First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara. 2023 JLURXR
Occupation
Insurance
lots of good reviews on the badlands winches. never owned one but i would not have a problem trying one for the price
Sponsored

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Just checking to see if anyone has had any luck with adding a Harbor Frieght Winch on their JL steel bumper, if so, which steel plate was successful. I have found myself with a free winch (neighbor was cleaning up) and I wasn't sure if it was worth the attempt to add it to the Jeep or use it for another purpose.

I tried the Spartacus rugged ridge winch plate. When it said I need to cut off part of the frame, I stopped. No way I'm cutting off frame structural points. Ended up with Rusty's winch plate. Worked fine.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
How much to spend on stuff is such a personal choice and lots of things factor into the decision. Since I don't know or even want to know your financial resources, I don't think I can help there. But, regarding usage, if you don't even envision when you might use a winch, you don't go very remote places where there is low probability of seeing another off-roader, or the towing company can get their tow trucks into the mall parking lot (LOL, just kiddin), maybe a HF is OK for you.

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
I have the badlands 12k changed it over to synthetic rope. I’ve had tons of winches lots of warns ect. The badlands have always been amazing and worked great. You can also get a two year warranty on them.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I have the badlands 12k changed it over to synthetic rope. I’ve had tons of winches lots of warns ect. The badlands have always been amazing and worked great. You can also get a two year warranty on them.
You have it on a JL with stock steel bumper? What plate did you use?

Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I’m thinking the Badland might be a problem mounting it on the stock steel bumper because I don’t see pictures of it on a JL anywhere that has the stock bumper.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Badlands has a new Apex 12k winch with syn rope. I intend to buy and place it on my JL. The winch looks great and was built to compete with Warn. I use a lot of Harbor Freight and have had great experiences with them including badland. They have really stepped up their game the last 5 years. The old chicago electric wasn't so good, the new stuff is decent for the average joe working at home.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Badlands has a new Apex 12k winch with syn rope. I intend to buy and place it on my JL. The winch looks great and was built to compete with Warn. I use a lot of Harbor Freight and have had great experiences with them including badland. They have really stepped up their game the last 5 years. The old chicago electric wasn't so good, the new stuff is decent for the average joe working at home.
Yes that’s what I want. But don’t anyone that has successfully installed it on a JL with the Stock Steel Bumper.

Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Wait, I thought that’s what I wanted but it’s not. That ones $800. Why not just get a Warn then?

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
That is Nice Though!!! I guess the Warn equivalent would be around $1,500 Wouldn’t want to buy this and find out it doesn’t fit the Rubicon JL

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Ok I think I want this thing!!! Looks way better than the other 12000 Winch. It’s currently on sale https://go.harborfreight.com/coupon...oO5pIt6d5IXssV4FYLWFgwdneOqmCalcp7MuzkBXQkUfQ