Wife's new 2019 JL Sahara

Zimmerer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Altitude, 2018 Ram 1500
Looking for a quality 3" lift that provides a good ride. She will mostly be doing each and highway driving. If you can post a photo with the lift and tire size so she can gauge. Thank you.

20190611_145042.jpg

20190611_161053.jpg
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I have a 2" with 34's on mine. I'll post photos and details if you're interested, but I know you're looking for 3" so I won't clutter the thread with my photos if you're not.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Lifts can go from mild to wild. For example, fox just released some 3.0s and they are knocking on 5k for a set. We personally run the metalcloak 3.5 game changer with rocksport shocks. When I say it rides better than stock, it’s 100% true and unbiased statement. I obviously can feel the difference but we’ve taken several customers in back to back trips over the same route and roads in my MC Jeep and them my wife’s stock rubicon and the passengers are always impressed. A less expensive option is the true dual rate which only has new upper control arms vs all 8. Very happy with MC but that can be said for most top tier lifts. If you want a good ride, I stay away from Tereflex. Lots of happy customers but we haven’t been impressed with the comfort of the ride. It’s all subjective but that’s our opinion. Love the look of the falcon shocks but are way to harsh for us.

Brett

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, I'd say $5K is pretty wild, considering my lift was only $314. Of course the cheap lifts are intended for daily driving, and the extreme kits are for those who intend to do some serious off roading. That and shorter lifts tend to be cheaper than taller ones too because more stuff has to be replaced.
Picking a lift definitely matters on how you intend to use your Jeep and your budget. Mild to wild is a great way to put it.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Rancho has a 3.5" lift and you should order with the RS 9000 Shocks as they are adjustable, this allows you to select the stiffness of the ride from soft to firm, also helps when towing. Preserve comfort was important to me as well. Rancho has one of the softest rides for a 3" lift. Perfect for the mall crawler who want a little extra lift however you can dial it in for more firm hardcore offroad use if you like (Takes like 2 minutes).

Here is a thread about the Rancho Lift (note this was started prior to the release of the RS 9000 shocks) Also this lift is designed specifically for Sports and Saharas

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...pension-system-for-the-non-rubicon-jlu.11758/

It is also very affordable at $740
http://www.gorancho.com/products/su...ension-system-rs9000xl-shocks-rs66124br9.html

Here it is on my Sahara with 35's (note: fuel was near empty in this pic so rear is a little higher than normal)

Jeep%20Columbia%201_zpsjypvdqew.jpg

Fuel tank full

mirrors%204_zpsvkik7ier.jpg

Lift with hardtop on
rocker%20side%20view_zpsacghhjjf.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zimmerer

Zimmerer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2" with 34's on mine. I'll post photos and details if you're interested, but I know you're looking for 3" so I won't clutter the thread with my photos if you're not.
Thank you. We would like to see what yours looks like with the 2" and 34's.

OP
OP
Zimmerer

Zimmerer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rancho has a 3.5" lift and you should order with the RS 9000 Shocks as they are adjustable, this allows you to select the stiffness of the ride from soft to firm, also helps when towing. Preserve comfort was important to me as well. Rancho has one of the softest rides for a 3" lift. Perfect for the mall crawler who want a little extra lift however you can dial it in for more firm hardcore offroad use if you like (Takes like 2 minutes).

Here is a thread about the Rancho Lift (note this was started prior to the release of the RS 9000 shocks) Also this lift is designed specifically for Sports and Saharas

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...pension-system-for-the-non-rubicon-jlu.11758/

It is also very affordable at $740
http://www.gorancho.com/products/su...ension-system-rs9000xl-shocks-rs66124br9.html

Here it is on my Sahara with 35's (note: fuel was near empty in this pic so rear is a little higher than normal)

Jeep%20Columbia%201_zpsjypvdqew.jpg

Fuel tank full

mirrors%204_zpsvkik7ier.jpg

Lift with hardtop on
rocker%20side%20view_zpsacghhjjf.jpg

Looks nice. Did you have to use spacers with those tires?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
No they have a 4.7 back space by default, you could get by with as much as a 5.0 backspace. You could even use a 5.7" back space assuming you did not plan to disconnect sway bars links, even then just a little rubbin

Here is 2" spacer vs 3.5 rancho

Here is the before and after. (as those were 5.7 backspace I ended up switching wheels to a 4.7 (see the 1st picture I posted above)

Before With 2" Spacer Lift
Steps%20Wheels%20Chrome_zps683dvhie.jpg

After with Rancho 3.5" Lift
rancho-lift_zps4gwb5trm.jpg

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
If I was to lift I would go with the Mopar lift, for the money its hard to beat. My god i forgot how much I love white jeeps

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If I was to lift I would go with the Mopar lift, for the money its hard to beat. My god i forgot how much I love white jeeps
I almost pulled the trigger on the Mopar lift however the Fox Shocks are pretty stiff. It was more important for me anyway to preserve the Sahara ride as much as possible. The Rancho adjustable Shocks allow me to ride soft or stiff that was a feature that sold me. I also wanted progressive springs which Mopar does not have. Mopar is a great lift though a little on the pricey side. The lift was the hardest choice of any mod i have done or contemplated, I must have called 5-6 major off road retailers and 4 of the manufactures to discuss ride quality. Aside from the competative manufactures I discussed with it all seemed pointed to Rancho for the softest ride. There was also great advice here on the forums however at that time 3" lift options were limited and I did not want to do a 2.5" lift since I was already unhappy with the 2" spacer lift I originally installed.

