DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, TJs really had the plague, moreso than others. I've seen their frames rust in less than 10 years, but weak spots are known, and can be repaired. The biggest thing is to keep Jeeps clean underneath. I'm obsessive about it.
Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Here in Minnesota, so much salt is used in the winter that even the so-called factory corrosion coatings are not worth much. You can easily tell vehicles that are not undercoated and more than five years old...the fenders and door panels are perforated. I have always had all of my vehicles undercoated, even my cheap sub-compacts. I no longer use Ziebart...the 'life-time warranty' requires annual 'touch-ups' that cost about 1/3 of the original price. The last time I had an 'touch-up', I found that Ziebart had squirted some undercoating on the visible plastic wheel well linings and never touched any rusted areas.
The best undercoating (Auto Armor, Woodridge, Illinois) is done by my local Chevrolet dealer. They will undercoat any new vehicle of any brand. The warranty is for ten years . The undercoating seems to be unique...they first spray a greyish anticorrosion layer followed by a black outer coat. If you see any light colored spot on the chassis...it is time to have an outer coat reapplied.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here in Minnesota, so much salt is used in the winter that even the so-called factory corrosion coatings are not worth much. You can easily tell vehicles that are not undercoated and more than five years old...the fenders and door panels are perforated. I have always had all of my vehicles undercoated, even my cheap sub-compacts. I no longer use Ziebart...the 'life-time warranty' requires annual 'touch-ups' that cost about 1/3 of the original price. The last time I had an 'touch-up', I found that Ziebart had squirted some undercoating on the visible plastic wheel well linings and never touched any rusted areas.
The best undercoating is done by my local Chevrolet dealer. They will undercoat any new vehicle of any brand. The warranty is 'life-time' and they will do an annual inspection and touch-up free. The undercoating seems to be unique...they first spray a greyish anticorrosion layer followed by a black outer coat. If you see any light colored spot on the chassis...it is time to have an outer coat reapplied.
Do they use a certain brand or franchized process?

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ 2019 2DR JL Hellayella Rubicon (ORDERED 9/12/18)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone ever heard of Valueguard underbody treatment? My local line-X dealer applied this. I like Line-X but can't find much on Valueguard.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm currently hellbent on keeping my inner frame clean on my '17 JK. Glad to hear yours held up great with proper upkeep. Did you ever try coating the inner frame on your JK?

Years ago I bought a used 7yr old Rubicon. It being my 2nd ever Jeep purchase, I didn't realize rust was such an issue on Jeeps (as my first was clean) so I didn't check the undercarriage. It was soo shot, looked like a 25 year old vehicle, but the body was fine. I eventually sold it and made sure all my following Jeeps were rust free.
I'm a complete psycho when it comes to road salt + mud. Love to wheel, always wash it immediately after wheeling. I lay in my icy driveway cleaning my undercarriage if I get salt on my Jeeps. Neighbors probably think I'm pathetic. I do preventative upkeep every spring. The first year of owning my current JK I still had my old Jeep as well, so I never exposed the JK to winter conditions since it was brand new. I plan to keep the JK forever, so I'd love to know your experience on what areas seemed to need the most attention keeping clean&coated year after year. Thanks :beer: :flag:When I eventually buy a JL i'll be the same, but the build quality of JLs is so much better than the JK, I bet it'll hold up better to mud and winters.
The inside of my frame looks great. All I've done to it is religiously wash it out through the vent holes, sometimes with soapy water, sometimes just plain water.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I think "Salt-Away" is a great rust-prevention product. It was developed to prevent rust and neutralize salt crystal build up, it's applied as a wash, great for insides of frames, those hard to reach areas.
Google it, developed for the Aviation and Marine industry, order thru West Marine.
I use it every Spring, then have my 2015 " Rust Copped" (Carwell Industries).
Wish this had been done on my 2000 TJ by the original owners ! I bought it as a Resto Project, frame is worst I've ever seen

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
For those doing this, do y'all spray it on the springs, sway bar disconnects, shock rods, steering knuckles, etc? I heard not to spray it on the brakes but not sure where else I shouldn't.... ??

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
Used fluid film here in Chicago, this stuff smells but works great under the car. I apply it once a year with a spray gun to all my cars. I plan on using it on the JL when I get it.
Are you preparing your jeep for this winter doing undercoating and what is the product you will use this time?

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many people disagree with getting new vehicles undercoated, but I swear by Ziebart!

I had my 2006 TJ Rubicon Ziebart Undercoated when new and then had it re-sprayed at about 70,000 (?) miles. It now has about 103,000 miles and it is in storage, but the undercarriage still looks great, after MANY Northeast Ohio Winters with LOTS of salt on the roads.

I then had the same Ziebart Undercoating on my 2011 JK Rubicon when new. When I traded it in during the fall of 2015, the undercarriage still looked great.

I then had my 2016 JK Rubicon Ziebart Undercoated the same way. Looks great so far with 38,000 miles on it.

I do not get the complete rustproofing where they drill holes in the doors, and body. I just get the undercoating and it works great.
What about your new jeep wrangler jl what product did you use to undercoat and protec from salt winter?

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you preparing your jeep for this winter doing undercoating and what is the product you will use this time?
Do you still use fluid films till now to undercoat and protect from salt winter also can you show some pictures under jeep just to see if still good thanks.

Sponsored

SupK

First Name
Sup
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler
My JK has survived 10 winters in Indiana, with LOTS of road salt. The frame and everything underneath looks like new. Every Spring and Fall, I wash the underbody, then hit any spot that looks like it is even starting to rust with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Depending on the area, when it dries, I'll go over the top of it with Rustoleum flat black paint.

I also take care to go through touchless carwashes with underbody wash as often as possible when the roads are salted. I frequently wash clean water into the frame holes, too. From what I can see, they look pretty good inside.
How do you apply the rustoleum rust reformer for spot treatments? Do you just spray it on and is there any harm if you get it on non rusted areas surrounding the spot you are seeing rust on?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How do you apply the rustoleum rust reformer for spot treatments? Do you just spray it on and is there any harm if you get it on non rusted areas surrounding the spot you are seeing rust on?
I just spray it on. No issues.

SupK

First Name
Sup
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler
I just spray it on. No issues.
Sorry, so for a small spot like this you would spray on the rustoleum reformer and then spray flat black paint? How do you get it blend with the factory paint?

50EE713B-BFF9-4DB3-A646-C319F0E7F16E.jpeg

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
For a brand new Jeep, is spray on undercoating a bad idea? The factory coating seems very thin.
Sponsored