Sponsored

Dealer messed it up again and used 7.5 quarts of oil

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
One of my dealers offered free hand car washes. Unfortunately the car washers did a terrible job and caused damage to the paint. I would tell the service advisors not to wash my car but every once in a while the message did not get to the detailers. I ended up making a place card asking them not to wash my car. It was a very polite note. I placed the note on the seat. No more misunderstandings after that.

A simple, very polite, note left in the JL reminding the tech of oil capacity should do the trick.
Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
When the first oil change came up on my wifes JLU, I told her repeatedly to let the service manager know 5 QTS!
She brought it home that night and I asked her again, She said she told them repeatedly. I checked the invoice...6 QTS. I checked the dipstick...It was definitely overfilled.

I called the service manager and bitched so they did another oil change...It was correct this time.

When the next oil change came up I told my wife to beat it into their heads.. 5 QTS! When she came home that night the invoice said 6 QTS again, but the oil level was actually correct. So their "system" has it incorrect. We'll see if they correct that the next time around.
The same thing happened to me. Overfilled twice in a row despite my telling them upfront that it takes 5 quarts. Both times I checked the oil before leaving the lot.

This time the Service Manager traced it back to the Parts Department, which supplied 6 quarts for each oil change and the technician just put it in.

According to him the problem (at his dealership) is now "fixed" but we'll see.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
One of my dealers offered free hand car washes. Unfortunately the car washers did a terrible job and caused damage to the paint. I would tell the service advisors not to wash my car but every once in a while the message did not get to the detailers. I ended up making a place card asking them not to wash my car. It was a very polite note. I placed the note on the seat. No more misunderstandings after that.

A simple, very polite, note left in the JL reminding the tech of oil capacity should do the trick.
They put 6 quarts in my first oil change. 2nd oil change, I left a note on my dashboard, taped to the windshield so it couldn't be missed. They still F'd up and put 6 quarts in. The person that drives the vehicle into the service bay is not necessarily the same person who does the actual oil change. That's why I put the dog tag on the dip stick.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 11.20.21 AM.png

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
To all the people stating they do their own oil changes on their JL, are you not worried about this voiding a warranty claim on the engine if something goes wrong?

OP
OP
WilliamstownLakeDude

WilliamstownLakeDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Porsche Macan & 2018 Punk'n JL Sahara
Holy shit. Are you planning on calling them out or just letting it go? This shit is insane.

I believe in planned obsolescence, but I'm calling bs on hiring dimwits to cause grief. If a car shits the bed after a couple years, I'm not buying the same make. Unfortunately, there are just a lot of dumb people that go into mechanics, so they don't have the best pool to choose from. I'm not disparaging all mechanics, much less the trade.
Oh I fully intend on calling the owner of the dealership (have his cell lol) and informing him that his service manager has such a god-complex so that he can never be wrong, no matter how obvious. I also intend to ruin their reputation as a dealership as much as possible thru various mediums for reasons including, but not limited to, the oil issues.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
To all the people stating they do their own oil changes on their JL, are you not worried about this voiding a warranty claim on the engine if something goes wrong?
No, DIYd for 40 years now. There was a huge thread regarding this elsewhere in the forum, even @JeepCares replied to it. Just keep your receipts (I store all mine on a flash drive, since some receipts ink disappears over time)

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
No, DIYd for 40 years now. There was a huge thread regarding this elsewhere in the forum, even @JeepCares replied to it. Just keep your receipts (I store all mine on a flash drive, since some receipts ink disappears over time)
Thanks for the info, I had no idea!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
This will be an ongoing thing for the life / ownership of the JL. Adding the dog tag to the dip stick or oil cap seems to be the only way to remind them since the customer to service advisor to tech communication is so poor.