To highlight a story about Rancho. Since I had an aftermarket bumper, winch and tow bar (180lbs) my front was about 1" lower than the back, I reached out to Rancho and at 100% their expense they had a local dealer add a 3/4 front coil spacer and spring isolator, they even paid for the labor, this was all volunteered by them i did not have to ask. Amazing customer support. with that said I am a fanboy but also realistic.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
..... It was more important for me anyway to preserve the Sahara ride as much as possible. ..... The lift was the hardest choice of any mod i have done or contemplated, I must have called 5-6 major off road retailers and 4 of the manufactures to discuss ride quality. ....
I agree with both. My main goal was to retain the comfortable ride that I originally had. For me, the lift was purely cosmetic so I didn't need/want stiffer springs. Like you, I did tons of research before buying the lift. A lot of my findings were added to a thread here on the forum (aftermarket lift cadence, here → link) where I discussed/documented the process.

Thank you. We would like to see what yours looks like with the 2" and 34's.
I ended up getting a Daystar 2" spacer kit (install/review thread, here → link). It's dirt cheap because you keep your stock springs/struts. By doing that you also keep your stock ride. This was my primary goal. One of the other appeals to the Daystar kit is that it also replaced the LCA's which corrects the caster angle that is reduced with a lift. It's not conclusive, but my research suggested that the decreased caster angle contributed to the wandering that some JL owners have complained about. I didn't want to risk it so I made correcting caster a priority along with a comfortable ride.
As it is, my Jeep rides exactly the same as it did when they took it off the truck. I couldn't be happier with my choice. My Jeep is no more capable than it was the day it was made, but that's okay because I didn't need it to be. If you plan to be more extreme, I'd recommend a different kit, since mine is basically a stock suspension.

As for the look. It's 2" with 285/75/17 (33.8") tires on stock Rubicon rims. No wheel spacer, no rubbing. As noted I haven't done any serious off roading, but I've had no issues on light trails.

19-5-4-3-resize-jpg.jpg

Here's a driveway shot, more straight on at the side.
19-5-4-km2-13-resize-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
Zimmerer

Zimmerer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I almost pulled the trigger on the Mopar lift however the Fox Shocks are pretty stiff. It was more important for me anyway to preserve the Sahara ride as much as possible. The Rancho adjustable Shocks allow me to ride soft or stiff that was a feature that sold me. I also wanted progressive springs which Mopar does not have. Mopar is a great lift though a little on the pricey side. The lift was the hardest choice of any mod i have done or contemplated, I must have called 5-6 major off road retailers and 4 of the manufactures to discuss ride quality. Aside from the competative manufactures I discussed with it all seemed pointed to Rancho for the softest ride. There was also great advice here on the forums however at that time 3" lift options were limited and I did not want to do a 2.5" lift since I was already unhappy with the 2" spacer lift I originally installed.

To highlight a story about Rancho. Since I had an aftermarket bumper, winch and tow bar (180lbs) my front was about 1" lower than the back, I reached out to Rancho and at 100% their expense they had a local dealer add a 3/4 front coil spacer and spring isolator, they even paid for the labor, this was all volunteered by them i did not have to ask. Amazing customer support. with that said I am a fanboy but also realistic.
I've seen alot of people saying the Mopar lift was a rougher ride and pricey . I seem to like BDS and Skyjacker 2.5". As for the wheels, I'm going to keep the stock ones with 35 x 12.5 x 18 BFG's AT

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for a quality 3" lift that provides a good ride. She will mostly be doing each and highway driving. If you can post a photo with the lift and tire size so she can gauge. Thank you.

20190611_145042.jpg

20190611_161053.jpg
I did a 2.5 JKS Lift w/ Fox Shocks. Mopar Wheels and Toyo 35s. The ride is smoother then stock. You can get an idea of what this lift will give you:
jeep2.5lift.jpg

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
The metal cloak lift looks great (I'm sure the game changer lift is a great performer -- the specs are impressive), but there is more to install and it's more expensive. For me, considering my use case -- I don't think the additional cost/complication is worth it. Overall, the Currie lift will give me another 2.5" of clearance giving me plenty of room for the 37's (Cooper MAXX), allow a proper alignment, and the johnny joints are second to none.

The stock JL Rubi went about everywhere except a few trails where I didn't have enough tire size/clearance. I don't think there will be a trail that I will run into in Moab where the Metal Cloak would have gotten me through vs the Currie lift, but we'll see =) $2300 with the Fox IPF shocks (didn't think it was necessary to add uppers or do the sway bars)... I think that's a good middle ground between what Mopar sells and what Metal Cloak sells.

Overall build is (on a '19 Rubi Unl)
- Currie 2.5" Lift w/ Johnny joints, lower adj arms, spring isolators, dual rate springs, bump stops, heim style end links for swaybars.
- Fox IPF shocks
- AEV Borah Beadlocks in Onyx (w/ silver beadlock rings)
- 37x12.50R17 Cooper STT Maxx
- Warn winch (zeon platinum 10s)

I might add some evo rock sliders, but the stock rubicon rock rails and stock skid plates have served me quite well thus far in Moab. So kind of on the fence. Don't have anything else planned except a shorty antenna and a couple of grab handles (wife can't reach the built-in).
Sponsored

Last edited: