Sponsored

Anyone running the Milestar Patagonia M/T tire?

CJ7nvrstk

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 11 JKU
I had the same tires on a heavily modified/heavy weighted JKU and they measured 37 even under the jeep.

I currently have the 40s on a heavily modified JLU and they measure 39 even.

20190312_152532.jpg
Youre measuring off the crown. That's not an accurate measurement. You need to measure off the lowest POC. Looks to be about 38 & 3/8" for that "40". You are not considering the compression.

The most accurate way to measure actual diameter is to go 1/2 at the hub and multiply x2.

You're measurements are inaccurate.
Sponsored

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Method said the spacer rings are for tires that are too loose on the rim, not to fix the issue that I'm having.The shop they were at was a jeep and 4x4 shop. I just dropped them off to another shop tonight, fingers crossed!
Watching this. Keep us in the loop. Real curious what you figure out.

CJ7nvrstk

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 11 JKU
17/15 f/r PSI and still not a full contact patch. Wierd, I've never had tire's do this. 13.5" wide tire on a 9" wide wheel.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Youre measuring off the crown. That's not an accurate measurement. You need to measure off the lowest POC. Looks to be about 38 & 3/8" for that "40". You are not considering the compression.

The most accurate way to measure actual diameter is to go 1/2 at the hub and multiply x2.

You're measurements are inaccurate.
It is 100% accurate. Level across the top of the tire. The question is what does the tire measure under the jeep. Not what does a half tire multiplied by two or what does the lowest corner of a tire measure..

CJ7nvrstk

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 11 JKU
It is 100% accurate. Level across the top of the tire. The question is what does the tire measure under the jeep. Not what does a half tire multiplied by two or what does the lowest corner of a tire measure..
You're not taking into account the tire compression. That's why measuring off the crown is inaccurate to true tire height. No biggie, you measure your way, I'll measure mine. We're adults and can agree to disagree. Cheers!

Finally caught up after reading all 23 pages. At least now I see the lack of ability to get a full contact patch is common. I hadn't read that before or heard it mentioned on any of the reviews online. Thanks JLF! I'm really loving the ride on a C range tire at low PSI. The nice thing is that it's not squirrelly at this low pressure like other tire's. I still need to test my flex before wheeling these things but am looking forward to getting these on the rocks. I wish I had bought them before I went to Dirty Turtle Offroad park in KY. Oh well....

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
17/15 f/r PSI an still not a full contact patch. Wierd, I've never had tire's do this. 13.5" wide tire on a 9" wide wheel.
Are you running those pressures on the road? Honestly doesn't seem out of the realm of reasonable to do so with so much volume, that's why I ask .

I used to run 24 psi on a full-size with 37x12.50x15, rig was ~6300 lbs curb weight

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you're figuring gearing or RPM or calibrating speedo, measuring to hub center x 2 is the way to go

For actual fenderwell fitment/body or frame contact I guess the measuring to the top of the tire might make more sense. I've never really thought of doing it this way because what the engine/trans/diffs and ECU feel is static loaded radius x 2

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Oh and my 38's came in, here my lab pitty inspects. I still wanna try 'em on the stock 7.5 alloys....I used to run the aforementioned 37's on 15x7s intentionally

IMG_20190613_094830649_HDR.jpg

CJ7nvrstk

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 11 JKU
Are you running those pressures on the road? Honestly doesn't seem out of the realm of reasonable to do so with so much volume, that's why I ask .

I used to run 24 psi on a full-size with 37x12.50x15, rig was ~6300 lbs curb weight
Yes, road pressure.

If you're figuring gearing or RPM or calibrating speedo, measuring to hub center x 2 is the way to go

For actual fenderwell fitment/body or frame contact I guess the measuring to the top of the tire might make more sense. I've never really thought of doing it this way because what the engine/trans/diffs and ECU feel is static loaded radius x 2
I agree. Posted that up a few posts ago. Well half of it at least.

Oh and my 38's came in, here my lab pitty inspects. I still wanna try 'em on the stock 7.5 alloys....I used to run the aforementioned 37's on 15x7s intentionally

IMG_20190613_094830649_HDR.jpg
Nice. "Poor man's" beadlocks. Post pics when you get them mounted.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
WYcZi2.jpg
WY7gNF.jpg
WY7Ir7.jpg
Just installed my 38" 13.5 patagonias, no lift, running @fifteen52 17 x 8.5" traverse HD (asphalt black).

I have my 5 stock rubicon wheels in the back in this picture so hopefully once they're out I'll be less prone to bottoming out. Will find out tonight! It's not terrible but going up my working parking garage or rough roads it does hit. I HAD to cut out the plastic in the rear fender wells. No way around it with the added weight.

I'm not too concerned my lift will be on in a month and I won't offroad till then.

edit: I only have problems hitting fenders in very specific spots. I can pretty much avoid all bang noises.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My friend who sent me that pic I posted with the chalk test at 24 psi with the outer lugs not fully making contact is also running a 17Ă—9 with a 37/12.50/17 milestar on his 4 door. He started with them at 30 psi and said they rode rough and said 24 psi made the ride better.
Milestar recommends 10” rim for 37s and 38s. 9” rim will make it difficult to have the tire patch flat.

https://www.milestartires.com/light-truck-tires/patagonia-mt/

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Milestar recommends 10” rim for 37s and 38s. 9” rim will make it difficult to have the tire patch flat.

https://www.milestartires.com/light-truck-tires/patagonia-mt/
That's silly...tire MFG's know most people don't run 10" wheels and other tire brands dont require a 10" wheel to get full contact. Seems more likely that the tires arent designed to have full contact...there are numerous examples of people doing chalk tests on the milestar's with 9" wheels at 25 psi and the outer lugs aren't touching the road.

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
That's silly...tire MFG's know most people don't run 10" wheels and other tire brands dont require a 10" wheel to get full contact. Seems more likely that the tires arent designed to have full contact...there are numerous examples of people doing chalk tests on the milestar's with 9" wheels at 25 psi and the outer lugs aren't touching the road.
I agree! I have 8.5” wide rims and have no issues at 30 psi. I don’t think the outside of the outside lugs are designed to touch. Just trying to help with what milestar lists.