First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I think I understand it in principle, but I am preternaturally disposed to hate such things.

Can’t help it.

Is it in fact useful, or just another nanny which assumes I’m an idiot, will make bad decisions, and seeks to save me from my stupid self?
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've always assumed if you can't drive --which increasingly is the trend in our society -- it's great.

If you can, it'll just work against you, similar to how we were taught to pump the brakes but if you do that it just confuses ABS

But they're slowly teaching less and less in driver's education until we'll HAVE TO have self-driving cars

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I've always assumed if you can't drive --which increasingly is the trend in our society -- it's great.

If you can, it'll just work against you, similar to how we were taught to pump the brakes but if you do that it just confuses ABS

But they're slowly teaching less and less in driver's education until we'll HAVE TO have self-driving cars
If you need drivers ed, you’re probably stupid.

OP
OP
brazos

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
If you need drivers ed, you’re probably stupid.
I needed Driver’s Ed to get my license at 15, instead of waiting until I was 16.

My Dad had just been given a company car, and there was a 389 Catalina convertible sitting in the driveway waiting for me.

Mother was happy with her MGB.

Taking Driver’s Ed was a no-brainer, but it wasn’t stupid.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I needed Driver’s Ed to get my license at 15, instead of waiting until I was 16.

My Dad has just been given a company car, and there was a 389 Catalina convertible sitting in the driveway waiting for me.

Mother was happy with her MGB.

Taking Driver’s Ed was a no-brainer, but it wasn’t stupid.
Okay let me be more clear, if you need drivers ed to learn how to drive a car, there is no hope.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
If you are under 18 in Ohio, you have to have driver's education. Because my daughter was 18, I could teach her to drive. Driver's ed has nothing to do with stupidity. And some insurances actually give a discount for having taken it.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
There's little hope of parents teaching kids how to drive.

Just watch after-school pickup if you don't believe this

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
There's little hope of parents teaching kids how to drive.

Just watch after-school pickup if you don't believe this
Yea, most people are stupid, and dangerous.

This thread feels slightly derailed now. Anyone have any insight as to how the ESC actually helps anyone?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
"When ESC detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to wheels individually, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer, or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer."

It applies mostly in emergency situations where you don't have time to react, no matter how smart or well-trained you might be.
I've heard ESC has saved as many lives as seat belts. It's massively useful. I understand it can cause issues in certain very specific off-roading applications - it's not really designed for off-road.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
"When ESC detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to wheels individually, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer, or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer."

It applies mostly in emergency situations where you don't have time to react, no matter how smart or well-trained you might be.
I've heard ESC has saved as many lives as seat belts. It's massively useful. I understand it can cause issues in certain very specific off-roading applications - it's not really designed for off-road.
Basically yaw control, no?

It's no fun at all on my private road in the winter ;)

I'm still trying to figure out how with 77:1 crawl ratio and this thing called a brake pedal hill descent control helps me. I've never touched that button (shrug)

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Electronic Stability Control sounds like some sort of new mental health terminology lol

Oops PC culture, can’t say electronic, can’t say stability, and definitely can’t say control. I apologize to anyone whom I may have offended.

LOL

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I totally agree. It is way too easy to get your license and, even though I have had mine for 45 years, there should be additional testing at a certain age to ensure that you are worthy to keep it. Too many rude idiots on the road blocking traffic in the left lane and not using their turn signals. Put down your cell phone, pay attention and drive. Then, you wouldn't need all of this electronic BS that's designed to keep the idiots behind the wheel.

OP
OP
brazos

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I like broccoli better than Brussels sprouts.