First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
What it should look like
1475501145-gallery-1456341956-b6.jpg
Looks good to me. Remember that on a pure aesthetics jeep isnt a beauty either, it's rather clunky. It's what you can do with it that makes it appealing, top off, doors off, off road capability, mod-ability, ect. I look at a jeep and just see FUN. If Ford makes it FUN the aesthetics of the vehicle will be secondary, same as jeep.

BTW I didnt think ford was doing a 2 door model only 4.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I would like it to look similar to one of the two following. The first of which is a rendering based on the tarp outline teaser from last year.

ford-bronco-rendering-blue.jpg

The other being a concept that Ford built in the early 2000's that last year's "Rampage" movie used.

ford-bronco-concept-2004-detroit-auto-show_100533231_h.jpg

@Rogues Gambit's "Bronco" looks like a uni-body explorer with ugly rounded edges, and he should feel bad for posting it, nevermind praising it!

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
IMHO, that IS pretty hideous. Looks as much like an IH Scout, as it does a Bronco.The front sheet metal is so far removed from a current Ranger that it seems impractical for Ford to build it looking like that. However, some of the super-rich people in my area are showing up with restored 70s-ear Broncos that look a little like that. Maybe that's the market they would be looking at...? The only similarity to a Wrangler would be that they are both aerodynamic bricks.
IH Scout II mixed with a K5 Blazer. And a hint of Bronco.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
IH Scout II mixed with a K5 Blazer. And a hint of Bronco.
personally I like all of those, so not the worst combo to have. just like how a Wrangler and a old fj, defender, and g-wagon all look similar.

I think a lot of people forget that the original "Jeeps" were largely made by Ford and Willy's, and were not Chrysler products until the late 80s. the Jeep was originally first and foremost a vehicle designed to be a capable off-road vehicle that was made by many manufacturers. it was not a Cash cow for one brand who was more worried about the bottom line than a vehicle designed to perform.

all of the manufacturers use design elements from others, and hopefully they take what's good and make improvements. that is how progress is made. at one time Jeep owners were furious that the coil springs were introduced, now I'm sure there are many who would not own anything with leaf springs front and rear on something like a Wrangler.

I hope the bronco comes out and is a big threat / competitor to the Wrangler. then maybe we will also see something from GM. once there are true alternative options to the wrangler we will see some real efforts to produce a superior product that performs off-road and does not cut corners and put saftey and durability as secondary comcerns. like it or not, the Wrangler has been in a class of it's own for a while, and that's why we have 10yr between major design changes, and why we have things like subpar quality parts etc. forcing you to go aftermarket for a reliable, safer vehicle. straight axle does not always mean death wobble. there are a lot of hd trucks that are fine. sure some see it, but normally after many, many miles, or a lift etc. with wranglers, some see it within a few thousand miles stock. when a new model has had to redesign main steering / front end components over 5 times in 2 years you know something is up. cutting costs and maximizing profits are more of a priority than building a good vehicle now as no other options exist for those who need the capability a Wrangler provides.

I have had issues with my JLUR, but I still plan to buy another. as of now there are no other options to get me where I want to go. however, if in a few years that changes I feel that is a good thing, and welcome the competition.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I hope the bronco is fugly when it finally comes out. That way I won’t have to buy one. But...I’d buy fugly if it had a 3.5 eco boost

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
personally I like all of those, so not the worst combo to have. just like how a Wrangler and a old fj, defender, and g-wagon all look similar.

I think a lot of people forget that the original "Jeeps" were largely made by Ford and Willy's, and were not Chrysler products until the late 80s. the Jeep was originally first and foremost a vehicle designed to be a capable off-road vehicle that was made by many manufacturers. it was not a Cash cow for one brand who was more worried about the bottom line than a vehicle designed to perform.

all of the manufacturers use design elements from others, and hopefully they take what's good and make improvements. that is how progress is made. at one time Jeep owners were furious that the coil springs were introduced, now I'm sure there are many who would not own anything with leaf springs front and rear on something like a Wrangler.

I hope the bronco comes out and is a big threat / competitor to the Wrangler. then maybe we will also see something from GM. once there are true alternative options to the wrangler we will see some real efforts to produce a superior product that performs off-road and does not cut corners and put saftey and durability as secondary comcerns. like it or not, the Wrangler has been in a class of it's own for a while, and that's why we have 10yr between major design changes, and why we have things like subpar quality parts etc. forcing you to go aftermarket for a reliable, safer vehicle. straight axle does not always mean death wobble. there are a lot of hd trucks that are fine. sure some see it, but normally after many, many miles, or a lift etc. with wranglers, some see it within a few thousand miles stock. when a new model has had to redesign main steering / front end components over 5 times in 2 years you know something is up. cutting costs and maximizing profits are more of a priority than building a good vehicle now as no other options exist for those who need the capability a Wrangler provides.

