Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
So I have ben wondering if anyone has been running with the windshield down? If so what experience have you had? Any problem with leaks after folding it back up?
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
So I have ben wondering if anyone has been running with the windshield down? If so what experience have you had? Any problem with leaks after folding it back up?
I've taken it down just to see how hard it is and if I could.

I couldn't: not because the process was difficult, as it's trivial: 4 bolts, especially compared to the JK, but because my passenger's wiper blade was frozen on.

1 Amazon windshield wiper puller device later, and the wiper blades off, it presented no issues. Regardless, I only needed it down a small amount to string ball bungees around to attach a sunshade, so the frozen wiper blade was not an obstacle.

There have been absolutely no leaks, even despite the presence of these bungee cords.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I put mine down on Friday to install a sunshade and put it back up with no issues. The hardest part is lining the windshield wipers when putting them back on unless there's a trick I'm missing.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I put mine down on Friday to install a sunshade and put it back up with no issues. The hardest part is lining the windshield wipers when putting them back on unless there's a trick I'm missing.
There is. As per a YouTube video I saw, mark their position on the windshield by placing a bit of masking tape there prior to, and for the duration of their removal.

In my case the wipers came up to a low point on the windshield with a color change, so such tape wasn't needed.

Sponsored

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The windshield has built in markers for the wipers. There are sideways "T's" at the base of the windshield to mark the wiper position

Edit:
Here is a picture
IMG_0296.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
The windshield has built in markers for the wipers. There are sideways "T's" at the base of the windshield to mark the wiper position

Edit:
Here is a picture
IMG_0296.JPG
That is going to be some handy information to have once I get my JT. Thanks for the info.

avnmech

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I had my windshield down for a little bit, thing to remember when you put it back up, if you have a soft top is to loosen the front soft top rails, as you will have to manipulate them to get the windshield rubber seals on the upper corners back under them. This will prevent leaks. It's a couple of extra bolts, and a few more minutes of time, but over all it's way better than trying to drop the windshield on my JKU.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I did for a couple of days.

Pain in the behind to remove one of the wipers. After a LOT of WD-40 and extra strength I finally got it out. Also it was fun to line them back like factory. I think I'm off on one side but oh well.

Drove up to 49 mph and never saw the windshield ever move. I did not want to find out the max speed was though.

rubi!.jpg

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
I had my windshield down for a little bit, thing to remember when you put it back up, if you have a soft top is to loosen the front soft top rails, as you will have to manipulate them to get the windshield rubber seals on the upper corners back under them. This will prevent leaks. It's a couple of extra bolts, and a few more minutes of time, but over all it's way better than trying to drop the windshield on my JKU.
Was just going to add this hint. Good one

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I did for a couple of days.

Pain in the behind to remove one of the wipers. After a LOT of WD-40 and extra strength I finally got it out. Also it was fun to line them back like factory. I think I'm off on one side but oh well.

Drove up to 49 mph and never saw the windshield ever move. I did not want to find out the max speed was though.

rubi!.jpg
I was doing 45mph

Then this happened

3DBEBD06-6314-4E41-A0A9-15D8864BC0D0.jpeg

@JeepCares

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'll never know because it's illegal.

WindshieldLaw.jpg

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Driving 40+ plus with the windshield down??? It is only supposed to be down at low speeds offroad....

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
OK...What's an "implement of husbandry"?
Sponsored