First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I can understand that, but somewhere along the line maybe 10 years ago or so I noticed that local gas stations, and the regular run of stores like Pep Boys, Advanced Auto Parts, O'Rileys, and what not also started to take oil without having to pay them to drop it off. I store my used oil in a 5 gallon Jerry can I picked up on Amazon years ago, and just take it to a local store when full. They just have you go to the back with your container, and empty into one of their storage tanks. Anyhow has migrated to a no fuss, no muss type of deal these days.
Thanks for the tip. We have Advanced Auto's all around where I live so I may just start changing my oil again and do what you said to store it in a 5 gallon Jerry can. Thanks! :)
Sponsored

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
can someone post a pic of the dipstick with the correct amount of oil on it. I had a similar experience at my dealership. Told 3 of the employees it takes 5 quarts. they argued with me for a bit but said they would look it up after I mentioned what the manual stated. They agreed it took 5 quarts of 0-20w. invoice says 6 quarts of 5-20w, said something to them about it and they stated we put in what the manual says 5 quarts of 0-20 but the invoice prints out 6 of 5-20w. How tough is it to fix the computerized invoice???

But if someone could post a pic of a dipstick with the correct level of oil on it that would be appreciated and helpful for lots of forum members.

Thank you in advance!

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tip. We have Advanced Auto's all around where I live so I may just start changing my oil again and do what you said to store it in a 5 gallon Jerry can. Thanks! :)
Honestly, I gave it up for years since I became lazy, and my BMW was always covered with expensive and cumbersome oil changes, but I just changed the oil in my Jeep two days ago, and really couldn't be easier. I especially like the fact that it takes 5 quarts, so I can just dump the large 5-quart bottle of oil in and be done. Walmart carries the Oil, and Oil Fuel Filter (MO-349) and you should be able to get both for about 33 bucks or so. I picked up a couple of those green Gerry cans (metal) off of eBay maybe 5 years ago. I used them previously for fuel, but don't use either any longer, so one became a used oil storage container for me.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Word of warning to JL/U owners,

I just got my 2nd oil change at my local Jeep dealer (only because it’s “free”) and they put 6 quarts in instead of the specified 5. I told the service guy twice that make sure the tech puts the correct amount in since they did the same thing on my first oil change. Check your oil levels even if you tell them that it’s only 5.
Totally unacceptable!!! Regardless of what the manual says or anyone else, there is this thing called a "dip stick", that when used properly, gives you an accurate reading. Anyone that is not checking the oil level "properly" after changing the oil it is a ... "dip shit"!

If it was me, I would check it "properly" before leaving the dealer. If it was overfilled, I would drive right up to their front door, get out, unscrew the drain plug and dump the extra quart of oil right there on their side walk. Fu*king idiots!

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
My concern would be:

“If I had to school them up on how many quarts of oil the vehicle they sold me requires, can I trust them to rotate my tires, torque lugnuts, or do anything else right?”

Sponsored

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
can someone post a pic of the dipstick with the correct amount of oil on it. I had a similar experience at my dealership. Told 3 of the employees it takes 5 quarts. they argued with me for a bit but said they would look it up after I mentioned what the manual stated. They agreed it took 5 quarts of 0-20w. invoice says 6 quarts of 5-20w, said something to them about it and they stated we put in what the manual says 5 quarts of 0-20 but the invoice prints out 6 of 5-20w. How tough is it to fix the computerized invoice???

But if someone could post a pic of a dipstick with the correct level of oil on it that would be appreciated and helpful for lots of forum members.

Thank you in advance!

Here you go:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-avoid-oil-overfill.14789/page-16#post-657975

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Folks, I mean this respectfully... but I don't understand why some of you STILL take it to the dealership for oil changes. I've been reading about these alleged overfills for over a year now, with folks having these horror stories on our/this forum. I generally avoid the dealership service like a plague anyways, so I'm not affected by their incompetence. For major warranty repairs, we have no choice but to use them. But generally speaking, if you're a "car person" (i.e. someone who cares deeply about their vehicles), taking it to a dealership for service usually (not always) results in unsatisfactory work.

But oil changes??? just because it's FREE? That's not reason enough to go get it done by them.... That task is one of the easiest if not easiest tasks to do. Plus it's fun!

EE9C5301-0B02-4D76-8BB6-AE8A681E43CA.jpeg

CE62503C-A095-4FB1-A4A3-2F52924E3F16.jpeg

Last edited:

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
My concern would be:

“If I had to school them up on how many quarts of oil the vehicle they sold me requires, can I trust them to rotate my tires, torque lugnuts, or do anything else right?”
My dealer did my first rotation... wheels were well under-torqued. About a month later, I had them swtich out the stock wheels for a set of Methods. They were torqued well past the recommeneded 130. I couldn't even yank them off with a breaker bar out of concern for bending it or damaging the splines. I had to bang them loose with a mallet.

