jhmartin

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Clubs

Is there a way to activate the garage door opener with the ignition off? When the doors are closed I have to turn on the jeep in an enclosed room and then open the garage door, seems bad practice. Standalone openers manage to run for years on a single set of batteries so I wouldn't think it'd be a power issue.
Sponsored

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Is there a way to activate the garage door opener with the ignition off? When the doors are closed I have to turn on the jeep in an enclosed room and then open the garage door, seems bad practice. Standalone openers manage to run for years on a single set of batteries so I wouldn't think it'd be a power issue.
Very good question. I've been wondering this myself and don't quite get it.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
The homelink is not powered unless ignition is on. Simple solution is to push start button twice (acc then ON) without putting your foot on the brake. Voila... you're able to open the door. THEN put foot on brake and press start button again and off you go. Simple enough solution.

When pulling into garage I park the jeep, push the garage door button, then shut off.

Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD

DennisJB

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU

DennisJB

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
If you remove the plastic cover above the drivers door area (two torx screws) you will find the plug for the opener and visor vanity mirror light, The wire for the garage door opener is gray in color. If you cut it and splice it into the yellow power wire (for mirror light) then the garage door opener will work with key off or on. Note that garage door opener buttons will be lit all the time but is very minuet.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Does it work in ACC mode? In that case you could probably just tap acc with your foot off the pedal, yea?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I think it is because if you weren’t home say out with wife buddies etc. and your jeep was home like in my case a rag top. It would be pretty easy to break into the jeep and open the garage door. And steal what they want. I did not realize you couldn’t use the garage door open or unless the jeep was on so I never activated mine. Now I will. Thanks

Sponsored

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If you remove the plastic cover above the drivers door area (two torx screws) you will find the plug for the opener and visor vanity mirror light, The wire for the garage door opener is gray in color. If you cut it and splice it into the yellow power wire (for mirror light) then the garage door opener will work with key off or on. Note that garage door opener buttons will be lit all the time but is very minuet.
I know it’s a small amount of power, but how would that affect the battery if the light is always on?

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Providing an update ... my husband (much better with electrical than I ever will be! lol) did follow this recommendation and the garage door opener now works.

It is possible to upgrade your visor to the visor with Homelink. Even though the wiring from the Jeep and the wiring from the visor have three wires each, don't be fooled. Homelink still needs a power source.

txbd75k

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Providing an update ... my husband (much better with electrical than I ever will be! lol) did follow this recommendation and the garage door opener now works.

It is possible to upgrade your visor to the visor with Homelink. Even though the wiring from the Jeep and the wiring from the visor have three wires each, don't be fooled. Homelink still needs a power source.
Thanks for the great advice! I just:
- took out the four T20 Torx screws that held the plastic shell over the driver's door
- saw the small wiring harness you talked about, found the grey wire and clipped it
- attached the grey wire to the yellow wired and tested it - FAIL!
- Then I quickly realized I had attached the wrong side of the grey wire! You need to attach the grey wire coming out of the plastic connector! I switched wires and Voila - worked perfectly!
Gladiator Visor Controls Harness (Small).jpg

- I'm old school, so I soldered the wires together and wrapped in electrical tape.

Thanks for the help - took about 15 minutes!

My truck is always in my garage, so I'm not worried about the security issue. Also, now that I had fun with this and saw all the room in the shell, I may just add a hidden switch to let me switch between my new setup and the original setup.

Also, I now have a 12v power source (the other side of the grey wire) that could power another accessory! Hmmm....

Thanks again!

Thanks for your posting!!!

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
I think this is for security reasons because if your car is home, but you are not, then it might be pretty easy to break in. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't trust these kinds of systems. I have a belt drive garage door opener installed by the guys from Garage door services in Okotoks and so far I didn't have any issues with it. Mine it's a smartphone-controlled garage door opener, so I don't have to use a button or a remote. It's easy for me and it's safe, so I stick to this option.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I think this is for security reasons because if your car is home, but you are not, then it might be pretty easy to break in. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't trust these kinds of systems.
but if your car is home that means you are out in your jeep so its not an issue ;) :CWL:
Sponsored