Sponsored

Forward Collision - How to test?

jeep949shopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, Rav4
How can I test that the forward collision is working? When I picked up my JLUR, the dash indicated that forward collision was turned off. I then figured to turn it on, via UConnect settings. Now the dash warning is off. I set to warning only (not active breaking). However when I get close to a wall, I don't hear any beeping. Does it have to be a vehicle? Am I supposed to hear beeping?
Sponsored

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
FCA has a couple videos about it. I’ll see if I can find the links. Just be aware that the “Active Forward Collision” braking they use is not the same as you see from other manufacturers. According to the videos you’ll first receive the audible & visual alerts, then the braking will engage slightly to “assist”. From what I can tell it won’t lock up the brakes like the rear Park Assist is capable of. The driver is still responsible for fully engaging the brakes and stopping the vehicle.

The adaptive cruise control works a little differently. Under normal circumstances it will slowly bring the vehicle to a stop if the car in front of you slows down/stops gently. But interestingly, I’ve had ACC engaged, had someone cut in front of me and the ACC disengaged while also giving me the BRAKE!! warning.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
not sure how it works in the JL, but the way that I tested it in another vehicle was with a large piece of styrofoam and a cardboard box and it worked every time. I had it in a Benz and it was ok, the issue I had is that if there is any driver input the system is disengaged (steering wheel or brake), so basically if you were in slow traffic say 5-10 mph and dropped your cell phone or something and while fishing for it not paying attention it would prevent a fender bender, but if you were just not paying attention to traffic in front of you and react at the last second (touching the steering wheel or brake) most likely you are going to hit the vehicle in front of you if you don't react fast enough...

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
Mine is set to warning only in my 2019. I have a feeling it works on a speed factor. Mine goes off if im approaching another car to quickly. Egg. Car in front of you slams on brakes and slows down and you are approaching them at a higher speed. Another time mine went off was when I was coming close to a car in front of me that I knew I was going to pass..

OP
OP
jeep949shopper

jeep949shopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, Rav4
Found these videos:

Not sure what to make out of this:

Sponsored

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Had a 2017 GC Trailhawk that had the forward collision warning and the rare times that it did go off was when I was coming up on someone that was turning right. I was anticipating their speed and knew I would not hit them but it would detect I was coming up on them and throw the audio/video alert. It also happened once when someone lingered when moving to the middle lane but since in that case they were directly in front of me, the system hit the brakes. I didn't expect it to at all and it was kind of funny after... was the first time it actually hit the brakes...so, was a lol moment.

It was just those rare moments when the timing was just perfect to catch it. It was tuned pretty well for my tastes though. I never had issues with it other than when I was actually getting close to someone. No phantom alerts.

If I remember correctly there is a setting in the uconnect for distance and to turn the brake option on/off.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, it definitely works all right! My '19 JLUR has both warning and active braking turned on and i didn't have any cruise control turned on. Car out ahead of me was turning right and i was clearing it with enough room to not have to slow down myself and everyone behind me. I was still lightly accelerating when the warning sound and braking kicked in. It brought me down to walking speed before it let me continue. It was a panic stop, not just a little tap to get my attention. I ended up turning the sensitivity down because it definitely overeacted and my driving is far from aggressive.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
I don't have the active braking on after it detected a forward collision in a torrential downpour while I was on the road by myself but it still screams at you. After a couple minutes it stopped doing that...only guess is even though it didn't feel like it, the rain must've lightened up enough for it not to detect. It was odd...my first time experiencing forward collision warning.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Oh, it definitely works all right! My '19 JLUR has both warning and active braking turned on and i didn't have any cruise control turned on. Car out ahead of me was turning right and i was clearing it with enough room to not have to slow down myself and everyone behind me. I was still lightly accelerating when the warning sound and braking kicked in. It brought me down to walking speed before it let me continue. It was a panic stop, not just a little tap to get my attention. I ended up turning the sensitivity down because it definitely overeacted and my driving is far from aggressive.
I had two Subarus with Eyesight that worked without issues so when I saw it was avail in the Jeep I went for it.
I had a similar issue on the highway in traffic, slammed on the brakes with no warning and no danger I could detect. I have no ideas what it thought it saw but I'm glad nobody was following too close. Turned off the active braking and won't turn it back on. Love the acc though, use it all the time.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I had two Subarus with Eyesight that worked without issues so when I saw it was avail in the Jeep I went for it.
I had a similar issue on the highway in traffic, slammed on the brakes with no warning and no danger I could detect. I have no ideas what it thought it saw but I'm glad nobody was following too close. Turned off the active braking and won't turn it back on. Love the acc though, use it all the time.
Good to know. I've had it on in heavy rain and snow and haven't had any problems, but nice to hear that it could be an issue. I've had the active braking turned on since I bought it (8K+ miles ago) and have never had it intervene (just warning beeps). I also really like the ACC, I drove my daughter's SUV the other day and forgot how much normal cruise control lacks. :like:
Sponsored