Last edited:

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
See https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...els-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-241

I took both my 2018 Rubicon and Sport s in for service and the dealer applied a TSB software fix that centers the steering wheel, rechecked the torque on all suspension upfront. Different spec for JK vs JL.

Drove both for a week and issue started again with the Rubicon.
Sport s has zero issues now with steering.
Today dealer installed new track bar with better bushings, replaced the OEM(new version) steering Stabilizer, and set toe in to almost 20 degrees. (TSB for toe in max)
Stated that the bolts that hold the steering box was really loose and I would hear a knocking sound at slow speeds.
Stated if I had not brought it back in sooner than later the steering box would have to completely be replaced.

I would suspect that your steering box needs replaced.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I see your problem. You are trying to drive with one hand and play with your phone with the other. This is a safety feature in Wranglers requiring you to have both hands on the wheel at all times.

OP
OP

bbott

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep rubicon
See https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...els-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-241

I took both my 2018 Rubicon and Sport s in for service and the dealer applied a TSB software fix that centers the steering wheel, rechecked the torque on all suspension upfront. Different spec for JK vs JL.

Drove both for a week and issue started again with the Rubicon.
Sport s has zero issues now with steering.
Today dealer installed new track bar with better bushings, replaced the OEM(new version) steering Stabilizer, and set toe in to almost 20 degrees. (TSB for toe in max)
Stated that the bolts that hold the steering box was really loose and I would hear a knocking sound at slow speeds.
Stated if I had not brought it back in sooner than later the steering box would have to completely be replaced.

I would suspect that your steering box needs replaced.
ya im bringing it to the dealer monday. not taking it back until its fixed. this will be my 6th time. unreal

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
OP
OP

bbott

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep rubicon

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
Exactly what I printed off for the dealer and he had no issues with applying all the TSBs.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
That popping is WEIRD I'd say.

I might expect that on a '79 with a thrashed rag joint and worn steering box but not here...

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My '19 Sahara is the same Brandon. It has roughly 1 - 1 1/2 inch side to side play driving down the road. I gotten used to it, but sure would like to have at least some of that slop taken out. Keep us updated please. I plan on have a conversation with my dealer at the first oil change.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bbott

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep rubicon
My '19 Sahara is the same Brandon. It has roughly 1 - 1 1/2 inch side to side play driving down the road. I gotten used to it, but sure would like to have at least some of that slop taken out. Keep us updated please. I plan on have a conversation with my dealer at the first oil change.
will do. I will not be taking the vehicle back until the issue is fixed. This will be my 6th time at the dealer.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Took this video while driving today. Vehicle doesn’t move either direction while moving the steering wheel back and forth. I have a 2018 Rubicon. I have a Fox Steering Stabilizer and just got the updated track bar. Didn’t fix anything. I also took another video, when i turn the wheel all the way to the left and back center the wheel locks, then makes a popping noise. Been to the dealer 6 times now. This is some serious B.S.

link to steering wheel lock

link to lose steering
Check out the videos from Hi Jinx. He had the exact same problem.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE:

Took the Jeep in today. They are replacing the steering box. Hopefully this works. Fingers crossed!
Brandon, please let us know if that's fixes the slop in the steering wheel. If so it's off to the dealer I go. :)