Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Howdy Folks,

As we limeys were late to the party I thought I'd open a thread for UK owners to share their joys/woes to see if there are any common trends on the RHD models. After my first three months of Jeep ownership I can attest to the following:

Pros:
  • Handsome truck, well designed, draws attention and compliments aplenty.
  • Exclusivity. Still haven't seen another JL in my neck of the woods.
  • Looks massive but this is a design trick as the proportions are actually quite sensible.
  • I live in a rural area but it's actually great around town, impressive turning circle for such a long vehicle.
  • Comfortable and high quality cabin with chunky controls, nothing is going to wear out quickly.
  • Rubicon model has every conceivable tech you could wish for as standard short of a HUD and auto-dip headlights.
  • Fast (2.0 turbo anyways) and minimal body roll, surprised a few hot hatch drivers in the dry.
  • 28mpg average is good for a 4x4 shed on wheels.
  • Surprisingly quiet up to ~60mph and then wind noise/transmission starts to make its presence felt.
  • Awesome stereo (once the Charlie Brown teacher front speaker buzz got fixed).
  • LED headlights are massively bright and regularly upset other road users even on dip .
  • No rainwater leaks whatsoever.
Cons:
  • Stock BFG Mud Terrain tyres are absolutely lethal on wet asphalt and will be replaced asap.
  • Intruder alarm goes off on its own accord (trip to dealer planned).
  • Reverse camera and Parkview guidelines only work when they feel like it (trip to dealer planned).
  • The little tiddly pebbles that immediately get trapped between the body and the plastic fenders (tasteful 1/4" rubber fuel line fix applied).
  • It's by no means a serious issue, but the truck needs constant subtle corrections at the wheel to hold a straight line, even on the most level of roads. I've no experience of other Jeeps to compare this to, but this was the norm when I used to own LR Defenders. I just didn't expect to encounter it on a vehicle designed 45 years later.
On balance it's a great truck and provided the local dealer sorts out the warranty stuff without any tomfoolery I think it's going to be a long-term keeper, maybe a future weekend warrior project if I can convince the missus that I need another smaller faster weekday mode of transport :)
Sponsored

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Do you have any pics of this "venting channel"? I don't believe our JLs have them in the USA.

Sorry, I couldn't resist; but in my defense, I did think (at first) this was some UK specific part.

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Does your 2.0 turbo have the BSG, "mild hybrid" set up ? If not, I'm hoping to simplify mine to be like the Euro version once it's out of warranty....

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
As for the alarm going off - the button on the FOB is VERY sensitive, and it will go off even if the engine is on. When I first pulled into the garage after driving mine home, I barely tapped the remote and the alarm went off, leaving me to think something was malfunctioning. I've had it go off a few times since in my pocket, but have since gotten better about it somehow because it hasn't gone off in awhile.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
Yea, that live axel does like to move about a bit, and the steering is vague, even when working properly. However, you can basically drive over anything you can put your tyre on, and the thing is just a lot of fun overall.

Peace and freedom from across the pond!

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Does your 2.0 turbo have the BSG, "mild hybrid" set up ? If not, I'm hoping to simplify mine to be like the Euro version once it's out of warranty....
No we don’t get the BSG in the Euro version.

Frontal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2.2 diesel
As for the alarm going off - the button on the FOB is VERY sensitive, and it will go off even if the engine is on. When I first pulled into the garage after driving mine home, I barely tapped the remote and the alarm went off, leaving me to think something was malfunctioning. I've had it go off a few times since in my pocket, but have since gotten better about it somehow because it hasn't gone off in awhile.
The alarm going off is a specific UK issue.

The alarm is a Mopar approved one fitted by a third party, but currently all/most of the JL's are suffering from an issue with the alarm randomly going off.

I was lucky to get the latest FCA test fix fitted a couple of weeks ago, and so far no problems.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Gus, my ancestors came to the US from Scotland in the 1700's, so I hope my little bit of heritage allows for a comment. ;):)

Reference to steering I am also getting more familiar with how my JL drives. Small smooth corrections is the ticket for me. Years ago my Dad had an old Ford truck that had at the time an I-Beam front suspension. It reminds me of driving that old truck. Nothing bad, just different from anything with an independent front suspension, and front wheel drive. Enjoy your Jeep brother. :rock:

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
The alarm going off is a specific UK issue.

The alarm is a Mopar approved one fitted by a third party, but currently all/most of the JL's are suffering from an issue with the alarm randomly going off.

I was lucky to get the latest FCA test fix fitted a couple of weeks ago, and so far no problems.
Thanks, wasn't aware of that. Disregard my previous post ;)

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any pics of this "venting channel"? I don't believe our JLs have them in the USA.

Sorry, I couldn't resist; but in my defense, I did think (at first) think this was some UK specific part.
I_see.gif

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
Very pleased with mine so far, apart from gremlins with the stop/start and front park assist systems.

I took it to my nearest dealer in Leeds yesterday to get the front sensors sorted which have never worked since I collected it from the supplying dealer in Oxford earlier this year. When I collected it from Oxford it was just over 4 months old with around 2200 miles on the clock.

On checking progress with the dealer in Leeds mid day yesterday they told me there was an urgent steering recall that they had addressed and that they had got the front sensors working. The stop/start was proving more problematical and wasn't linked to the Aux battery condition.

I was unaware that there was a recall for the steering system. However, when I got home last night, the recall letter had arrived in the post. Jeep recall V26. It relates to the risk of foreign debris in the steering shaft boot that could cause the steering to lock up.
The dealer said the cost of the parts was ÂŁ1200 and they had 8 available, so were obviously expecting vehicles back.

When I collected it in the evening they still hadn't sorted the stop/start and asked me to book it in for a week so they could raise a ticket with FCA to diagnose.

As soon as I drove it in the dealer car park, I could tell the front sensors weren't working :mad:
A technician came out and put this down to the fact that they had washed the vehicle after repairing the sensors, so water must have got into the front loom. I suggested that they should fix it properly when it goes back in for the stop/start issue.

On the way home, the stop/start started to work, despite them saying they couldn't fix it, although no warning message appears on the centre dash if it is manually switched off, so it isn't 100% correct.

It was frustrating that I had a wasted 50 mile round trip to not get my front sensors repaired, but at least the safety critical recall has been sorted.
Hopefully they will bottom out the sensors and stop/start in July when they have it for a full week.

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
Arnold Clarke in Leeds, have had my Wrangler for a week to fix the park sensors, ESS and alarm.
After three calls by myself today to find out if it was ready, (with failed promises of calling me back) I finally got to talk to someone who could give me an update.

Apparently a Jeep technician has been out today to diagnose the problems as the local "technicians" were unable to resolve the problem.
Hard to believe, but it needs an ECU which is on backorder :(

So another wasted round trip of 50 miles and still no fix.
I need to collect it tomorrow and then book another appointment once they have the parts.

Really not good enough on a vehicle that is close to ÂŁ50k. And very poor service and communication from the dealer in Leeds.

OP
OP
GeeBee

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
After three calls by myself today to find out if it was ready, (with failed promises of calling me back) I finally got to talk to someone who could give me an update
This has been my exact same experience with Arnold Clark in Aberdeen. I think it must be company policy to promise to call back and then let the customer call four times before providing any feedback. :angry:

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Arnold Clarke in Leeds, have had my Wrangler for a week to fix the park sensors, ESS and alarm.
After three calls by myself today to find out if it was ready, (with failed promises of calling me back) I finally got to talk to someone who could give me an update.

Apparently a Jeep technician has been out today to diagnose the problems as the local "technicians" were unable to resolve the problem.
Hard to believe, but it needs an ECU which is on backorder :(

So another wasted round trip of 50 miles and still no fix.
I need to collect it tomorrow and then book another appointment once they have the parts.

Really not good enough on a vehicle that is close to ÂŁ50k. And very poor service and communication from the dealer in Leeds.
Hi Tony...are you getting a loaner whilst they’re messing about with yours?
Sponsored