So,the little trust I had went out the window.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
My dealer did my first rotation... wheels were well under-torqued. About a month later, I had them swtich out the stock wheels for a set of Methods. They were torqued well past the recommeneded 130. I couldn't even yank them off with a breaker bar out of concern for bending it or damaging the splines. I had to bang them loose with a mallet.

So,the little trust I had went out the window.
That’s of even greater concern with your aluminum wheels than my steelies.
I might not be able to get mine off with hand tools.
Your $1500 wheels might be ruined.
I have Spydertrax aluminum spacers.
They specifically prohibit impact tools.
Are aluminum wheels different?

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Owners manual
So, I have to ask... looking at your new occupation, does that make you a dipstick who's an oil level expert? ;)
I should add... I don't think you're a dipstick.

Go ahead... I deserve to be roasted.

Last edited:

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Folks, I mean this respectfully... but I don't understand why some of you STILL take it to the dealership for oil changes. I've been reading about these alleged overfills for over a year now, with folks having these horror stories on our/this forum. I generally avoid the dealership service like a plague anyways, so I'm not affected by their incompetence. For major warranty repairs, we have no choice but to use them. But generally speaking, if you're a "car person" (i.e. someone who cares deeply about their vehicles), taking it to a dealership for service usually (not always) results in unsatisfactory work.

But oil changes??? just because it's FREE? That's not reason enough to go get it done by them.... That task is one of the easiest if not easiest tasks to do. Plus it's fun!

EE9C5301-0B02-4D76-8BB6-AE8A681E43CA.jpeg
Easy to say for the guy with a lift in his garage ;)

With that said I do generally agree with you. I own a condo and can do the oil change in a parking lot similar to an apartment complex. Since the Jeep is so high I don't need to jack it up.

Also others mentioned oil disposal was once an issue but now most hardware stores will take it for free. I'm sure it's much better they take it for free rather than charging and ultimately people just dumping it in the woods.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

I'm with you... but I think a lot of folks here may have neither the resources, tools, time, or confidence to change their own. I get it... it's just a couple sockets, a funnel, a pan, filter/oil, & some beer. And something to smoke. Jack stands not necessary. But some just don't want to or don't feel like it (totally understood).

With all these new-fangled computers, I take my M3 to the dealer for oil changes since it's a little... sensitive. And precious. Easy to do on a 911 (apologies for seeming obnoxious).

Doing this kinda work yourself is incredibly easy and satisfying.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Easy to say for the guy with a lift in his garage ;)

With that said I do generally agree with you. I own a condo and can do the oil change in a parking lot similar to an apartment complex. Since the Jeep is so high I don't need to jack it up.

Also others mentioned oil disposal was once an issue but now most hardware stores will take it for free. I'm sure it's much better they take it for free rather than charging and ultimately people just dumping it in the woods.
It's old age... I can't bend over or crawl anymore :) lol

But seriously, yes - I wasn't even thinking of the fact that you don't even HAVE to use jacks. Wranglers are high enough that you could just get to it right there and then.

As far as oil dumping, yeah it's not bad at all. Once my container is full/close to full, any auto parts store or Jiffy Lube will take it.

At the end of the day, I get it - everyone's different in what they enjoy or not enjoy doing... and everyone values their time differently. To each their own. But folks need to be aware of high likelihood that if they do take it to the dealership for service, that things may go wrong.

I'm with you... but I think a lot of folks here may have neither the resources, tools, time, or confidence to change their own. I get it... it's just a couple sockets, a funnel, a pan, filter/oil, & some beer. And something to smoke. Jack stands not necessary. But some just don't want to or don't feel like it (totally understood).

With all these new-fangled computers, I take my M3 to the dealer for oil changes since it's a little... sensitive. And precious. Easy to do on a 911 (apologies for seeming obnoxious).

Doing this kinda work yourself is incredibly easy and satisfying.
You bring up a good point. JL owners who choose to bring their JL's to the dealership for service shouldn't have to suffer from bad service (overfills, damaging paint, etc.). Maybe this goes back to @JeepCares ..... please improve the quality standards of your dealerships. I'll be the first to say, some if not most, are horrible.

The way I see it, because I know that there is a high chance I won't be satisfied with their work, I choose to not utilize dealership services unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You bring up a good point. JL owners who choose to bring their JL's to the dealership for service shouldn't have to suffer from bad service (overfills, damaging paint, etc.). Maybe this goes back to @JeepCares ..... please improve the quality standards of your dealerships. I'll be the first to say, some if not most, are horrible.

The way I see it, because I know that there is a high chance I won't be satisfied with their work, I choose to not utilize dealership services unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.
@JeepCares - The comment "please improve the quality standards of your dealerships" isn't just a few people's comments in a few online forums. According to this 2018 JD Powers Dealership Service Experience report. Jeep service departments are tied for last place. Again. https://www.jdpower.com/Cars/Ratings/Dealership-Experience/2018/CSI
Sponsored