Sponsored

5 Wheel or 4 Wheel tire rotation?

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Okay I just turned 5,000 miles on my Rubicon. Do you guys recommend 5 or 4 wheel tire rotation? I love my falken mts so I’ll probably get the same set again when these wear out. So in this case I was thinking just a 4 wheel tire rotation so I won’t have one brand new noisy tire in the road. Lol! What are you guys thoughts?
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
You'll get both sides of that argument here. Some swear by 5-tire rotation... others don't bother. I figure you'll increase the tire life by approx. 20% since you have a fifth one in the mix, but on the other hand you'll need to replace all 5 when the time comes. Can't say one is better than the other. I currently do 5-tire rotations FWIW.

You might find this information helpful on this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tires-and-rotation.14872/

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I'm in the 5-tire camp. Every 5,000 miles. Will increase your tire life by 25%.

However if you're the type of person to go longer for tire rotations (10k+), then go with 4 tire rotation. Because in that scenario you'll have too uneven of a wear to rotate the spare in.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I don’t know now what tires I’ll want next, so using all 5 up and being free to pick a new set of 5, of any brand or size seems a good thing to me.

Also, I’ve had 3 tire failures in the last 2 years. 2 trailer blowouts on the same trip (7 year-old tires), and a belt failure on the front of my Dually. Fortunately it didn’t blow, and I caught it. (6 year-old tire).

All 3 had plenty of tread. Tires fail internally over time, and my Jeep spare lives in full Texas and Colorado sun.

No way I’d trust a spare through 2 sets of tires.

5 for me.

Sponsored

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
Five tire rotation...as stated above, you get a 20% longer service life out of your set. Rubber compounds deteriorate with time, optimally good for five years or so. If you don't use the spare, it may have tread left, but it won't be as safe and reliable if you need to use it.

TxJeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 IH Scout, a few others
I’ll be the odd man out and say 4. It’s less complicated to explain to the tire shop, and when I did 5 in the past on my Jeeps, I usually had trail damage and was replacing tires sooner than expected anyway. I just move them front to back now and stay on top of the alignment. It’s a personal decision though, so do what you want.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
5, tires will last longer.

An old tire that was never used in the rotation, is more likely to blow out.

Eventually you will need to replace that 5th tire anyway, elements cause dryrot.

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Great input! Thanks everyone! I’ll stick to the 5 tire rotation I think. How about rebalancing? How many miles do you guys wait until you have the tires balanced again? I would assume at 5,000 miles I don’t have to do that yet do I?

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Great input! Thanks everyone! I’ll stick to the 5 tire rotation I think. How about rebalancing? How many miles do you guys wait until you have the tires balanced again? I would assume at 5,000 miles I don’t have to do that yet do I?
I picked up an Americas Tire warranty on all 5 that includes free rotation and balancing. Might want to look in to that. Otherwise I'd probably check and rebalance every other rotation.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Okay I just turned 5,000 miles on my Rubicon. Do you guys recommend 5 or 4 wheel tire rotation? I love my falken mts so I’ll probably get the same set again when these wear out. So in this case I was thinking just a 4 wheel tire rotation so I won’t have one brand new noisy tire in the road. Lol! What are you guys thoughts?
I was doing 5 until one of mine developed a defect of some kind, it’s a little out of round, not so bad I can’t use it just annoying when it’s on as one of the 4. So I’m in the 5 tire rotation camp, yet I can only do 4 at this time ...:facepalm:..... :)

Doctorit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Curious what the dealers do?... Jeep Wave gives us those 4 (5?) free service visits.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
5 tire rotation (rearward cross pattern), 20% more tread life and when you go to buy new tires you can switch it up if want. Plus, I personally do not like the look of brand new spare hanging on the back. Seeing a used spare I think "they know whats going on" ;)

upload_2019-6-7_11-11-51.jpeg

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you everyone! Now just need to figure out where to take it ...... Dealer or Discount Tire. Dealer makes me nervous as my main service guy is now the manager. Damn he did great work on my other Jeep Jk. Discount tire has always been flawless for me on my other cars.