Sponsored

Selec-Trac full time 4x4 4WD system discussions

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M
The Selec-Trac full time 4x4 is a nice surprise!

Only downside is you can't use a front auto locking differential with it.
They could use electronic differentials like they on the Quadra-Drive XK and WK. In those, there was full-time 4WD but with front + rear limited slip differentials that could fully lock when necessary.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
So Selec-Trac allows you to use 4x4 on dry pavement? Does it not cause axle binding / bind up?

theboom

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 rubicon
So I was reading up on the optional select trac transfer case for the Sahara and I saw that it was an electronic shift on the fly system. I thought that people would be up in arms with this as it's more of a casual off road t-case due to it working with clutches and not a chain system; in comparison to the standard t-case. Just curious to see why everyone seems to be excited for it.
Same, is this system not bad off road? You know slipping constantly and building up heat?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
So Selec-Trac allows you to use 4x4 on dry pavement? Does it not cause axle binding / bind up?
Yes, it can be used on dry pavement. No binding, the transfer case connection stays open on these, like a non LSD axle, while in full time mode. You can still select "part time" 4WD, locking the T-case. In this age of electronic traction control, Select-Trac is a VERY good solution to winter driving. I say that because with an open T-case and open differentials, all power can end up going to just one wheel (bad), but with traction control, the system will stop any run-away spinning wheel and balance drive power to other wheels (good).

The Select-Trac system is really the best system for highway or local driving in snow and ice. Since the T-case is an open diff, it allows all wheels to spin at different speeds. With a locked T-case, the wheels of the each axle aren't able to spin independently, so you are are basically in a controlled slide on every corner.

Sponsored

theboom

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 rubicon
Yes, it can be used on dry pavement. No binding, the transfer case connection stays open on these, like a non LSD axle, while in full time mode. You can still select "part time" 4WD, locking the T-case. In this age of electronic traction control, Select-Trac is a VERY good solution to winter driving. I say that because with an open T-case and open differentials, all power can end up going to just one wheel (bad), but with traction control, the system will stop any run-away spinning wheel and balance drive power to other wheels (good).

The Select-Trac system is really the best system for highway or local driving in snow and ice. Since the T-case is an open diff, it allows all wheels to spin at different speeds. With a locked T-case, the wheels of the each axle aren't able to spin independently, so you are are basically in a controlled slide on every corner.
I just want to know if in 4low is it fully locked up, no slipping, gear to gear contact like the current 4x4 system is?

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
So I was reading up on the optional select trac transfer case for the Sahara and I saw that it was an electronic shift on the fly system. I thought that people would be up in arms with this as it's more of a casual off road t-case due to it working with clutches and not a chain system; in comparison to the standard t-case. Just curious to see why everyone seems to be excited for it.
Lol, people are gonna be people.

I'm curious to see how this new Selec-Trac Full Time 4wd will compare to the part time Selec-Tracs in the past. If I am not mistaken, this is their first time with a true FT4wd since the 70s and 80s with the old Quadra Tracs

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I just want to know if in 4low is it fully locked up, no slipping, gear to gear contact like the current 4x4 system is?
Yes. In 4L the T-case is locked up. But I'm pretty sure it's chain drive to the front axle, not gear to gear.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, people are gonna be people.

I'm curious to see how this new Selec-Trac Full Time 4wd will compare to the part time Selec-Tracs in the past. If I am not mistaken, this is their first time with a true FT4wd since the 70s and 80s with the old Quadra Tracs
I had a 2005 Liberty Limited CRD with Select-Trac...

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
I had a 2005 Liberty Limited CRD with Select-Trac...
Right, but isn't your Selec-Trac a part time system since it can be switched between 2wd and 4wd?

If i'm not mistaken, full time 4wd has it so that the only switch is between 4wd LO and 4wd HI.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Right, but isn't your Selec-Trac a part time system since it can be switched between 2wd and 4wd?

If i'm not mistaken, full time 4wd has it so that the only switch is between 4wd LO and 4wd HI.
Yes and no...

The Select-Trac in my Liberty had 2Hi, PT4Hi, FT4Hi, and 4L.

My current WK has full time 4WD, with a little cheesy swith to go into Neuter (sic) or 4L.

26e5d0b2-e4f1-4c10-b104-963e4bf21e45.jpg

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Yes and no...

The Select-Trac in my Liberty had 2Hi, PT4Hi, FT4Hi, and 4L.

My current WK has full time 4WD, with a little cheesy swith to go into Neuter (sic) or 4L.
Ya, see how your Liberty has Selec Trac (part time 4wd), but your WK Grand Cherokee has full time 4wd (Quadra Trac). Nominally, they are different. I'm no Jeep engineer, but I wonder what differences are between the two.

And now that the new JL Wrangler has Selec Trac FULL TIME 4wd, which seems to be a combination of both(?) and even more different than the past, maybe it'll be the best full time 4wd system yet? Something really good like the Land Cruisers...

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Ya, see how your Liberty has Selec Trac (part time 4wd), but your WK Grand Cherokee has full time 4wd (Quadra Trac). Nominally, they are different. I'm no Jeep engineer, but I wonder what differences are between the two.

And now that the new JL Wrangler has Selec Trac FULL TIME 4wd, which seems to be a combination of both(?) and even more different than the past, maybe it'll be the best full time 4wd system yet? Something really good like the Land Cruisers...
My understanding is that it'll be Select-trac, like the Liberty, with Full time 4Hi mode, as well as Part time 4Hi. Ya, I'm going with that...

theboom

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 rubicon
Yes. In 4L the T-case is locked up. But I'm pretty sure it's chain drive to the front axle, not gear to gear.
Hmmmm... don't know how I feel about the chain drive. That's not how it is now is it? I didn't think it was? What are your thoughts on it? Speaking about real off roading here.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmm... don't know how I feel about the chain drive. That's not how it is now is it? I didn't think it was? What are your thoughts on it? Speaking about real off roading here.
Hmmm, it's possible they all use a chain drive... Anyone want to weigh in further? Edit: nevermind.

nv242_1.jpg

rock-trac-cutaway.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: