Need advice: car accident damage to steering

Texcal

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
So I was hit by a drunk driver about a week ago and he hit my drivers side front fender at around 5-10mph. There was damage to my steel bumper (you should have seen his Hyundai :) ) and fender flare. My Jeep is now at a FCA certified body shop and damages estimated to be around $2500. They're replacing everything cosmetic with OEM so i'm not worried about that. I am a little worried about my steering. My steering wheel was off about 90 degrees to the right when driving straight after the accident. The repair shop said they do an alignment to fix the issue. If they find additional damage while doing so they said it would be added to the overall estimate and repaired.

With this context is there anything I should look out for when I receive the vehicle back around the steering? Do you think there are potential unseen damages I should be concerned about? This is my first auto accident so I i'm just trying to gauge the situation. Any help is appreciated!

IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
Sponsored

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Maybe just a bent control arm, happened to me when I hit an Atlanta pothole with my lowered BMW once.

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
Bent axle housing
Bent axle rod
Bent knuckle
Broken or loose ball joints
Bent upper and/or lower control arm
Bent track bar
Bent tie rod
Shock and spring damage
Any damage to the brake rotor or caliper and pads (have them inspect the anti-lock brake mechanism)

Make sure to get the alignment details to prove out they did it.
Make sure they re-balance ALL tires.
Then drive it and see if it shimmies or shakes before signing off on the repair. Drive it slow. Drive it fast. Drive it bumpy if possible.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
With this context is there anything I should look out for when I receive the vehicle back around the steering? Do you think there are potential unseen damages I should be concerned about? This is my first auto accident so I i'm just trying to gauge the situation. Any help is appreciated!
That sucks! Damn DUI driver!!! But I'd say a lot of your concerns depend on how good the body shop is. Quality of the repair depends on the quality of the shop. If they are highly rated with good reviews then they'll probably do it right the first time. That being said a thorough test drive would be in order (as others have mentioned).

Good luck getting your Jeep repaired!

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, I hate drunk drivers. There's just no reason to drink, and drive. Glad that you weren't injured in any way.I would say just keep in touch with the body shop to keep yourself updated. If they're any good at all they will check everything concerning the steering, axles, etc. Then replace or repair what's needed. Just make sure you are happy with everything before you sign off on anything. Good luck.

Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
with a hit like that to a solid front axle with cast knuckles and outer c's, I would demand that they at least magnaflux the cast parts. it needs to be inspected by someone who can really determine if it is damaged or not. if it is bent, it may be able to be brought into alignment by adjusting the steering, but it won't change the fact that it may not have the structural integrity anymore.

I would almost bring up to the body shop that with the potential for issues, a new front axle assembly might be necessary.

Also, depending on if the axle was pushed back hard enough, all the front links (control arms) need to be checked as well as the front driveshaft and front output on the transfer case needs to be inspected.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I got T-boned several years ago by a drunk driver. She was in a Jeep. I was in a Ram Dually.

She hit me behind the cab, so it was mostly just a new bed required.

Repair was done; all seemed well.

A few months later I noticed the tires on the damaged side were wearing unevenly. Turned out that the axle housing was bent.

I contacted her insurance company, and they took care of it.

So if you do have problems later, you probably have recourse.

I’m with the previous posters, though. I’d want more than a body shop’s visual inspection and an alignment. Front end damage can ruin a vehicle, and get you killed.

Edit: I’d look into getting compensated for diminished value too. Even if it’s fixed good as new, it’s still going to show up on a VIN search that it was wrecked.

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So I was hit by a drunk driver about a week ago and he hit my drivers side front fender at around 5-10mph. There was damage to my steel bumper (you should have seen his Hyundai :) ) and fender flare. My Jeep is now at a FCA certified body shop and damages estimated to be around $2500. They're replacing everything cosmetic with OEM so i'm not worried about that. I am a little worried about my steering. My steering wheel was off about 90 degrees to the right when driving straight after the accident. The repair shop said they do an alignment to fix the issue. If they find additional damage while doing so they said it would be added to the overall estimate and repaired.

IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
that’s $2500 damage? The bumper itself is like $1000 not counting the skid plates...

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I'd have a full suspension inspection done as well as the axle tubing checked for straightness. make sure the abs is fully inspected. Make sure to ask for a full hard copy off all inspections and the numbers they come up with for your records. ill bet you didnt get any damage expect maybe a bet tie rod or steering track bar. but better to be safe than sorry! glad your ok though!.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've seen 2 suggestions of "checking the ABS."

Not sure what that's about as ABS at the axle is just a WSS, so basically a magnet and a couple wires ....well and a tone ring I guess but if that were damaged I'd expect your rotor to be fubar'd

Anyway OP you're right to do your due diligence but temper it with some reality - I've seen only Chicken Littles in here and to read the thread there is NO doubt you WILL kill a bus load of pregnant nuns whilst simultaneously causing global warming and killing immigrants.

Seriously, don't let these guys make you panic, although I will say I too was shocked to read an estimate of $2500. These days $2500 fixes a tiny scratch and maybe buys you a wheel plastic center cap.

Either way, take a breath and remember the internet isn't real life.

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
It's been 2 weeks now. Any updates on inspections, repairs or estimates?

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I've seen 2 suggestions of "checking the ABS."

Not sure what that's about as ABS at the axle is just a WSS, so basically a magnet and a couple wires ....well and a tone ring I guess but if that were damaged I'd expect your rotor to be fubar'd

Anyway OP you're right to do your due diligence but temper it with some reality - I've seen only Chicken Littles in here and to read the thread there is NO doubt you WILL kill a bus load of pregnant nuns whilst simultaneously causing global warming and killing immigrants.

Seriously, don't let these guys make you panic, although I will say I too was shocked to read an estimate of $2500. These days $2500 fixes a tiny scratch and maybe buys you a wheel plastic center cap.

Either way, take a breath and remember the internet isn't real life.
I believe that post falls under the category of “hyperbole”.

Also incendiary.

And gratuitously demeaning to everyone who previously tried to help the OP.

Nicely done, Sir. You hit the trifecta.

OP
OP
Texcal

Texcal

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's been 2 weeks now. Any updates on inspections, repairs or estimates?
I'm supposed to get the Jeep back today (6/28). I'm waiting on the call from the shop to tell me it's ready. I don't know in what order they've done the work but the estimate hasn't changed, I would have been contacted if it had. So hopefully all goes well. Supposedly, the work is guaranteed for as long as I own the car. I just hope I don't have an issue with the steering components down the line and they claim it's from another problem, not related to their work. All that said, they have excellent reviews and the customer service has been excellent to this point. They're also a "FCA Certified" shop, whatever that means.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I'm supposed to get the Jeep back today (6/28). I'm waiting on the call from the shop to tell me it's ready. I don't know in what order they've done the work but the estimate hasn't changed, I would have been contacted if it had. So hopefully all goes well. Supposedly, the work is guaranteed for as long as I own the car. I just hope I don't have an issue with the steering components down the line and they claim it's from another problem, not related to their work. All that said, they have excellent reviews and the customer service has been excellent to this point. They're also a "FCA Certified" shop, whatever that means.
I leased a Grand Cherokee. An FCA certified shop is helpful when you need accident repairs and you are leasing. At least that is what my dealer advised when I needed mine repaired.

OP
OP
Texcal

Texcal

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got my Jeep back. You can see the list of parts that were replaced in the attached image. The bumper was replaced but had a giant scratch on it so they're ordering a new one. The steering wheel also has a knocking noise when turning the wheel semi-rapidly between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. They're aware of the issue and will address it. I'm going on a longer drive this friday to see how it holds up. They've asked to report back with any findings. Overall, the body shop and insurance have been great.

IMG_0207.JPG
Sponsored