Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Alright, let my start by saying this isn't going to be a Steel vs. Aluminum weight savings vs. durability debate, or a MC vs. QTec debate. That's not what I'm looking for.... it's strictly a cost/benefit analysis.

Question: the MC full system is $999. I was sold on this until I saw Quadratec is offering comparable (in coverage, at least) Aluminum skids, totaling roughly $847 + Shipping. I was 100% sold on the MC system for their design and coverage. However, it looks like I could save at least $150-200 alone by going with Quadratec.

Given this scenario, which would you choose and why? I'm curious if the design of the MC system is really worth the final difference, all things considered.

Considerations:
-I live in the Northeast so rust is a factor
-The Jeep is staying stock and handling lighter duty off road stuff for now (no more than a 3 out of 10 difficulty probably) due to limited time, and eventually bringing my wife and 2 year old son along who are not used to off roading.
-I would like to be able to build this Jeep into the same caliber of rig as my past 2 TJ's, being able to do some hard, technical trails on the weekend (probably eventually a lift and 37's), drive to work Monday, and take a road trip the following weekend. Similar goal to the LiteBrite JLUR, and several other builds on this forum which I've low key been using as inspiration for this build.
-I do most of my own work and would likely be installing in my driveway or a buddy's garage. I don't mind upgrading as needs change, but if I can pay a little more and have to only do it once, I am open to that.
-I haven't had a chance, but I was also considering reaching out to a few off road shops that are Authorized Metalcloak dealers within a ~200mi radius of where I live to see if I can maybe save some shipping that way. Has anyone in the Northeast gone this route?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Removed shipping charges because I was just on the Metalcloak site and they now offer free shipping to the lower 48 States on all orders over $100. So the difference is just the price at this point.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m kind of interested in this information as well, but where are you getting that pricing for the @Quadratec skids? The “full Monty” skids that includes the front sway bar and muffler skids, as well as the engine, transmission, transfer, and fuel tank skids lists for $1360. If you skip the front sway and muffler skids it’s still $1030. Where do you see full skids for $847?

Both MC and Quadratec ship free so that’s a non factor as far as total cost.

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
Hey there!

Both are very well made skid plate kits! We do offer a discount to forum members on most of the parts that we sell! If you find a skid plate kit on our website that you would like to get pricing on, just send us a PM and we will get a quote together for you ASAP! Thanks and have a great day!

-Justin

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
If this is strictly a cost / benefit comparison buy the cheaper one. Most of the important stuff is covered by the factory skids and both systems cover everything else you want covered. If you're not wheeling it hard, it would seem to me that all you want is peace of mind from gouging the frame or other components that would cause failure or rust.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
MC changed their shipping model within the last week or so. They are “free shipping” but the price is now $1199. I haven’t seen nor studied up on the quadratec but the MC is proven and protects excellent. However, if everything was even in price and protection, aluminum might hold up better in your climate. We’re in SE Texas so rust is a non-issue and the MC skids we have used and abused are going great and no rust from where we’ve scrapped the crap out of them.

Brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MC changed their shipping model within the last week or so. They are “free shipping” but the price is now $1199. I haven’t seen nor studied up on the quadratec but the MC is proven and protects excellent. However, if everything was even in price and protection, aluminum might hold up better in your climate. We’re in SE Texas so rust is a non-issue and the MC skids we have used and abused are going great and no rust from where we’ve scrapped the crap out of them.

Brett
You're correct, That was my mistake. I guess the price updated or I was looking at an old sale price.

I’m kind of interested in this information as well, but where are you getting that pricing for the @Quadratec skids? The “full Monty” skids that includes the front sway bar and muffler skids, as well as the engine, transmission, transfer, and fuel tank skids lists for $1360. If you skip the front sway and muffler skids it’s still $1030. Where do you see full skids for $847?

Both MC and Quadratec ship free so that’s a non factor as far as total cost.
Did not know they had free shipping. The prices I got were from a QTec email.
EDIT: You're correct. It looks like these prices are listed as "Starting at"; Many of them are for JK's and not JL's. the JL
ones are more money. Good catch.updated pricing.
Engine/Trans/ TCase package: $599
Fuel Tank: $429

My Motobilt Bumper will cover the swaybar, and I don't really want/ care about a Muffler skid. For that price I could probably find a Muffler relocation kit or something. I was planning on replacing that anyway (eventually) as it is in the way of suspension travel.

If this is strictly a cost / benefit comparison buy the cheaper one. Most of the important stuff is covered by the factory skids and both systems cover everything else you want covered. If you're not wheeling it hard, it would seem to me that all you want is peace of mind from gouging the frame or other components that would cause failure or rust.
Let me rephrase: This Jeep is not handling hardcore trail duty RIGHT NOW. it's a bit late in the season so I'll be lucky if i get out at all. Hoping next season I'll get out a little more. That said, I do like to push boundaries sometimes, and I want to be able to run a difficult trail here or there. I've seen how the factory skids hold up under hardcore wheeling and I do not want them bashing and bending if I decide to get a little crazy. Skidplates are one area i will spend extra money on something that is relatively bomb proof because I have been known to drive ham-fisted sometimes, and I want to be able to teach my wife (zero seat time on the trail) or toss my keys to one of my trusted Jeep friends and have them move it on a ride if need be (like If I'm out of the Jeep and helping recover another vehicle, etc). This Jeep will eventually see hardcore trail use, once I'm more used to the different dimensions (vs. my old TJ's) and I've got a few more miles on the clock. I want to be ready.and really don't want to have to address skidplates again. So buying the right ones that will hold up for the long run the first time is important, especially if I'm thinking about some longer range trips with more difficult trails in the coming years.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to (hopefully) have some down time where I can look up some more stuff this week. I'll update you all what I'm going with when I order.

