Sponsored

Persistent Burning Smell

Subaru Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the long post but my 2018 JLUR has a persistent smell coming from the engine bay, it smells like something is overheating whenever the car is on. The smell is not really strong but it is for sure noticeable and it gets worse the longer the car is on. The issue started at around 7500 miles when it overheated and started smoking so I had to have the car towed in to the dealership. They told me the radiator had disconnected and the fluid had drained out so they replaced the radiator and coolant under warranty. About a month later I found a puddle of coolant underneath the jeep in my garage so I brought to the dealer again. They said they drained the fluid and refilled it but couldn't find any leaks so they just assumed it was some air bubble in the system that caused it to overflow and they just told me to bring it if anything else comes up.

Now its been 6 months and 8,000 miles later and the car is seems to drive okay but there is a persistent burning/ melting plastic smell coming from the front end of the engine bay that is noticeable to even people walking by the car. The smell seems worse now that its consistently over 100 degrees here in AZ. So I was wondering if anyone has any idea what's going on, I am starting to get tired of the going into the dealer and we are thinking of canceling our trip to Utah from AZ later this summer because we are very not confident that the jeep will make it. Any advice would be great, I am not sure if the overheating smell is just a 'jeep thing' or not but I did not think a car with only 15,000 miles on it would have this many problems.
Sponsored