Sponsored

35" and 37" JL pics with lift kit

VJ Smedlo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Copperhead AEV JKU, 2017 Chief JKU, 2018 Mojito! JLUR
Are you adding spacers for more visual effect or for little more clearance?
I’m adding spacers for a wider stance— and to approximate the feel of the AEV wheels I had on there this weekend, which have 1.75” more backspacing than the stock wheels. I suppose they’ll help with front wheel clearance at maximum steering travel as well.
Sponsored

VJ Smedlo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Copperhead AEV JKU, 2017 Chief JKU, 2018 Mojito! JLUR
Here’s AEV’s response to my predicament and proposed (silly) solutions:

Case Subject: Won’t fit on JL

Update Date: 2/12/2018 2:01:50 PM EST

Comments from American Expedition Vehicles Support:

We are currently working on JL-specific wheels and so do not have a solution for what you are running into. While the JK wheels have the same bolt pattern and will physically bolt to the JL, the offset and backspacing requirements are different between the two, so we will be developing wheels specifically for the JL. In the meantime, between the option of machining the wheel or reducing the camera shaft diameter, I'd advise against machining the wheels as that would compromise the structure of the wheels. I don't know how reducing the shaft diameter could compromise the integrity of the part so that would be at your discretion.

matchews

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Okay. Home now. Wheel off. That taper ends 1.2” away from the face of the carrier. The studs are 1.5” long. With the wheel in place, you have about 1” of thread engagement inside the nut. But wait, there’s more. There appears to be provisions for longer studs. See photo from inside the tire carrier. It looks like an easily-removable retainer plate holds those studs in place.

A9B0AA27-D9CF-4A09-BFA7-B43F618BA11F.jpeg

020ADC72-4108-43DE-8A1A-6BBA21BB05BA.jpeg
Looks promising! Thanks for the pictures and dimensions!

ijeep2

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU Rubicon (Sand Spider) and 2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (RedCat)
The bittersweet deal is AEV will be the last to the table on JL specific wheels and lifts, but in my opinion and usage one of the best. I love the look of the Salta wheels so I will probably use them until a JL specific wheel comes out. In my correspondence to them, them would not say specifically that they were even making a Salta wheel for the JL. The spare tire does not sit directly on the camera "shaft" so I don't think machining that area would affect the integrity of the carrier, however I do like the plate option with longer bolts. I ordered the Heavy Duty tire carrier reinforcement and relocation pieces from Mopar, but it hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know if that option has any affect on the camera shaft.

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Will 35’s fit on the Stock Rubicon Rear Bumper without any modification? Anyone have it done?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Will 35’s fit on the Stock Rubicon Rear Bumper without any modification? Anyone have it done?
Mine does...barely. the bumper lip actually slightly supports the tire. I'm good with that. Mine are 315/70/17 load range Cp BFG KO2s. 37lbs of pressure in the spare.

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Mine does...barely. the bumper lip actually slightly supports the tire. I'm good with that. Mine are 315/70/17 load range Cp BFG KO2s. 37lbs of pressure in the spare.
Thanks! That converts to 34.4inches will that .5 inch force me to get a modified tire carrier? Really hoping I don’t have to.

Penance81

First Name
Tillman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep JL.jpg
Jeep JL2.jpg
Jeep JL3.jpg
Jeep JL4.jpg

2" Mopar Lift 37x13.5 x18 Toyo Tires, 18x10 Moto Wheels
Thanks to Dave Doetsch at Doetsch off Road Chandler Arizona
What did you go with to fit the spare? Wheel spacer on the carrier?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! That converts to 34.4inches will that .5 inch force me to get a modified tire carrier? Really hoping I don’t have to.
I'm not getting one. If I let about 6 or 7 psi out of it, it might not touch. Right now, i actually like it touching, as it gives a little support. Most 35s aren't actually a true measured 35 inches. YMMV.

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Jeep JL.jpg
Jeep JL2.jpg
Jeep JL3.jpg
Jeep JL4.jpg

Looks great neighbor!!! Did you sell your white Jeep or trade it in?

mbuck45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Got 37's, definitely looks much more proportionate with the bigger tires and I'm more comfortable with the amount of ground clearance I have now. I will post pics tomorrow. billmill57 what size spacer did you use? Any concerns with the added weight on the stock tailgate?

OP
OP
ZeeCutt

ZeeCutt

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLUR
Jeep JL.jpg
Jeep JL2.jpg
Jeep JL3.jpg
Jeep JL4.jpg

Looks freaking awesome, you ordered the same color as me and you are doing the same set up that i am (2" Mopar and 37's), very cool to see it come to life, congrats and thanks for sharing!
Sponsored