KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you everyone! Now just need to figure out where to take it ...... Dealer or Discount Tire. Dealer makes me nervous as my main service guy is now the manager. Damn he did great work on my other Jeep Jk. Discount tire has always been flawless for me on my other cars.
Discount Tires hands down, I do my own 5 tire rotation as you only have to jack each corner up once and with a floor jack in my garage it take less than 30 minutes. I took my JK in to DT every other rotation or so as they will rotate and balance for free if you purchased from them.

Plan on buying Falken wildpeak aw3 LT255/80R17 (yes, I like the pizza cutter look) for the JL from them when its time for new rubber

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Discount Tires hands down, I do my own 5 tire rotation as you only have to jack each corner up once and with a floor jack in my garage it take less than 30 minutes. I took my JK in to DT every other rotation or so as they will rotate and balance for free if you purchased from them.

Plan on buying Falken wildpeak aw3 LT255/80R17 (yes, I like the pizza cutter look) for the JL from them when its time for new rubber
Lol! I hear ya! I’m at Discount tire now. Little bit of a wait but I feel better with them rotating my tires than the dealership. You’ll love the Falkens! I have the Falken MT’s and they look and feel awesome! Finally got a nice 80 degree day up here in metro Detroit so top is off and enjoyed the ride up to discount tire!

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Easy- five tire rotation.

What happens if you lose a tire and they have 25k miles on them? Now you’ve got three tires with 25k miles and one with no miles. You’ll either have to replace the three so they match the spare or replace the tire that blew and roll with two new and two old tires. I’d rather have four tires that are worn roughly the same and a new spare (replacing the blown tire) than the first situation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission

What happens if you lose a tire and they have 25k miles on them? Now you’ve got three tires with 25k miles and one with no miles. You’ll either have to replace the three so they match the spare or replace the tire that blew and roll with two new and two old tires. I’d rather have four tires that are worn roughly the same and a new spare (replacing the blown tire) that the first situation.
Yep makes sense! Thank you!!

TheGrendel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Recon

What happens if you lose a tire and they have 25k miles on them? Now you’ve got three tires with 25k miles and one with no miles. You’ll either have to replace the three so they match the spare or replace the tire that blew and roll with two new and two old tires. I’d rather have four tires that are worn roughly the same and a new spare (replacing the blown tire) that the first situation.
plus the camp that says you only have buy 4 new tires fails to remember that tires break down from UV exposure.

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5 tire rotation (rearward cross pattern), 20% more tread life and when you go to buy new tires you can switch it up if want. Plus, I personally do not like the look of brand new spare hanging on the back. Seeing a used spare I think "they know whats going on" ;)

upload_2019-6-7_11-11-51.jpeg
Ok just had Discount Tire do the rear cross rotation method. Def seems a bit noisier on the rear drivers side. Is this normal?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you everyone! Now just need to figure out where to take it ...... Dealer or Discount Tire. Dealer makes me nervous as my main service guy is now the manager. Damn he did great work on my other Jeep Jk. Discount tire has always been flawless for me on my other cars.
If their best mechanic got promoted to manager - that's a sign of a well-run shop. Hopefully he runs a tight ship and hires other good mechanics.

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If their best mechanic got promoted to manager - that's a sign of a well-run shop. Hopefully he runs a tight ship and hires other good mechanics.
Yep for sure but he’s not in until Tuesday so I went discount tire instead.

Sponsored

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
5 and I do it myself. Don't need to worry about somebody mixing up the pattern I request.

Also, I agree with whoever said they don't know what the next set of tires they're going to get. I have some itty bitty guys on there now, but once I wear out all 5 I'm thinking at least 35's.

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok just had Discount Tire do the rear cross rotation method. Def seems a bit noisier on the rear drivers side. Is this normal?
Any advice on this? Is the noisiness normal?

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Any advice on this? Is the noisiness normal?

I’m guessing you’re not getting replies because no one has encountered that. I sure haven’t.

I’m sure it’s not normal, though. I would be concerned too.

Tire monkeys invent new ways to screw up every day, I reckon. I try to limit their access to my ride as much as possible.

I love DT, but when you watch those guys work, you can clearly see that speed is a highly valued attribute.

Care? Precision? Maybe not so much.

Reckon I’ll just rotate my own.
It will either be done right or I’ll know who to blame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m guessing you’re not getting replies because no one has encountered that. I sure haven’t.

I’m sure it’s not normal, though. I would be concerned too.

Tire monkeys invent new ways to screw up every day, I reckon. I try to limit their access to my ride as much as possible.

I love DC, but when you watch those guys work, you can clearly see that speed is a highly valued attribute.

Care? Precision? Maybe not so much.

Reckon I’ll just rotate my own.
It will either be done right or I’ll know who to blame.
I hear ya but this guy took his time. He let me in the bay with him as he taught me about the 5 tire rotation. I think maybe the backs were a little more worn cuz I drive in 2H most of the time. So fronts had more tread maybe which would account for louder tire noise when they rotated to back?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I hear ya but this guy took his time. He let me in the bay with him as he taught me about the 5 tire rotation. I think maybe the backs were a little more worn cuz I drive in 2H most of the time. So fronts had more tread maybe which would account for louder tire noise when they rotated to back?
Front tires typically wear faster than rears due to cornering.
Sponsored