I have had issues with my JLUR, but I still plan to buy another. as of now there are no other options to get me where I want to go. however, if in a few years that changes I feel that is a good thing, and welcome the competition.
I like them as well but maybe my point wasn't clear when I said I didn't think that picture looked like a threat. A Jeep Wrangler has Two distinct identifiers that a competitor will have to match to truly compete.

1. It has to be a capable off-road machine. This includes the ability to be highly modified. The picture above looks like a street/light trail rig only. There is no room in those fenders for growth.

2. It has to have removable tops and doors. The windshield thing is overblown and not necessary but the top is a must. The Wrangler is the only SUV with this capability. I'd argue that the top and door removal is more important than the off-road capabilities.

In either case, the picture above does not look to meet either of these two criteria.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I like them as well but maybe my point wasn't clear when I said I didn't think that picture looked like a threat. A Jeep Wrangler has Two distinct identifiers that a competitor will have to match to truly compete.

1. It has to be a capable off-road machine. This includes the ability to be highly modified. The picture above looks like a street/light trail rig only. There is no room in those fenders for growth.

2. It has to have removable tops and doors. The windshield thing is overblown and not necessary but the top is a must. The Wrangler is the only SUV with this capability. I'd argue that the top and door removal is more important than the off-road capabilities.

In either case, the picture above does not look to meet either of these two criteria.
i do agree with you based on the designs I have seen so far. like I said, I truly hope it meets everyone's expectations for both on and off-road, but from the little details that are known or shown it seems the Wrangler will be sleeping safe for a while longer. may be the ranger raptor that gives it a better run off-road.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I would like it to look similar to one of the two following. The first of which is a rendering based on the tarp outline teaser from last year.

ford-bronco-rendering-blue.jpg

The other being a concept that Ford built in the early 2000's that last year's "Rampage" movie used.

ford-bronco-concept-2004-detroit-auto-show_100533231_h.jpg

@Rogues Gambit's "Bronco" looks like a uni-body explorer with ugly rounded edges, and he should feel bad for posting it, nevermind praising it!
I feel terrible indeed /s

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I'm encouraged that Ford can't eff it up by making it 'too retro', because the original was literally just a box with virtually no styling elements; maybe the crease where the front fender meets the hood? Or that metallic strip running the length of the truck? Even Ford couldn't screw up those two elements. They could easily botch the interior though, although the new Exploder finally has an interior that isn't an embarrassment like the Ranger, F-150, and the rest of their lineup.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler {filename}
Gotta say that the interior in my Raptor is phenomenal... as is the rest of the truck. No embarrassment there at all!

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
"...and they also rarely ever get the fuel economy promised." Is there a turbo engine in existence that gets the fuel economy promised? I really wish the EPA would test vehicles more as they are actually driven. Then perhaps turbocharging could be eliminated (as a fuel economy move anyway). Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against forced induction. I have owned several turbocharged cars. Hell, my wife drives a Golf R. I just think that, in a vehicle like the Wrangler, give me the simplicity and predictable power delivery of a larger displacement, NA engine.
15/22 in my Raptor... not too bad for a 5500# truck. The Jeep and Bronco will be apples to oranges and there will be room to appreciate both.

Garweft

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Looks good to me. Remember that on a pure aesthetics jeep isnt a beauty either, it's rather clunky...
Yo mama.

Seriously though, the Jeep look is iconic. It needs to look like every Jeep made before it with, at most, slight tweaks. Some of us still look at 4 door unlimiteds with disapproval.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta say that the interior in my Raptor is phenomenal... as is the rest of the truck. No embarrassment there at all!
I agree with you, the f150 Interior has long been regarded as the best truck interiors untilmtye new redisgn of the Ram. from what I have read, and from a few weeks in a rental while my JLUR was in the shop the new Ram does really have an impressive Interior. hopefully now others will step up and take theirs to the same level. that's what is great about true competition in a segment. something that the Wrangler has long been missing,

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager

Why does being capable offroad = ability to heavily modify? A stock Rubicon, trd pro, Bison, G-wagon and many others are fantastic off road with zero mods.

I don't really see the lack of a convertible and removable doors as a roadblock for being successful. I'd further argue that only a very small minority actually drive without doors. It's not even legal to drive on the highways without doors (interstates) since the mirrors are mounted on the doors. In many states it is completely illegal to drive anywhere without doors. Pennsylvania legal code section 175.77(f) for example.
Texas allows it as long as you have 1 mirror able to see at least 250ft behind you.

At the end of the day, people need to face the reality of Jeeps.
The good folks on this board do modify their Jeeps and do drive offroad. Some hardcore, some only for light trails and overlanding.
The majority of Jeeps sold are not offroaded though. People get them because they look "off roady" and rugged.

If it looks tough, a bit chunky and "seems" like it would be good offroad, people who don't hardcore wheel with cross-shop it with the Wrangler.
If if costs less, is nicer to drive and perhaps easier to live with as a DD, then they will buy it.
The folks that wheel hardcore will always buy Jeeps though.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.