Hardtop Drilling for Maximus 3 Roof Rack

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I ordered the Maximus 3 Pioneer platform roof rack and will be drilling into my hardtop as soon as it gets delivered. My question for those who have installed this roof rack or for anyone that has drilled into their hardtop:

1. What drill bits did you use, and did you start with a smaller pilot hole and move up in size?
and
2. The roof rack comes with stencils to use on outside of the rack but wouldn't it be more accurate to install the mounting hardware mounts on the roll cage inside the jeep with the hardtop still on and mark the drill holes using the hardware and then remove the hardtop and drill? Stencils are only as good as the person lining them up but i figure if i start from the installed hardware brackets you cant miss, right?

Im a little nervous drilling into the hardtop so im trying to make sure i dont have to re-drill and patch unnecessary holes. Any advice would help.
Sponsored

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
I will be installing my rack this Sat, and I was thinking the same way originally. However, after I re-read the install guide a few times, I think the way the brackets allow some room for minor adjustment before you tight up the bolts, means drilling base on the bracket for accurate position would be difficult.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've used several stencils for different racks and when you follow the instructions and POSITION THE STENCILS as shown--no trouble--

Be sure and use some silicon around the attachment bolts/holes-AFTER FITTING--TO INSURE NO LEAK--it works-

Yes always use a smaller drill for exact hole position-

Good luck

JIMBO

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I will be installing my rack this Sat, and I was thinking the same way originally. However, after I re-read the install guide a few times, I think the way the brackets allow some room for minor adjustment before you tight up the bolts, means drilling base on the bracket for accurate position would be difficult.
Let us know how it turns out! Send pictures

HotKarlTheJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I didn't get a stencil when I installed the maximus three rack. The instructions tell you how far and from were to measure. You do install the rollbar pieces first, but you won't want to mark it from the inside. After I measured and drilled, the feet of the rack lined up perfectly with the holes. However the brackets inside had to be kind of pushed outward as they wanted to lean in a bit. It's not hard, but to get the bolts to go through and line up they had to be under tension.

tl;dr: If you mark from inside, it wont match up with where the feet on the rack sit.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Ya. I didn’t,t get no stencils! I used a ruler! It’s actually quite easy. I used regular drill bits and did a half size smaller and the went up to correct size.

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Thanks guys, this helps, just put the platform together. Next is the measure 10 time and then drill lol.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys, this helps, just put the platform together. Next is the measure 10 time and then drill lol.
Ya, don't sweat it man. Its not that hard. I just lined up the rear holes, placed assembled rack on top of hard top and then got on a ladder to give it the good ol EYE alignment. Looked straight as can be and marked the front holes and drilled the sucker. The brackets give enough alignment its forgiving. I didn't even remove Hard Top.

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Ya, don't sweat it man. Its not that hard. I just lined up the rear holes, placed assembled rack on top of hard top and then got on a ladder to give it the good ol EYE alignment. Looked straight as can be and marked the front holes and drilled the sucker. The brackets give enough alignment its forgiving. I didn't even remove Hard Top.
Thats good! Should be easier if i dont have to remove the top too.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Thats good! Should be easier if i dont have to remove the top too.
Just have someone help you move it around. I didn't and kind of scratched the hard top. But mine isn't painted so wasn't a big deal.

Sponsored

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you haven't installed it yet, take your top off and line the platform feet up with the brackets. Also make sure your platform is properly marked front/rear (mine had the stickers reversed from Rhino Rack)

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
If you haven't installed it yet, take your top off and line the platform feet up with the brackets. Also make sure your platform is properly marked front/rear (mine had the stickers reversed from Rhino Rack)
Just finished installing it last night. Two of the holes didnt line up by a hair so i just had to widen the holes by a couple of millimeters and it all went in good. Measuring is the tricky part. I plan on removing the bolts this weekend one at a time and using some silicone to better weather proof the holes because im not too confident in the rubber washers. Thanks for all the help everyone!

irgu87

First Name
Irvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2021 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Just finished installing it last night. Two of the holes didnt line up by a hair so i just had to widen the holes by a couple of millimeters and it all went in good. Measuring is the tricky part. I plan on removing the bolts this weekend one at a time and using some silicone to better weather proof the holes because im not too confident in the rubber washers. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Are you planning on attaching a roof top tent to your rack? I'm wondering what the spacing looks like between the jeep roof and the rack. Not sure if theres enough space to get the roof top tent brackets fitted properly after installing the maximus rack.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
Are you planning on attaching a roof top tent to your rack? I'm wondering what the spacing looks like between the jeep roof and the rack. Not sure if theres enough space to get the roof top tent brackets fitted properly after installing the maximus rack.
I just installed mine. Its tight! but you should be able to do it with some good tools. The low profile look is "worth"

irgu87

First Name
Irvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2021 Wrangler Rubicon JL
I just installed mine. Its tight! but you should be able to do it with some good tools. The low profile look is "worth"
Awesome, that's what i wanted to hear! thanks!
Sponsored