Verified: CB Radio Pre-Wired in New Wrangler

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This is cool news!!!! And I thought CB radios were a dying breed.

Pete01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
In Aust almost every 4wd has a cb.
Every JK that I know off has one.
I have the GME TX3345.
Super unit. The main unit is under the steering column. Plenty of room there.
The antenna is on my AEV bar.

SAM_0094 2.jpg

baboonslayer

First Name
Ronny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon
installed a CB on every Jeep that I have owned. having it pre-wired like a trailer hitch just makes life easier. I wonder if they terminate the Coax wire in the back and have it's length as a multiple of 3 to make tuning the antennae super easy.

Sponsored

jnr0104

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Rubicon, 2008 JKU Sport, 2004 TJ Sport
Occupation
Rancher
Well isn't that nice of them to offer CB radio pre wiring. Now all I need to wire is VHF,UHF,HF amateur radios and antennas, and my UHF business band radio.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
It would be nice if it were just pre-wired for a radio - give me power and a way to run an antenna to the rear, perhaps via a small dedicated conduit.

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I've installed several and this is a welcomed addition. It ain't hard but to hide wires takes some time.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds good, though wonder what type of antenna mount they will use and where. Or is it just wiring up some RG 8 to the tailgate and a wire somewhere. Which I suppose might be good or bad depending on what type of radio you have, that little CB in the photo is nice but that spot up at the top of the windshield won't work with my big HF rig.

Or do they install an all in one AM/FM/CB antenna like we saw back in the 70's when the CB craze was in full swing.

Weedwacker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
Or do they install an all in one AM/FM/CB antenna like we saw back in the 70's when the CB craze was in full swing.
I for one wouldn't mind the all in one antenna. One less thing to worry over. It just needs to be big enough to clear the roof line. My step-dad had a Riviera with the all in one and it worked better than the aftermarket antenna he had on his truck.

Sponsored

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
Now that the owner's manual has been leaked I can only find a couple mentions of a CB or radio transmitter, but nothing about pre-installed wiring or coax.

"The SOS Call system is embedded into the vehicle’s electrical system. Do not add aftermarket electrical equipment to the vehicle’s electrical system. This may prevent your vehicle from sending a signal to initiate an emergency call. To avoid interference that can cause the SOS Call system to fail, never add aftermarket equipment (e.g., two-way mobile radio, CB radio, data recorder, etc.) to your vehicle’s electrical system..." (They also felt the need to put it in the manual two times. )

Also noted in manual, " • Do not mount any accessories to the knee impact bolsters such as alarm lights, stereos, citizen band radios, etc." and "• The ABS contains sophisticated electronic equipment that may be susceptible to interference caused by improperly installed or high output radio transmitting equipment. This interference can cause possible loss of anti-lock braking capability. Installation of such equipment should be performed by qualified professionals. "

Weedwacker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
What the hell? They know that is the one of the first things we do to these vehicles.

Solar Sailor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Has the CB pre-wire been discovered yet in any of the options listings? It would make sense to have this as standard; however, if it is not standard in all models, it should really be included with the HD electrical option with the 4 aux electrical switches. I admit I am not pleased to see that the aux switches and HD electrical are bundled with the tow group.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Exchange of information and expertise

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Jay, is there any updated information on this? I know we have auxillary switches, at least in the Rubicon, but have you found any additional information on prewiring for a CB or was this something that was first planned then dropped? It ultimately won't matter, but I would at least like to see them have a firewall hole where wiring for antennas and power can be routed, even if there is no prewiring.
Sponsored