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
They’re significantly more expensive than the Quadratec ones, but RockHard makes great skids. You won’t go wrong with Metalcloak either. The Quadratec ones are brand new. I don’t know of anybody on the forum that has them and has posted any review. But if the reviews on the website are to be believed they’re pretty good.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
They’re significantly more expensive than the Quadratec ones, but RockHard makes great skids. You won’t go wrong with Metalcloak either. The Quadratec ones are brand new. I don’t know of anybody on the forum that has them and has posted any review. But if the reviews on the website are to be believed they’re pretty good.
I'll have to check out Rockhard. When I first started searching I was looking at T&T Customs and only getting an engine/oil pan skid but once I started looking at the MC system, I Thought it was a better move for the price.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
updated pricing in my other post to reflect the QTec prices.
Engine/Trans/ TCase package: $599
Fuel Tank: $429
$1028 total

Still seems a tad cheaper than MC, and it is Aluminum so it won't rust as quick/ terrible. Includes new cross members as well, I remember someone else talking about this for another skid system but I can't remember who it was. Reviews for these seem pretty good, but the bolt heads seem to be exposed. I wheeled my TJ's HARD and sheared/ mangled the heads on some of the Skid bolts that were exposed. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens here eventually.

That was the nice thing about the MC system- All hardware was recessed and it included boat sides.It looks like the Engine/TCase skid for MC goes frame rail to frame rail, and the QTec one stops just short but is protected by reinforced cross members on the driverside frame rail gap. I can't count how many times I've gotten hung up on gaps in armor and had damage to my old Jeeps.

Side note, more for myself than anyone else: I also need to look ahead to what kind of lift I'm planning to run (Rock Krawler X-Factor, since I know those guys and they're local) and how that affects/ interferes with skidplates.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Adding one more: Surfing QTec and I see Mountain Off Road (MORE) has a system that is steel and looks well designed and constructed. Prices seem cheaper:
Oil pan/ Transmission skid: $331
(https://www.quadratec.com/p/mountai...-skid-plate-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-4-door)
Engine/TCase: $125.99
(https://www.quadratec.com/p/mountain-road/transfer-case-skid-plate-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-4-door)

Attaches to the factory cross members though, and I've heard those can be flimsy and could use some reinforcement. Anyone have any experience with the MORE system? Or can confirm that factory cross members are flimsy?

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m a MC promoter but if your heart is set on the quadratec, you could always change out the hardware to the boatside washers and flat hex head hardware. Exposed bolt heads would be a hard no from us and I would be concerned with the other design short cuts. I’d really like to get some in and evaluate them in person but that isn’t a well thought out feature.

Like chocolate thunder said, rock hard is nice as is artec.

Brett

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like the bolt heads on the Quadratec skids are recessed somewhat.
I just looked them up. I’m pretty impressed. They did recess the bolts and used flush hardware where they couldn’t. For the price $1300ish they include all under skids, front sway skid and rear muffler. Hopefully someone will order them and we can get the low down. Specs say 6mm which is a little under 1/4”.

Brett

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
If I do the QTec, I'd only be going with:
Engine/Trans/Tcase skid package: $599
Fuel Tank Skid: $429.
Total would be roughly $1029 according to the cart on QTec. I got a closer look at the bolt heads and they're not as bad as I initially thought. I can always swap out some hardware, the local store has a ton of options.

Major advantages to QTec that I can see:
-Won't rust
-Includes New, beefier cross members
- Total combined weight of the system according to user reviews is ~130lbs (80 for the eng skid pkg, 50 for the gas tank skid) vs. the listed 179 of MC
-Supposedly Aluminum dissipates heat better?
-Could ship as soon as my order is processed (vs. MC's 4-5 weeks on their website)

Major advantages to Metalcloak:
-Boatsides
-Belly skid goes frame rail to frame rail
-Recessed Hardware
-Has more coverage on each piece (edges are bent up to create a "tray" vs being a flat sheet with mounts like the Qtec)
-GOLD

Price difference is still pretty close, $170 if the prices on both websites are correct. I've got a little time, As my funding will probably get allocated for this at the end of the month. The MC is still a good price for everything you're getting and I've seen it used and abused, I know what it can handle. I haven't seen the QTec ones yet. Time to do some research.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cruising the forum and saw @TylerR put the Quadratec ones on in another thread. If you wouldn't mind me asking: How are they holding up? How do you like them so far? Anything you dislike?
Sponsored