 were scratched, and one of those was pretty bad. I got mine coated with LineX Premium and love them!

464D1784-5C38-41D5-9464-60519DA7D5E8.jpeg
So awesome! Did you take the fenders off and take them in? What did they charge you?

snowtx1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Where did you get those blue half doors?
Sponsored