Sponsored

Would mounting my Firestik antenna on the bottom hinge be a problem?

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I got the CoolTek mounting bracket for the tailgate hinge along with the 4' Firestik anteanna for my CB. I'm running stock wheels with 315/75/17 tires, and they're too wide to put the mounting bracket on the top hing of the tailgate without a spare tire mount extension, which I don't want to do unless I have to.

So my question is, if I lower the top of the antenna by 10" by mounting the bracket on the bottom hinge, would that make a big difference in the performance of the CB?
Sponsored

AmesosaurusRex

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Punk'n Metallic
I got the CoolTek mounting bracket for the tailgate hinge along with the 4' Firestik anteanna for my CB. I'm running stock wheels with 315/75/17 tires, and they're too wide to put the mounting bracket on the top hing of the tailgate without a spare tire mount extension, which I don't want to do unless I have to.

So my question is, if I lower the top of the antenna by 10" by mounting the bracket on the bottom hinge, would that make a big difference in the performance of the CB?
I found I got significantly worse reception on the bottom hinge. I actually switched to a 2' on the top hinge vs the 3' I had on the bottom hinge.

OP
OP
OldBird

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I found I got significantly worse reception on the bottom hinge. I actually switched to a 2' on the top hinge vs the 3' I had on the bottom hinge.
Thanks. My four foot antenna would at least be about 6" above the roofline. I was able to make it fit by flipping the mounting point upside down. Raised the antenna to where it just barely scrapes the 8' garage door. Gives plenty of clearance over the roof though, so it should be a good location.

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
I have the cool tech kit mounted to the bottom hinge and have no reception issues. I did add a small spring between the mount and the antenna for extra flexibility.

Obviously you’ll need to tune the antenna after install, so you can adjust the height of the screw up or down to dial in reception.

I did consider moving it to the top but honestly while wheeling and general use, that thing flips around plenty enough on the bottom so I see no reason to move it.
Sponsored