Anybody else in Pa. Running doorless ?

Hound

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport jl
Different cops say it's not something they worry about and some don't know the house bill was passed so that we could join every other state and have the choice to go door less.
Just thought I'd ask to if people are still getting pulled over for something so stupid.
Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
5E884ED9-018E-44D3-B314-127DB0B409C5.jpeg
Yeah, I leave the doors at home on occasion. I haven’t been pulled over for it *yet.*

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Different cops say it's not something they worry about and some don't know the house bill was passed so that we could join every other state and have the choice to go door less.
Just thought I'd ask to if people are still getting pulled over for something so stupid.
Did the bill pass?

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
The last I saw was that it did not pass last year and would have to be reintroduced this year. Other than that, locally I see a few people go doorless. Local PD said they wouldn't pull me over if I did but couldn't say what PD in other municipalities would do or state police.

OP
OP
Hound

Hound

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport jl

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hound

Hound

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport jl
That's what the state police said to me . some will some won't . but as soon as I started talking house bills passing and showed him the copy on my phone. And mentioned the state rep. his story was he couldn't keep up with all the amendments.
I left him thinking shouldn't you know the laws your paid to enforce? Then I got back in the jeep and drove away .

OP
OP
Hound

Hound

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport jl
Digger if you read the one I posted under who presented it it says it was amended .

PRIOR PRINTER'S NO. 1133
PRINTER'S NO. 4048
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF PENNSYLVANIA
HOUSE BILL
No.
Session of
INTRODUCED BY MASSER, METZGAR, MILLARD, MALONEY, MULLERY,
LAWRENCE, SANKEY, GROVE, ZIMMERMAN, HEFFLEY AND FARRY,
MARCH 27, 2017
AS REPORTED FROM COMMITTEE ON TRANSPORTATION, HOUSE OF
REPRESENTATIVES, AS AMENDED,
And that it would take affect in 180 days. Unless I read it wrong. I keep a copy of it on my phone just in case I get pulled over .

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Digger if you read the one I posted under who presented it it says it was amended .

PRIOR PRINTER'S NO. 1133
PRINTER'S NO. 4048
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF PENNSYLVANIA
HOUSE BILL
No.
Session of
INTRODUCED BY MASSER, METZGAR, MILLARD, MALONEY, MULLERY,
LAWRENCE, SANKEY, GROVE, ZIMMERMAN, HEFFLEY AND FARRY,
MARCH 27, 2017
AS REPORTED FROM COMMITTEE ON TRANSPORTATION, HOUSE OF
REPRESENTATIVES, AS AMENDED,
And that it would take affect in 180 days. Unless I read it wrong. I keep a copy of it on my phone just in case I get pulled over .
Good. Maybe I misunderstood. It was laid on the table, given first consideration then amended.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
A bill is not yet law. Since it was a committee bill and amended and subsequently tabled, it just means the bill was killed by the committee chairman.
Now... if you have a copy of a state statute, you can argue your way out of a ticket.
The Jeep people of Pennsylvania need to have a Jeep jamboree at the capital during the legislative session.

Sponsored

TrassaE95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Porsche Macan
I was pulled over in Castle Shannon Boro yesterday (southern suburb of Pittsburgh) for running doorless. The bill has not been passed yet. I was given a written warning. I looked up the bill, and it is stagnant in the house right now:

https://openstates.org/pa/bills/2017-2018/HB976/

Unfortunately, I don't see any movement on this, and cannot ride doorless anymore. The cop was a stickler, and I drive through there often.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
A few were pulled over and cited in Bethlehem a couple of weeks ago at a Jeep/Truck specific event. I had the doors on that day, but I do run tube doors when there's a few warm weekend days in a row. I know that Bethlehem Township has also pulled over doorless folks this season. There is no confusion, the code is clear but until recently it's been selectively enforced (like window tint, bumper height and other MV codes)

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Does anybody know the new bill number for 2020? The 2019 proposed bill by Masser stalled, as we know, and I thought I found the new bill number (might be under a different representative now, too) but now I've lost it.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
If there is no documented law about requiring doors, how can a ticket be written?

What about the old Jeeps that never had doors?

Wranglers are crash tested without doors and are not uni-body in design, where the doors are needed to stiffen the uni-body structure.

A law can only prevent future vehicles from taking their doors off, as no law can make you do anything like buying doors in-order-to stay on the road.

That is why old cars without seat belts were not required to retrofit them.​

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
It's in the vehicle code for PA, which I guess has always been open for officers to use as "probable cause" to pull you over.

The code specifies that if the car was built without doors, then it doesn't need the doors. Modern Wranglers are built with doors from the factory.
Sponsored