I dunno I've never even remotely pondered having someone else change my oil, so it's actually completely a non-issue :)

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I dunno I've never even remotely pondered having someone else change my oil, so it's actually completely a non-issue :)
Of course it is a non-issue if you change your own oil. :) I was addressing Viper's comment that putting a note in the vehicle isn't a guarantee because the person who drives it into the bay isn't necessarily the person who changes the oil.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
They put 6 quarts in my first oil change. 2nd oil change, I left a note on my dashboard, taped to the windshield so it couldn't be missed. They still F'd up and put 6 quarts in. The person that drives the vehicle into the service bay is not necessarily the same person who does the actual oil change. That's why I put the dog tag on the dip stick.

my dog tagged shipped, and inbound! :)

Sponsored

Jeep It

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S in Firecracker Red
Update: After arguing with the service manager, I took my Jeep to a trusted mechanic to have the oil drained and measured. The dealer put in 7.5 quarts of oil into a 5 quart engine...
Un-fricking-real. And I thought Jiffy Lube was bad:surprised:

As I posted in a different thread, my dealer thought it was 6 quarts too. Thanks to the owner’s manual and this forum, I knew it was 5 quarts. So when the service writer (nice guy, willing to learn) and the tech who was doing the work (give a crap less guy) both said adamantly it was 6, I showed them the owners manual on my phone to prove it. The service writer then checked other info from Jeep, confirmed it was 5 quarts, then came and told me what he found out and that they were putting 5 quarts in it. And yes.......I checked it myself afterwards to verify:like:

I’ll probably let them do the next oil change as they did get it right (eventually), but I’ll definitely be reminding them again.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Surprised this is STILL an issue for the dealers. Think these guys would wake up by now. This was an issue when I bought my Jeep back in October '18. I refuse to let any dealers change my oil, and have not used up any of my 4 free oil changes or tire rotations. Just surprised. These JL's have been out for well over a year now.

It's just so simple to change the oil on this thing, why bother with the lame dealers when I can do it myself in like 15 minutes.
The main reason I don't like to change my own oil is because of having to dispose of the old oil. Other than that I'll work on my Jeep any day!

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Most of the autoparts stores will take used oil for free - I think it's like 5 gallons per day limit here in my area. The county even has used oil receptacles at the trash dumps. I got and old 5 gallon can that I use and take the oil off when it's near full.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Last week- scheduled service. Called service dept the day before to clarify they would run the TSB for my jet-engine fan AND that they would only put in 5 quarts of oil in. The svc manager proceeded to tell me, "No we will put in 6 and it will be fine.". Here is where you all say how or why did you still take it to that dealership!? Well, I told him on the phone that if they did in fact put 6 quarts in then I would stay in their svc dept until they drained a quart, regardless of how inconvenient it was for them. I assured them I would come equipped with the JL manual and we could have a discussion if they felt it necessary at that time.
I show up for service and the manager apologized and said he looked it up and I was in fact correct. He admitted they had been overfilling all their JLs. He did seem to have educated himself on the new engine overnight, which I appreciated. Service complete- upon pickup my invoice reads 6 quarts. When brought to manager's attention he assures me it is just a line item and that 6 quarts are always supplied by parts, but he says he and the service tech had a specific discussion about my Jeep and 5 quarts. He checked with tech who confirms he only used 5 per their discussion beforehand. He went out with me and checked oil level which was perfectly filled. I felt ok about that. We had a discussion and the MANAGER said they have had zero training or correspondence with FCA regarding the change to 5 quarts. He thanked me for the education and I told him to not thank me, bit thank JLWF.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The main reason I don't like to change my own oil is because of having to dispose of the old oil. Other than that I'll work on my Jeep any day!
I can understand that, but somewhere along the line maybe 10 years ago or so I noticed that local gas stations, and the regular run of stores like Pep Boys, Advanced Auto Parts, O'Rileys, and what not also started to take oil without having to pay them to drop it off. I store my used oil in a 5 gallon Jerry can I picked up on Amazon years ago, and just take it to a local store when full. They just have you go to the back with your container, and empty into one of their storage tanks. Anyhow has migrated to a no fuss, no muss type of deal these days.
Sponsored